fraggle

That never end quest .... best grease for reels

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Jig It said:

For example, Shimano may use 5 different greases to service different components of one reel.

Shimano......  If it can be done with 10 parts they will find a way to use 20.....

21 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Shimano......  If it can be done with 10 parts they will find a way to use 20.....

I never understood that. 

Talica is one of the simplest leverdags

Nasci Saragosa spheros.... Super simple. 

Tranx curado etc very simple baitcasters 

Only reels with worm drive oscillation get complex... 

Many reels use different lubes.

A huge thank you to every one who has added to this debate, special thanks to scooby who was the inspiration of this post....

My only real or reel experience has been with "Quantum Hot Sauce" and strangely it has not been mentioned this time. I have used it with good results on my Daiwa Certate's,  but I guess times move on to newer / better grease.

I have been given plenty of food for thought and lots of options to try out on my larger reels.

Big thank you again!

A good product is Dow High Vacuum grease it is a non petroleum grease that will not break down rubber O-rings or Teflon.

6 hours ago, KempOC said:

A good product is Dow High Vacuum grease it is a non petroleum grease that will not break down rubber O-rings or Teflon.

Which part of the reel would you use it on? NLGI Grade 3-4 looks pretty thick and does not list metal on metal.

Dow corning makes some of the best sealants that I've used, no doubts about high quality stuff just curious about use. 

I worked in maintenance in a Pharma site, we used Dow Vacuum grease on all of the equipment on site because it does not break down Teflon or Rubber O-rings. So if you used it on a Penn reel spool shaft it would not affect the Teflon drag washer. It also is great for wet surfaces for water proofing. If you need to set washers on a spool shaft the vacuum grease holds the surfaces together to aid in assembly. I use it when I do brakes on my vehicles, it is a great silicone based grease.

On 24/02/2022 at 7:25 PM, scoobydoo said:

Since I last posted those suggestions.

This is what I've settled on.

For starters.

Tungsten disulphide is like magic.......some believe in it some don't....

I do....I add it to all grease and oil...when gears at their mating surfaces squeeze out virtually all lubricant leaving behind nothing but a film....I feel the ws2 like molybdnum disulfide only better....adds another level of protection.

My go to grease for about 2 years has been Aquashield mixed with WS2......and for specific applications I thin it with corrosion x oil.

Tef Gel mixed with WS2 is very good 

Both greases you have have to be certain not to get it in places that can cause binding/sluggishness.  Don't apply them to shafts where they contact the inner bore of the pinion....be prepared to thin aquashield if binding occurs under the oscillation gear.

Those two greases out perform every other grease I've used in terms of adhesion, staying put, resistance to wash out, and emulsifiying with water.....virtually all others sluff away and leave a coating that does little to afford any protection.  And usually only serves as a magnet for abrasives/ contaminants  to adhere to.

Corrosion x grease is good.....however it turns brown with time......looks like someone took a **** in your reel.  It protects well.....but not as well as the ones listed above.

I've used the aquashield mix commercially on over 300 reels and haven't had an issue pertaining to wear or corrosion on a single one.  I've now been referring it to the service centers we've contracted to do warranty repair on our reels.

Krytox is very good....and very expensive.   I moved away from it as it doesn't play well with any other oil that I prefer.  And it's costly.

There is another application that I'm going to try it with (which I brought up to a co worker 10 minutes before he showed me this thread.....)

Daiwa grease is very thin, works great under nylon osclilation gears.

Corrosion x oil  and tsi 321 are the only oils I use...with an honerable mention of corrosion x hd.  Mix with ws2 or use straight......mix corrosion x oil with aquashield down do a gel and use on worms

Big thank you for the info regards grease and oil scoobydoo....

It was really helpful!!!!

Would you kindly tell me how much tungsten disulphide to add with the grease ?

I am hoping to mix some tungsten disulphide in with the grease next time I service my reels...

Thanks again and kind regards.

Went through this recently myself and settled on two things, (1) Superlube works great, (2) it doesn’t matter what you use. We’re talking about a set of gears that is going to rotate less in its lifetime than a car engine is going to in an hour, the chances of your lubrication choice having an appreciable (and statistically significant) impact are very low. As long as you have some lubricant, you’re fine. 

No mention of this one. Thought VS includes it with seals in their ....

NYE Lubricants RHEOLUBE 362HB Synthetic Light Damping Grease 25 Jar

2 hours ago, Camhabib said:

(2) it doesn’t matter what you use.

This is the answer. I tend to use Cal's on everything, because I have a pound of it. I've used a dozen other lubes over the years, nothing works any better or any worse.

Water contamination is the only real issue with fishing reels, and no lube that I've used lasts noticably longer than another.

To a point, grease is grease maintaining your feel regularly and it will last a long time.

On 2/24/2022 at 3:29 AM, fraggle said:

Hi guys I am new to this ... so please forgive me if I make mistakes. I am searching to find the best grease for the gears in a fixed spool reel !

I was reading scooby's post ...

"2017 has proven to be the year of the lube for me :)

Krytox 227

krytox 225

Tungsten disulfide

Corrosion x grease

Daiwa grease

Tossed royal purple in the trash"

Is that still the case?  and why are there two grades of Krytox ?

Thanks for your help!!!!

The best grease you can use is the grease that you put into use the most.

HH

On 2/25/2022 at 0:27 AM, EricL said:

I use yamaha blue marine, cals for drag, basic included oils or many years.

Cheap. Hasnt ever failed me. Dont see any reason to change. Im still using the tubs i got 10 years ago.  Even use it around the house for everything.

Lubricants arent the end all magically solution to fix everything.  Normal routine preventative maintenance is best.

If your fixed spool has bad gears already. Grease wont fix it.  Change the gears.

If it has a great working set, even dollar store grease will keep it running great.

+1