fraggle

That never end quest .... best grease for reels

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hi guys I am new to this ... so please forgive me if I make mistakes. I am searching to find the best grease for the gears in a fixed spool reel !

I was reading scooby's post ...

"2017 has proven to be the year of the lube for me :)

Krytox 227

krytox 225

Tungsten disulfide

Corrosion x grease

Daiwa grease

Tossed royal purple in the trash"

Is that still the case?  and why are there two grades of Krytox ?

Thanks for your help!!!!

I’ve been using Superlube Teflon grease for a long time.  Always seems to protect and perform well. 

29 mins ago, DZ said:

I’ve been using Superlube Teflon grease for a long time.  Always seems to protect and perform well. 

Someone here recommended this to me last year or the year before when I was looking for a non petroleum grease for my Penn 720z & 722z.   

I've been really happy with it.  

The blue Penn grease always feels sluggish to me for a bit then loosens up with use.   The Superlube has been great from the start and has stayed great.  

Posted (edited)

This is what l have been using since the 90s along with their motor oil, you can use it right out of the tub or add oil for a winter blend to thin it out some.

About 10.00 for both.

62178a03a3190_ValvolineGreaseRed.png.27bd622bed040090f238900e0a6ff0c9.png

62178a0263b68_Valvolineoil.jpg.2c6e66cd846d0465d024bb96d4ba83a7.jpg

Edited by LB

I use yamaha blue marine, cals for drag, basic included oils or many years.

Cheap. Hasnt ever failed me. Dont see any reason to change. Im still using the tubs i got 10 years ago.  Even use it around the house for everything.

Lubricants arent the end all magically solution to fix everything.  Normal routine preventative maintenance is best.

If your fixed spool has bad gears already. Grease wont fix it.  Change the gears.

If it has a great working set, even dollar store grease will keep it running great.

Posted (edited)

I don't believe there's one best Grease just that having Grease of good quality will do its job and work.

I use whatever I can get for for cheap never have anything fail due to lack of lubrication, I do not use spinning reels since the last 26 years but when I did I'd use anything but what I have right now is in the picture below.

IMG_20220224_122442.jpg.17792042e12ad79856b84606f9750164.jpg

I use this stuff at work on aluminum bolts which go through the anodizing process , most times theres quite a bit of it still left on the threads when it comes out.

I use this on my winches with no worry.

HH

IMG_20220224_122446.jpg

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Never had a problem with Lubrimatic Marine Bearing grease.

Walmart sells it and so does every auto parts retailer.

A tub will last you for many years.

Super Lube is also good stuff.

10 hours ago, fraggle said:

Hi guys I am new to this ... so please forgive me if I make mistakes. I am searching to find the best grease for the gears in a fixed spool reel !

I was reading scooby's post ...

"2017 has proven to be the year of the lube for me :)

Krytox 227

krytox 225

Tungsten disulfide

Corrosion x grease

Daiwa grease

Tossed royal purple in the trash"

Is that still the case?  and why are there two grades of Krytox ?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Since I last posted those suggestions.

This is what I've settled on.

For starters.

Tungsten disulfide is like magic.......some believe in it some don't....

I do....I add it to all grease and oil...when gears at their mating surfaces squeeze out virtually all lubricant leaving behind nothing but a film....I feel the ws2 like molybdnum disulfide only better....adds another level of protection.

My go to grease for about 2 years has been Aquashield mixed with WS2......and for specific applications I thin it with corrosion x oil.

Tef Gel mixed with WS2 is very good 

Both greases you have have to be certain not to get it in places that can cause binding/sluggishness.  Don't apply them to shafts where they contact the inner bore of the pinion....be prepared to thin aquashield if binding occurs under the oscillation gear.

Those two greases out perform every other grease I've used in terms of adhesion, staying put, resistance to wash out, and emulsifiying with water.....virtually all others sluff away and leave a coating that does little to afford any protection.  And usually only serves as a magnet for abrasives/ contaminants  to adhere to.

Corrosion x grease is good.....however it turns brown with time......looks like someone took a **** in your reel.  It protects well.....but not as well as the ones listed above.

I've used the aquashield mix commercially on over 300 reels and haven't had an issue pertaining to wear or corrosion on a single one.  I've now been referring it to the service centers we've contracted to do warranty repair on our reels.

Krytox is very good....and very expensive.   I moved away from it as it doesn't play well with any other oil that I prefer.  And it's costly.

There is another application that I'm going to try it with (which I brought up to a co worker 10 minutes before he showed me this thread.....)

Daiwa grease is very thin, works great under nylon osclilation gears.

Corrosion x oil  and tsi 321 are the only oils I use...with an honerable mention of corrosion x hd.  Mix with ws2 or use straight......mix corrosion x oil with aquashield down do a gel and use on worms

What kind of reel? $100 bucks reel easier to use off label greases. If you're looking for grease for servicing expensive reels, I'd start thinking about manufacturer service or manufacturer's greases. For example, Shimano may use 5 different greases to service different components of one reel.

Regarding off label use greases, I think it takes volume and trial can produce a good match, look at scooby's post, but you still need to know how to mix that stuff right I'm sure. 

My favorite is corrosion block been using for years it don’t seem to stiffen up as much as others I’ve tried in the colder months.

F6F09AF1-5C8A-4513-8246-A1F2F2FE4C75.jpeg

Try Zebas Reel lube. I use it in my Van Stall `s ,Penn`s, Shimano`s, . It works great without getting solidified during cold weather. It`s  synthetic and made to Ron`s specs @ zebas. It works great.