MitchellNJ

Shotgun barrel work

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I'm starting to call around to see if a gunsmith would be willing to bore and tap my shotgun for screw in chokes. Has anyone had any experience with getting something like this done? Seems finding an actual barrel these days is few and far between and when they do show up, they're outrageously priced. Not sure what to expect price wise for the smith to get it done. I'm also torn between doing this or buying another shotgun that can accept both 3" and 2.75" shells with removable choke tubes.

Somebody here recommended this year's ago to me.  He doesn't answer his phone. I boxed up my barrels. In the box was a personal check and a note on what I wanted. Turnaround time was less than 2 weeks. 

4 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Somebody here recommended this year's ago to me.  He doesn't answer his phone. I boxed up my barrels. In the box was a personal check and a note on what I wanted. Turnaround time was less than 2 weeks. 

Guy lives about 20 miles from me but I've never had him do any work. Comes highly recommended on Shotgunners World. I heard he never responds to emails but you can usually get him on the phone.  :why:

Me, I'd buy a new gun. Never have too many.  :laugh:

9 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Guy lives about 20 miles from me but I've never had him do any work. Comes highly recommended on Shotgunners World. I heard he never responds to emails but you can usually get him on the phone.  :why:

Me, I'd buy a new gun. Never have too many.  :laugh:

I'm leaning that way. The bummer is that the thing won't cycle 2.75 shells or I'd go all in with getting this worked on beyond the choke.

What do you use the gun for ? Do you need 3 inch for waterfowl loads ? Why doesn't it cycle 2.75 shells ? I'd fix that problem first as it points to an issue of basic function . Damn do you need a better excuse to buy a new gun and get that one worked on .

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, devince said:

What do you use the gun for ? Do you need 3 inch for waterfowl loads ? Why doesn't it cycle 2.75 shells ? I'd fix that problem first as it points to an issue of basic function . Damn do you need a better excuse to buy a new gun and get that one worked on .

It's an 1100 magnum with a 3" only barrel and a fixed full choke. None of the 3" Remington barrels cycle 2.75. It's currently my turkey gun but a buddy asked if I wanted to go shoot some clays. Not really the platform for that sort of thing. I would prefer to put a X-Full choke in it for turkey.

Edited by MitchellNJ

33 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

It's an 1100 magnum with a 3" only barrel and a fixed full choke. None of the 3" Remington barrels cycle 2.75. It's currently my turkey gun but a buddy asked if I wanted to go shoot some clays. Not really the platform for that sort of thing. I would prefer to put a X-Full choke in it for turkey.

Generally those magnums only cycle the 3". Sometimes they will cycle 2 3/4" heavy game loads.  Try some 2 3/4" buckshot. Also make sure the gas port is clean a gas rings are intact. 

As for do it all guns. The Benelli Nova is a good one. It can shoot 2 3/4"-3 1/2".  Usually they Are under $500. I have one. It's a bit cumbersome when using it for pheasant but great for turkey and Waterfowl so far. 

I'm confused . The chamber is 2.75 or 3 not the barrel , the barrel is the gauge - 12 , 20 ,etc.. Is it a gas port problem not cycling , that has nothing to do with the barrel . I may be misunderstanding the issue .

7 hours ago, devince said:

I'm confused . The chamber is 2.75 or 3 not the barrel , the barrel is the gauge - 12 , 20 ,etc.. Is it a gas port problem not cycling , that has nothing to do with the barrel . I may be misunderstanding the issue .

The barrel has one gas port which causes it to improperly cycle a 2.75 round. Heavy or Handicap loads seem to work.

I think I just need a second gun for clays

Posted (edited)

53 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

The barrel has one gas port which causes it to improperly cycle a 2.75 round. Heavy or Handicap loads seem to work.

I think I just need a second gun for clays

What's your budget?  

The CZ drake (over under) is usually found in the $700 range. It's a hunting gun but does fine on the skeet and clays. CZ does have trap guns but cost will double or triple.  

Used Beretta or Benelli (semi auto) can be found $1k-2k but they don't stay for sale very long. 

Edited by LBI SurfRat

18 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

What's your budget?  

The CZ drake (over under) is usually found in the $700 range. It's a hunting gun but does fine on the skeet and clays. CZ does have trap guns but cost will double or triple.  

Used Beretta or Benelli (semi auto) can be found $1k-2k but they don't stay for sale very long. 

I'm working on that part. Making plans for after turkey season closes.