Northeast Guy in Clearwater

Rate this topic

mikeadams

Hello team Florida,

I am a Connecticut surfcaster who will be in the Clearwater area for a week in July of this year. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to generally tell me if there are any decent places within 50 miles or so of Clearwater to surfcast?

If anyone would be willing to share a tip or two with me within a 5 mile radius of anywhere decent to surfcast I would be happy to reciprocate when you come up to the Northeast to fish on private message. 

I’d really like to surfcast at night for Tarpon but have no idea if that is on the table in that area or not.

I am not asking anyone to spot burn and I would never do that. I’m just trying to get a general idea if it’s worth bringing the surfcasting gear or not.

Thanks a million in advance to all the Florida guys out there :howdy:

(CT fish example lol)F46FD22E-3D45-485B-BCD7-800526ADC430.jpeg.2b0f095d0af762d9d4c97f4822bd95f2.jpeg

I'm not a Floridian, but typically head down to fish FL for a week or so during June or July...If you don't mind an hour drive or so south (crossing the skyway bridge), snook fill in along the beaches and jetties at that of the year and can be very easy to catch. Looks at the towns just south of Sarasota for example...If you're looking to stay local to Clearwater, others more local or familiar can help you there

On 2/22/2022 at 7:25 PM, albacized said:

I'm not a Floridian, but typically head down to fish FL for a week or so during June or July...If you don't mind an hour drive or so south (crossing the skyway bridge), snook fill in along the beaches and jetties at that of the year and can be very easy to catch. Looks at the towns just south of Sarasota for example...If you're looking to stay local to Clearwater, others more local or familiar can help you there

Excellent, thank you!!

Indian Shores is good for surf casting, check out Fort Desoto, nice long pristine beaches with great depth and beautiful scenery, all a hop skip jump from Clearwater Beach. Dunedin beach or Honeymoon Island is also nice as well as very close, a nice long, long stretch of beach into never never land lol And if by Dunedin, stop off at the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs, just a bit north of there, not so much for fishing but to enjoy the festivities! I grew up over there, so I hung out all these places mentioned, fished them and so forth. Still do. There’s also a ferry to Caladesi island that allows rods. It’s an island at the end of Clearwater beach encircled by pure white beach, a surf casters dream! All these areas have produced for me with the right tide, weather, etc. And if not catching, they are all very fun to explore! 

On 3/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, Snook_Slayr said:

If targeting tarpon use one inline single on the tail or two inlines filed not too pointy but sticky and flatten barbs, hookset with heavy drag then back down to 2lb and use your palm to put heat on them, don't bow.

Do you guys have any “must have” lure suggestions for snook, redfish and tarpon?

thank you!

Hello Mike!

We’ve been down here in SE FL for about a year and a half now. I fished the NY striper surf for 40+ years. At least for me, I’d say 90% of my fishing has been for snook, almost always at night, and almost always around structure. For me, the one lure I wouldn’t head down to the shore without is the bucktail. I’ve actually had more luck with the “NY style” true bucktail than with a “FL style” flare hawk; I surmise this is due to the more buoyant nature of bucktails as opposed to the faster sink of a flare hawk which are always tied with nylon fibers. I’m just more used to fishing bucks.

This is almost all while wading under bridges.

I’m not into the ocean fishing piers. On the ocean side it’s all casting from the beach.

OTOH, listen to the guys here that have been here a LOT longer than I have. From what I’ve heard the MirroLure is THE go-to plug, but I’ve had others tell me that Bombers are good. I haven’t hit anything on any large wood like metal lips.

Edited by Bass2Snook

<p><p></p></p>

9 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

Hello Mike!

We’ve been down here in SE FL for about a year and a half now. I fished the NY striper surf for 40+ years. At least for me, I’d say 90% of my fishing has been for snook, almost always at night, and almost always around structure. For me, the one lure I wouldn’t head down to the shore without is the bucktail. I’ve actually had more luck with the “NY style” true bucktail than with a “FL style” flare hawk; I surmise this is due to the more buoyant nature of bucktails as opposed to the faster sink of a flare hawk which are always tied with nylon fibers. I’m just more used to fishing bucks.

This is almost all while wading under bridges.

I’m not into the ocean fishing piers. On the ocean side it’s all casting from the beach.

OTOH, listen to the guys here that have been here a LOT longer than I have. From what I’ve heard the MirroLure is THE go-to plug, but I’ve had others tell me that Bombers are good. I haven’t hit anything on any large wood like metal lips.

Hey @Bass2Snookthanks a million for the “newcomer” take on what’s happening down there. I’ll be sure to bring along some bucktails from up here and see if I can have some success with them. In the reading I have been doing so far,  I have also come across the Mirrolure many, many times so I’m thinking I’m gonna have to grab a couple of those two!

With plastics I’ve read many times about root beer color but one of the things I’m unclear on is if people use those DOA shrimp or not and if so what size they use? Have you heard anything about that?

Thanks for your great insights!

5 hours ago, mikeadams said:

Hey @Bass2Snookthanks a million for the “newcomer” take on what’s happening down there. I’ll be sure to bring along some bucktails from up here and see if I can have some success with them. In the reading I have been doing so far,  I have also come across the Mirrolure many, many times so I’m thinking I’m gonna have to grab a couple of those two!

With plastics I’ve read many times about root beer color but one of the things I’m unclear on is if people use those DOA shrimp or not and if so what size they use? Have you heard anything about that?

Thanks for your great insights!

“Great insights” - haha, don’t give me TOO much credit, I still consider myself a FL newbie :howdy:.

Regarding DOA, I’ve actually done well with the TerrorEyz and, believe it or not, the glow color with orange tail has been my best producer. The DOA shrimp? So far not as good for me, just “OK”.

The root beer color is supposed to be good for stained/tannic waters like some parts of the Indian River.

Again, keep in mind this is all east coast “intel” - it might be totally different on the Gulf side.

<p><p></p></p>