PFallon

Amendment 7 Striped Bass Public Hearings Scheduled

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hello Maine and NH striped bass fans...Amendment 7 public meetings are now posted. Most of us don't circle dates on calendars anymore, so do whatever you do to put March 23 (Maine) or March 29 (New Hampshire) on your schedule. Our striped bass fishery needs YOUR voice. This is the big push to the finish line for the framework that will guide striped bass management for the next 10 to 20 years (not however the last time that you need to be involved). Both meetings will be available via webinar (Maine is webinar only , NH is hybrid - in-person or webinar option) so you don't need to travel to participate. You aren't limited to attending your home state's meeting, so if you aren't available, pick one of the other dates that will be held remotely.

I'm sure it will be posted soon. DMR was aware of the date a week ago but they defer to ASMFC and let them post the announcement first once all of the details for each state are finalized.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, PFallon said:

I'm sure it will be posted soon. DMR was aware of the date a week ago but they defer to ASMFC and let them post the announcement first once all of the details for each state are finalized.

Still nothing on DMR, but RFA is tooting their horn about it.  I emailed Megan Ware to get the official skinny on it...

Here's Megan's response:

Yes, Maine’s hearing is on March 23rd. I am working on an email notice but I just haven’t had a chance to get that out yet. But it should be out by the end of the week.

Edited by Roccus7

Will look forward to the hearing and will join in questions once I see the direction or context:rav: 

I may not be able to attend the virtual meeting on the 23 so here's a draft of what I intend to send.  Cutting and pasting killed some formatting things, FYI

Ms. Megan Ware, Director of External Affairs
Maine Department of Marine Resources
via Email

Dear Megan:

Hope all is well.  I’m concerned that my schedule may not allow me to participate in Maine’s March 23, 2022 ASMFC public hearing on the Atlantic Striped Bass Amendment 7 proposal so I decided to write down my comments and provide them directly to you. 

Management Triggers: 

·         Keep as is, no dilution of them, nor extensions of time to react. 

·         Ensure Trigger 3 remains.

Rebuilding the spawning Stock: 

·         Include 4.4 option for the rebuilding plan:  If the 2022 stock assessment indicates that the Amendment 7 measures have less than a 50% probability of rebuilding the stock by 2029 (as calculated using the recruitment assumption specified in Amendment 7) and if the stock assessment indicates at least a 5% reduction in removals is needed to achieve [the fishing mortality level needed to rebuild the stock] the Board may adjust measures to achieve [such reduced level of fishing mortality] via Board action.

·         Stop using the damn 50% probability metric.  It should be something like 75% or greater!!

·         Eliminate any situations that allow for “stalling” rebuilding plans like mandatory public hearings.  Having a write-in Public Comment option is time enough instead of the 6 months a hearing schedule allows.  I think this is an “Option B”.

Reducing Recreational Release Mortality:

·         Unlike all of the other ASMFC states, striped bass is the ONLY inshore recreational fish in Maine, and we’re faced with a short season.  To our “benefit” side, our water temperatures rarely exceed 70°F so we are releasing fish into cool water, a proven benefit to reduce release mortality.  Additionally, is such a proposal even enforceable??  I leave one Conservation Officer involved with reviewing Amendment 7 suggested enforcement would be problematic.

Therefore, I think a two-week closure suggestion is inappropriate as a mandatory measure here in Maine, and other options should be considered:

o   NOBODY should be doing any sort of striped bass fishing on spawning grounds, Catch and Release included.  Extending the Kennebec special regulations to exclude Catch and Release fishing for 2 weeks during the spawn.  During this closure, folks could fish in many close-by adjoining areas.

o   NOBODY should be gaffing striped bass, RECREASTIONAL or COMMERCIAL fishing. 

Management Plan Equivalency: Any Management Plan proposed by a state must ensure that it does not undercut the goals of the entire coast’s management plan, PERIOD!!!!!!

That’s about it.  I know I’ve expressed these thoughts to you on many occasions and I hope I’m not being too much of a pest in doing so.  I’ve been fishing for striped bass for over 55 years and the fish has played a major role in my life.  To say I’m a very interested and concerned participant in this process would be a gross understatement.

As always, if you have any questions or need any clarifications, please feel free to contact me. 

Just found out that you should also directly Email your comments to ASMFC.  They can be emailed to: comments@asmfc.org (subject line: Draft Amendment 7).

Hey Maine, don't forget the Amendment 7 hearing is tonight.  I expect EVERYONE here who cares about striped bass to be on the video feed!

Thanks for sharing the reminder. Like you, I'm hopeful that the Maine angling community will again distinguish itself and turn out and comment. This draft Amendment is a ridiculously long and complex document and as such is a real barrier to public participation. ASMFC's Quick Reference Guide is 19 freaking pages long. The presentation by ASMFC staffer Emilie Franke is excellent but also long and complex. She breaks up the draft into segments and pauses for questions (not the time to offer comments) between sections and posts online polls following these question periods. The final portion of the meeting is devoted to collecting public input.

It is perfectly appropriate to comment at the hearing AND submit written comment. I plan to do both and encourage you to do same. Most effective comments tend to combine some personal sentiment (why this fishery matters so much to you), some broader vision on what you want from the fishery and the ASMFC board, and then specifics on some of the options that are most important to you.

You need to register via the ASMFC link here in order to comment and see slides. If attending via your phone, you'll need to also download the GoToWebinar app.

Hope to hear from you all this evening. Thanks for being a part of the solution. We ARE making progress.

27 mins ago, PFallon said:

Thanks for sharing the reminder. Like you, I'm hopeful that the Maine angling community will again distinguish itself and turn out and comment. This draft Amendment is a ridiculously long and complex document and as such is a real barrier to public participation. ASMFC's Quick Reference Guide is 19 freaking pages long. The presentation by ASMFC staffer Emilie Franke is excellent but also long and complex. She breaks up the draft into segments and pauses for questions (not the time to offer comments) between sections and posts online polls following these question periods. The final portion of the meeting is devoted to collecting public input.

It is perfectly appropriate to comment at the hearing AND submit written comment. I plan to do both and encourage you to do same. Most effective comments tend to combine some personal sentiment (why this fishery matters so much to you), some broader vision on what you want from the fishery and the ASMFC board, and then specifics on some of the options that are most important to you.

You need to register via the ASMFC link here in order to comment and see slides. If attending via your phone, you'll need to also download the GoToWebinar app.

Hope to hear from you all this evening. Thanks for being a part of the solution. We ARE making progress.

Do you have a link to that summary document?  Having a tough time finding it...

65ish folks on the call today, but only 40 voting, that seemed strange.  Real consensus among the voting folks, sending ASMFC a clear message that conservation of bass was the unifying theme by the group.