Honda Pilot on the beach question

Wharf Rat

18 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

So Foilfish you do use 2nd gear with the VTM lock button pushed on? Do you ever just run in drive? Mine is a 2014 FWD not AWD so I’m sure I’ll be fine. I’ve been driving on the beach for a long time just not in this type of vehicle just wanted some first hand input. 
 Thanks 

Both, depending on sand conditions, load in the car, etc.  If it's just me fishing D usually suffices, but when we take family/frinds and all the crap with the trailer hitch carrier I usually go to 2.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 2005 Pilot that I've used a lot on the Outer Banks of NC.  The drivetrain is very easy to use.  I slow down and put in the lowest gear, turn on the VTM-4 and cut off the traction assist and go.  Most of the time I don't have much trouble with it.  The real drawback of this vehicle is ground clearance, so be careful of deep ruts and very soft stuff.

Let me add this- my trusty old Pilot now has almost 225K miles on it, and am beginning to look at retiring it and getting a used pick-up that might be even better on the sand.  Any suggestions for a reliable truck that will work well on the beach and not break the bank?

Really, I would get a Toyota Taco or Thundra. But any Chevy, Ford or Dodge full size would do the job as well. Then you will have a real 4x4 system rear wheel drive beach truck. But the prices are out of site at the stealerships. Used are going for high prices. Sometimes if looking at a 2 or 3 year old truck, it might work out better to look at a new one. Good luck.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:29 PM, johnbull said:

Let me add this- my trusty old Pilot now has almost 225K miles on it, and am beginning to look at retiring it and getting a used pick-up that might be even better on the sand.  Any suggestions for a reliable truck that will work well on the beach and not break the bank?

Good luck.  It is brutal out there for used vehicles right now.  

My 2015 Pilot is approaching 200K miles and has needed some investment lately.  My original plan months back was to trade it for a new/newish sedan for my commute/work then find a used "beach wagon".  I looked high and low and settled on just keeping the Pilot and buying a new car.  It's crazy out there right now.  BTW....the msrp on the 2022 car i just got was the same as 2020/21 models lol.  Even with the dealers "market adjustment fee" it made no sense to buy used.  (In order to qualify for work reimbursement, the vehicle has to be within certain vintage so that factored in as well)