Cheech01

New Plier Hunt

Rate this topic

216 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, poopdeck said:

Any time I drop 300 on pliers it’s VS. all I have to say is what the hell is wrong with people. Just go buy a cheap pair of pliers and be done with it. Before I get stoned and bombarded with, “but their titanium, they last forever, just look at how cool they are, blah blah blah,” I’d like to remind everybody we’re talking about freaking PLIERS.  my cheap ass pliers of unknown origin have lasted me so long I have no idea what they are or where they came from, just how pliers are suppose to be. There is something seriously wrong with society when people lust over 300 dollar pliers. Incredible, but carry on with the foolery. 

Same could be said about the vehicles people drive, the houses they live in and the coffee they drink. 

Not so. Again, PLIERS, we’re talking PLIIIIIIIIIIIERS!!!!!!!  Not cars, not homes, not coffee, PLIIIIIIIIIIIIIERS !!!!!!!!!  

1 hour ago, poopdeck said:

Not so. Again, PLIERS, we’re talking PLIIIIIIIIIIIERS!!!!!!!  Not cars, not homes, not coffee, PLIIIIIIIIIIIIIERS !!!!!!!!!  

$359 is pretty cheap for something I have used for over 20 years :) 

Everyone is on a different financial level. The people that say to look cool or to buy cheap because I do that is your decision. $300 isn't a pee hole in the snow. How would someone look cool carrying VS pliers fishing alone in the dark?

I'm looking for a Decent pair of used vs pliers and next week I'll be off to buy new.

Why, because I can afford to. 

If I save on used I'll just tuck a couple hundreds in a strippers g string. 

Carry on....

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Everyone is on a different financial level. The people that say to look cool or to buy cheap because I do that is your decision. $300 isn't a pee hole in the snow. How would someone look cool carrying VS pliers fishing alone in the dark?

I'm looking for a Decent pair of used vs pliers and next week I'll be off to buy new.

Why, because I can afford to. 

If I save on used I'll just tuck a couple hundreds in a strippers g string

Carry on....

Now there's a waste of money!

2 hours ago, aae0130 said:

I don’t know why you guys need pliers anyhow….to get the hook out of a white perch……:p

When striper fishing I don’t even want to touch the fish. Ideally I lip it with a boga and take out the hook with pliers  without the fish leaving the water. 

I think I fall somewhere in the middle on this whole deal.  Pliers are pliers, but I'll drop $40 on a beefier set with better line cutters and get a few years out of em.  

I have a pair of Manely's which are mainly for offshore in case of a hook accident. They go for $35 now and I would be upset if I lost them, $300 pair I'd quit fishing. I use a t-handle j hook to remove hooks, lift and invert the hooks direction and they fall in the water. Watching fishing videos I see big time fisherman grabbing fish with rags or dragging across the kayak for a photo op. Do people really need a posed fish to enjoy the video, I'm more interested in the rig and technique. I agree with the buy once cry once theory but no for crazy money, same with rods and reels.

20 hours ago, John B said:

For $40 these aluminum Krok pliers look pretty good.

Krok_Pliers.jpg

That’s what I use. 3 years and still going. Little bent but does the job and cutters crapped out but oh well. Still works for mono/fluoro but no more braid

Being able to afford a 359 dollar pair of pliers ain’t the issue. The issue is why? They are PLIERS. Spending $359.00 on PLIERS makes absolutely no financial or fishing sense regardless of what tax bracket your in. $359.00 dollar pliers brings nothing to the table that a $20.00 pair would. It Harkens me back to the day the $600.00 toilet seat was discovered. To each their own though and if a pair of PLIERS bring such joy into the hearts and minds of some I’m happy for them. I will always chuckle at such frivolity though. 

Posted (edited)

High end gear, especially pliers and surf bags, sure do seem to get a lot of people triggered.  Like clockwork, people seem to have such angst, especially when we discuss Van Staal pliers or Flatlander surf bags.  It’s almost comical.

To each their own.  Do whatever makes you happy…  and let’s try not to be so judgemental when others do so.

Edited by Water Dog

Saying to each their own, but don’t really mean it. It’s a joke. If you don’t mean don’t freaking say it.

This applies to every single thing in life.

I have never owned VS pliers, but I do see the value in them if people want to use them. If people want to buy them it’s their choice and nobody else’s.

I have owned all of the mid range pliers Donmars, Browning, Sargents, Danco’s because that’s what I’m willing to spend money on. If you don’t like go piss yourself.

For the people that want to use the HF $1 pliers by all means.