Cheech01

New Plier Hunt

Rate this topic

216 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Are the jaws solid or plastic backed? Tough to tell by the picture. 

Screenshot_20220215-191755_Chrome.jpg

I bought a pair in Florida a few years ago when they first came out. They were nice, but not nice enough to replace the VS pliers. 

3 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I'll look up yours later:laugh:

???   Perhaps there's still something I'm missing. Was that not simply a truncated URL of a well-known website?

3 mins ago, gellfex said:

???   Perhaps there's still something I'm missing. Was that not simply a truncated URL of a well-known website?

No you are correct,  I was saying I'm gonna look up what you said 

twateredge.com ....lol

6 mins ago, ged said:

I bought a pair in Florida a few years ago when they first came out. They were nice, but not nice enough to replace the VS pliers. 

Would you say the jaws are solid.

I'm going next week and I'll check out both these & VS

8 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Would you say the jaws are solid.

I'm going next week and I'll check out both these & VS

They were nice. If I didn’t already own three Van Staal pliers I would have kept them. I have issues. 

I liked my KVDs, but the cutters wouldn't cut braid. The cheap grips fell off and the sheath sucked, so I wrapped them with cord, dipped them in whatever finish I had laying around and teathered them to my surf bag that has a built in holder. I never thought I'd get expensive pliers, but one day I was at the S__twater Edge shop and picked up a pair of the Danco Premios, think they are 7.5". They've been great for the last couple of seasons, cut braid just fine. I usually use them on the boat because the sheath didn't fit on my surf belt. I did get a Tiderunner surf belt at the end of last season so I'll probably start wearing the Dancos on my surf belt too.

My lighter pair (inshore) of Donmar is just about 28 years old, I use them guiding, have never oiled or rinsed in fresh water, and are still going strong. I have a Heavy-duty pair of Donmar for offshore and those are only like 18 years old. Both have quality Zingers on them. If I lost a pair (after I stop swearing) I would buy the same, as, even at that price, they owe me nothing...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have both of the Van staal pliers the larger ones I’ve had for 15 years or so 

i bought the small ones for fly fishing and plane trips where the 7 inch can’t get on the plane 

they look like new 

buy once cry once 

Edited by Joe Paranee

The Hansom pliers are not bad for a mid priced pliers.  Replaceable jaws and cutters.  The cutters handle braid without issue.  I bought them years ago for like $40 or $50.  Price is higher now, but what isnt? 

Any time I drop 300 on pliers it’s VS. all I have to say is what the hell is wrong with people. Just go buy a cheap pair of pliers and be done with it. Before I get stoned and bombarded with, “but their titanium, they last forever, just look at how cool they are, blah blah blah,” I’d like to remind everybody we’re talking about freaking PLIERS.  my cheap ass pliers of unknown origin have lasted me so long I have no idea what they are or where they came from, just how pliers are suppose to be. There is something seriously wrong with society when people lust over 300 dollar pliers. Incredible, but carry on with the foolery. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a coupon and was able to score a pair of the 7” Danco Premio Titanium Offshore pliers for a hair over $150.  Very happy with the purchase, though the coupon certainly made the cost more palatable for me, as I probably wouldn’t have paid full price for them.  For emergency hook removal, I also keep a pair of 6” Sargent pliers with side cutters that I got for $30 on eBay in my surf bag.

Edited by Water Dog

Penn 8" Bullnose Pliers have worked well for me. No issues after 3 years of use and I rarely rinse them. Cutters still cut but you can buy replacements easily from Penn if they wear out. They are pretty stout and a bit heavy but don't bend like the 2-peice pliers do. Can be had for around $40.

PennPliers.JPG