Cheech01

New Plier Hunt

Rate this topic

216 posts in this topic

Fishing pliers should be an unhooking tool FIRST .

Anything else they do, like cut line or open split rings is a secondary feature.

Not many pliers that I’ve encountered do all those things well anyway.

So all I ever really care about, regarding fishing pliers, is that they can grab onto an imbedded hook barb and wiggle it out of a fish or whatever else the barb is stuck in.

For cutting line, nail clippers or inexpensive craft scissors can’t be beat and that’s all I use.

On my inexpensive fishing pliers, I strip off whatever grip they got in the factory and wrap the handles in cord.

The cord wrap gets covered with epoxy and after it’s dry it’ll be the most durable non slip grip you can find.

The best part is that if you ever lose these things, you won’t cry.

You’ll just go back to the hardware store and get another pair for $5 and put epoxy covered cord wraps on the handles like you did on your old pair.

In reality, you’ll never lose them because they are so cheap and durable that you’ll have them for decades.

It’s the expensive pliers which fisherman lose, not the cheap ones.

Additionally, if any rust ever shows up on your cheap pliers, hit them with a wire brush and a squirt of lube and they’ll be good as new.

Cheers !

Can someone explain why the parallel jaw pliers are so popular for fishing, even ones with short jaws? I have several pairs in my shop, and there's things they're great at, and things they're not, like gripping power. I've never thought using my stainless needlenose to unhook a fish that I wished it had parallel jaws!  The real problem is always getting a firm grip on a deep hook. Has anyone ever tried this type?

BBR-TT-260-2.jpg?v-cache=1547024569

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was one of those who said I’d never buy expensive pliers. I would buy the cheapo aluminum pliers you see near the cash register as you checkout of your local tackle shop.

Then, recently I bought my Danco titanium’s, not the new larger model with those crazy cutouts on the handles, I believe mine are the 6.5, the solid ones. Anyways, since buying the Danco’s, I don’t think I’ll have to buy another pair of pliers ever again.

Edited by MattieG

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Can someone explain why the parallel jaw pliers are so popular for fishing, even ones with short jaws? I have several pairs in my shop, and there's things they're great at, and things they're not, like gripping power. I've never thought using my stainless needlenose to unhook a fish that I wished it had parallel jaws!  The real problem is always getting a firm grip on a deep hook. Has anyone ever tried this type?

BBR-TT-260-2.jpg?v-cache=1547024569

I have that pair. Its huge lol. I only bring it when I go bunker chunking and keep in my backpack.

8 mins ago, MattieG said:

I was one of those who said I’d never buy expensive pliers. I would buy the cheapo aluminum pliers you see near the cash register as you checkout of your local tackle shop.

Then, recently I bought my Danco titanium’s, not the new larger model with those crazy cutouts on the handles, I believe mine are the 6.5, the solid ones. Anyways, since buying the Danco’s, I don’t think I’ll have to buy another pair of pliers ever again.

Are the jaws solid or plastic backed? Tough to tell by the picture. 

Screenshot_20220215-191755_Chrome.jpg

4 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I do not believe there’s any plastic in there man. Try and handle them yourself if you can. My buddy has the VS, then he bought these in the offshore model. After handling them I had to buy the 6.5 myself. 

2 mins ago, MattieG said:

I do not believe there’s any plastic in there man. Try and handle them yourself if you can. My buddy has the VS, then he bought these in the offshore model. After handling them I had to buy the 6.5 myself. 

Definitely will:th:

12 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Is that website seriously twateredge?

I'll grow up now ...