Cheech01

New Plier Hunt

Rate this topic

216 posts in this topic

Just now, bassmaster said:

I got the 7.5 the other day for my belt

My vs are still going strong after decades.    Just bought on a whim

Will see how long they will last 

I do wish mine were a little longer (don’t we all). I thought the 7.5 might be too big for a belt and the 7 had that dumb snub nose. Curious what you think of em, so far I’m not that sold

Just now, HarryHood711 said:

I do wish mine were a little longer (don’t we all). I thought the 7.5 might be too big for a belt and the 7 had that dumb snub nose. Curious what you think of em, so far I’m not that sold

I used them 1 night , but not have wrench on them yet,  im going to get the large vs at some point.

Just have not gone to get them yet

Everyone I've talked to about this (and I literally mean everyone) has suggested either going to Home Depot and getting some $10 beater pair, or going all out and picking up a pair of VS ones. There seems to be very few recommendations for mid-tier models. This thread seems to echo those recommendations. 

I have been fishing the large VS’s for years and they are like new only replacing the cutter after a decade or so of hard use and only because I had to cut a large hook i stuck in my arm in the Amazon

I just recently bought the small VS’s for fly fishing they are a sound investment 

I do also carry a set on Manlys jsut in case I need to cut a hook again 

13 hours ago, phishallways said:

Cant call yourself a fisher(person) if you not slinging VS.  And if I catch a treble, please let me be parked by RR B after a treehouse run.

I got your back....

On 8/3/2022 at 1:01 PM, adam42 said:

So really surprised that there's been no talk of gerbers here. I know you guys are focused more on specialty pieces but that thing is very versatile for a whole lot more than pliers and is great.

The Gerber Fisherman model was next level, but long since discontinued. I eBayed up a replacement when my first pair got lost (probably punted it off a bridge on accident), then another at an absurd markup when I thought my replacement set went missing in the move. They turned up, now I have two. They will have to last a lifetime, because they are over $200 these days.

The super needlenose I can take or leave, but the Fiskars scissors and diamond hook file are great to have in one package. I might take one or both apart and swap in the standard needlenose plier someday, the originals were so slim, they were fragile, and excessive warranty returns is what doomed the model in the first place.

Gerber-multi-plier-600-fisherman-large-47572 (1).gif

4 hours ago, bassmaster said:

What size 6 or 8

To me Knipex in 160 or 180 size makes the most sense if carrying out on the water. I have a couple of their tools in 200mm size and they are just big lol. 

My round nose are the 160 and other 2 are 200. 

DAF11832-9933-4DE6-BAE0-60C9C54EC186.jpeg

On 2/15/2022 at 5:57 PM, gellfex said:

explain why the parallel jaw pliers are so popular for fishing

one reason is that they (at least the Manleys) have a groove in the center of the grabbing surface which holds a hook's shank securely. Pretty sure you have some extensive plumbing knowledge, so you  might not approve of this but,,, *smiles*... the parallel jaws will latch onto a nut fairly well. (Better than using channel locks, right?..lol) . 

On 8/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, bassmaster said:

I used them 1 night , but not have wrench on them yet,  im going to get the large vs at some point.

Just have not gone to get them yet

And destroyed,  

Cutters wouldn't cut and broke the cutters.

I have a 12 inch pair of bolt  cutters that I keep in back compartment of my SUV  right next to the first aid kit.. I purchase the cutters in Harbor Freight for about 10 bucks... It will cut 10/0 hooks like butter...

On 4/19/2022 at 4:21 PM, FallenKell said:

This is why I keep a set of 10" Knipex Compact Bolt Cutters in a vacuum sealed bag in the bag I take fishing. Worst case, I can pull out my morakniv with one hand, cut open the sealed bag with that knife, pull out those cutters and cut through any hook with one hand. I will then need to clean the heck out of the Knipex with corrosion-X and give it a little WD-40 before sealing up in another vacuum bag for the next trip.

On 8/3/2022 at 0:31 PM, Surf bomber said:

I’ll second the knipex….

Is this the model you are referring to above?  

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 7.21.46 PM.png