Cheech01

New Plier Hunt

Rate this topic

216 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am in the market for anew set of pliers. I am looking for something that is saltwater friendly non corrosive. I notice the Van Staal and Danco pliers are titanium which are swell, but come with a very hefty price tag. Any other suggestions? They will be used on my kayak mostly. Thanks

19 mins ago, Cheech01 said:

Hello all. I am in the market for anew set of pliers. I am looking for something that is saltwater friendly non corrosive. I notice the Van Staal and Danco pliers are titanium which are swell, but come with a very hefty price tag. Any other suggestions? They will be used on my kayak mostly. Thanks

Whatever you buy be aware of those 2 piece tips they have no strength and get out of alignment easily. 

Well at least the few brrands I bought.

I don't see a GOOD cheap alternative for surf pliers other than just using needle nose pliers.

Hopefully I am wrong and somebody can correct me. 

A pair of long nose pliers with built in cutter for $1.25 in the automotive department of Dollar Tree..  Just keep them oiled and they will last a long time and if the fall overboard it won't hurt your pocket.. I purchases a dozen and give them away to my sons for fishing and anyone who want to borrow my pliers while fishing...

Another vote for needle nose. I love my Knipex long nose needles #2612200. They’re going to completely surface rust in the salt, but mine have stayed as smooth as brand new- just spray em in oil after ever soaking. $35 with the comfort grips. Would def recommend 

7 mins ago, Domf said:

Another vote for needle nose. I love my Knipex long nose needles #2612200. They’re going to completely surface rust in the salt, but mine have stayed as smooth as brand new- just spray em in oil after ever soaking. $35 with the comfort grips. Would def recommend 

They won't cut braid though 

4 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

They won't cut braid though 

That's why I also carry a 99 cent pair of nail clippers on a retractable cable that attaches to my shirt pocket.. 

My strategy has been (a) Sargent pliers bought off fleabay ($20-$30) and (b) for cutting braid, Fiskar kids' scissors bought from Wally world ($1-$2).

Posted (edited) · Report post

I picked up a pair of Manley Teflon coated "Super Pliers".  They are amazing. 

Tried to send you a link to them but I guess you cant post a link to website when someone is asking for recommendations.

I think I got mine off amazon. 

manley-super-pliers-6-inches.jpg

Edited by animalbarrie
commercial link

Whatever pliers you choose, it might be good to have them leashed to your kayak.  Something like this D-ring taped to the handle, or some other creative idea, would work.

lanyard.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t spend big money on pliers anymore. I dont take care of them so they all corrode and get beat up regardless of what I spend. So now….every couple of years I will just pick up a new one that’s under 10 bucks. Most of the tackle shops have aluminum pliers in the price  range right near the checkout register. Beat them up and move on to the next…..It’s mostly the cutter part that wears from braid. To get new cutter blades on a more expensive brand means ordering a part and waiting……too much bother……and in the end it’s cheaper to just replace them with the next cheap ones. When you see them super cheap….like say $5….buy 3 of them……

Edited by aae0130

I love my Harbor Freight stainless 8" pliers, they can really get down a fish's throat, but unfortunately they don't sell them anymore. No cutters, but I cut braid with my HF SS scissors. Out of curiosity I just looked on Ebay, lo and behold they can be had for what HF charged! I grind off the crappy spring and drill a hole for a leash ring near the end of a handle. There's some aluminum fishing piers there for around $20 too. 

620bd9b5139c1_HFpliers.PNG.6872d579e2cfc6bf565c368cf91b710a.PNG

The cuda pliers are just like the VS for a lot less, however, if they are going to be used in a kayak I would just get some cheap needle nose pliers and not have to worry about them falling overboard. 

9 mins ago, drumfish213 said:

The cuda pliers are just like the VS for a lot less, however, if they are going to be used in a kayak I would just get some cheap needle nose pliers and not have to worry about them falling overboard. 

Cannot find cudas for sale