Seamonster98

Recommendations on clear coats

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Doing a bunch of repairs and repaints . 
Combination of word and plastics . 

I've sanded and cleaned all the plugs and using spray cans for the finish . 

besides epoxy what’s everyone’s go to for clear coating ? I have used A variety and have struggled with orange peal 

thanks in advance 

Honestly, hard to beat epoxy, goes on thick, dries clear and hard. Clear spray paint will make a plug shiny, but there's no protection there.

The orange peel may be the result of not letting the paint fully cure, and I do mean fully.

Maybe a few dips in polyurethane might give you a somewhat durable top coat. I don't recommend it because it never proved very durable to me on saltwater plugs. I have had decent luck on small fresh water lures, though.

Since I've been epoxying (both seal and topcoats) I have often fantasized about a faster/easier method. I'll never be set-up for spraying automotive clear coats, but UV dip intrigues me. My epoxied plugs are pretty durable, though. Anytime I'd save applying an inferior topcoat would be lost building new plugs to replace the ones that hook-rashed into waterlogged kindling (IMO)

Oh....I don't know if anyone here uses KBS Diamond Finish. I would love to hear your experiences with it. I've been watching videos for years about people dip'n'drip lures into it. Looks intriguing. 

Check out Systems Three Clear Coat....   follow instructions,  mix thoroughly & have correct temperatures =  great end product.  there is a bit of a learning curve but in my opinion well worth the effort...

The goal for me is a Spray finish that's hard  and durable, yet not brittle. Epoxy and e-tex are great, but the dry time, the spinning, that's all time consuming....... not to mention the  fact that it's vulnerable to every little settling dust particle while taking so long to set up...... I've shot 100's of gallons of laquer and am spoiled on the ' shoot it and hang it'....Trying to find something like that to use on plugs is proving very difficult indeed..... But the journey is where all the fun is !!!

Jim

On 2/15/2022 at 0:42 PM, Livefreeordie said:

Oh....I don't know if anyone here uses KBS Diamond Finish. I would love to hear your experiences with it. I've been watching videos for years about people dip'n'drip lures into it. Looks intriguing. 

I've used KBS diamond to finish a few plugs but mostly for metal jigs. Makes a beautiful crystal clear finish that's hard as a rock. Also very easy, just dip and hang. I believe it can also be sprayed but I wouldn't try for fear of toxic inhalation. My problem with it is that for me it had a relatively short shelf life (a couple months in my case even taking precautions) after opening the can. Also its expensive. So, if you are a low volume maker like myself you wont get much value doing small batches. But, if you can manage it in your work flow, it is easy, clear, and durable. My go to finish over the years has been e-tex with great results, but I've just started experimenting with UV resin and integrated UV lights into my lure spinner setup. Time-wise its a game changer- full cure in about an hour. 

I’m glad this came up because I’ve been experimenting with (and dropping lots of money on) trying to find the best clear coat possible.  I started out using different kinds of countertop epoxies.. always seemed to stay slightly tacky/not be able to pass the fingernail test. Eventually stumbled upon bsi 30 min and that’s what I’ve used ever since. Gives me a beautiful plug every time… seems to magically make the imperfections disappear while simultaneously accentuating the beauty in the paint job. 
The thing about it is 1) it’s a complete and total B to work with 2) pricey and can really only be gotten in small containers, and 3) it’s pretty darn tough but will chip/crack if it takes a hard enough hit. 
It’s been fine for making a plug or two at a time, but it’s just not practical for trying to turn out a whole fleet.  HENCE my quest to find the best. 
I’ve been through 3 other products (that people have raved about being the absolute BEST) .. and the outcomes have been.. well.. shi*.  Lol. 
Here’s my latest experimentation with an epoxy that is marketed specifically by the manufacture for lure coating. It’s said to be “the best”, “superior”, and has rave reviews all over the web touting it as the greatest most durable, flawless finish known to man. 
Well.. here’s the result. You be the judge. 

4B497E4C-5E4A-49A4-8F77-288FFDD2226B.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

They all suck. What your showing is not uncommon for my first coat. 2nd coat usually looks a lot better. I have found epoxy going over itself can remedy most issues making it at least tolerable. You got to Grin and bear it. I have used 3 different ones so far this season. I use one till I’m sick of it then go to the next until that happens. Been doing it like that for well over a decade. Russian roulette of clear coating. Pick your poison. I’m about to go down the basement and see what yesterdays foray looks like and put another on the spinner. This is what day before looked like after 2 coats. Pretty happy for a change. Makes me happier  when I’m done for the year. 

46B97CBF-B1F8-48E9-965C-15E11658DB81.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

I have also found that if your getting that look waiting for it to set up pretty good and then smoothing it over with a rubber gloved  finger, timing is important as to what stage the set up is at, will get it to lay flatter and the next coat will not come out lumpy and wavy as bad as just letting it set up like that. 

32 mins ago, 1amson said:

Truecoat. 

I used that yesterday. Had it for a year or so and didn’t like the rubbery feel to it last year so stopped. Tried it again yesterday weighing it and it came out great. Now to see if I like the hardness after a week. 

3 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

I used that yesterday. Had it for a year or so and didn’t like the rubbery feel to it last year so stopped. Tried it again yesterday weighing it and it came out great. Now to see if I like the hardness after a week. 

I experiment on it with other things prior to this plug, just for that purpose ^. I was finding it did have that rubber-ish feel. Put my samples aside and did the fingernail test on them daily. Took like 4 days after “full set” before they seemed to reach full hardness and pass the fingernail test. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, 1amson said:

I experiment on it with other things prior to this plug, just for that purpose ^. I was finding it did have that rubber-ish feel. Put my samples aside and did the fingernail test on them daily. Took like 4 days after “full set” before they seemed to reach full hardness and pass the fingernail test. 

Well it has a flex agent in so it’s going to be a little bit flexible. The reasoning being it will add durability and flex under a bash against rocks or teeth. You can buy flex agents for epoxies. We will see. I don’t touch any plugs after epoxy for at least 72 hours as they all take days to completely set up. Fingers crossed as it went on like a dream and has constantly got great reviews from the world of plug builders. 

Edited by Steel Pulse