Kayaks???

Rate this topic

hurricane1091

On 2/17/2022 at 9:15 AM, hurricane1091 said:

Oh I read that it is super frustrating for sure but you are right, there were so many reports that it looked - for lack of a better term - 'easier' this past season. What is it like going 3 hours out? Is the boat so big that you can't really feel much of anything and it's just a killing time game? Furthest I've gone is like an hour out on my brother's 21'CC and it was sporty that day, and I may have had one too many the night before. 

From the late 90s until the crash in 08 I was captaining boats for canyon trips.  One boat I ran was a big old battle wagon that cruised at a whopping 18 knots.  Four hour plus rides and overnight trips were the norm.  I really did enjoy watching land disappear and watching the ocean.  Boat was on auto-pilot from the bell to the grounds so its just a matter of keeping vigilant watch and enjoying the show.  The passengers had a big screen television and a VCR and all the ammenities of home if they could stand being in the cabin directly on top of two 8v92 diesels.  Good times.

Its a different world now where guys have boats that can cover more ground in under 2 hours what that big girl did in over four.  Have a friend who has a go-fast fishing boat with four outboards on the back and they are doing things I never dreamed of in a single day and being back at the dock by mid-afternoon.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am picking up a dudes hobie outback tomorrow for a good price. Being down here it just makes sense. We got a lake that has salt and freshwater fish, a lagoon that holds croaker/reds/trout/whiting/flounder, and a lot of back water for sheepshead and trout and reds. I fished with a guy for sheep last week using his kayak and it was nice just to beat the piss out of the thing against the pilings and not feel bad about it.

Edited by hurricane1091

On 4/25/2022 at 11:26 PM, Jeffrey74 said:

I have fished a Kayak once in the bay. I spent more time paddling and attempting not to flip when setting the hook then I did actually fishing. I prefer surf fishing before I ever get back in a kayak.

What happened to this guy? Joined. Posted three times in a day. Then stopped coming since May. 

Cmon Jeff!

On 11/18/2022 at 4:34 PM, EricDice said:

What happened to this guy? Joined. Posted three times in a day. Then stopped coming since May. 

Cmon Jeff!

I was in a pretty bad accident and have not been able to fish. I got an email that you wrote to me in this thread, so I logged back in. Makes me sad I can’t currently fish so I’ve stayed off this site. I’ll get back after it in the spring 

22 hours ago, Jeffrey74 said:

I was in a pretty bad accident and have not been able to fish. I got an email that you wrote to me in this thread, so I logged back in. Makes me sad I can’t currently fish so I’ve stayed off this site. I’ll get back after it in the spring 

Sorry bud hope you get out soon

Took yak out for maiden voyage and got one sheep on live shrimp/bottom sweeper. Had some pin fish type of bites but this was in the back a bit and it's been so cold I sort of think most of the pins are gone, who knows.

Had issues with the rudder popping up, had concerns about how the steering was working. My buddy up in NJ got me straightened out though didn't realize I was supposed to clip the one thing down to keep the rudder in play. I need a fish finder and anchor trolley still but they won't be here til next week cuz lower Alabama.

I liked it alot, wanted to use fiddlers but tackle shop ain't have em. It's gonna take some getting used to so I feel comfortable and focus on fishing and not on kayaking. I'm still into the surf and boat fishing but the yak is just another tool in my arsenal that let's me do some things I couldn't otherwise do,  so I totally get how dudes end up being boaters/kayakers/surf fisherman 

PXL_20221122_003204428.jpg