R.R. Bridge Fisher

ultra light baitcasters

41 posts in this topic

does anybody have any recommendations for an ultralight baitcaster reel?

something similar in size to an abu 2500.

i have 5000 sized reels but might want to play around with something different this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

ultralight baitcaster reel

If you're thinking about bfs there's the Kastking Zephyr or the more refined Shimano Curado 

and the price goes up from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I will check them out.

 

Forget pissyfun and kastking - Curado BFS is a good starting point. SLX BFS is offered in JDM, as are a ton of Daiwa BFS reels. With Daiwa it's easy to swap spools (there are dozens of available spools some decent ones made by OEM companies too). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, buddha162 said:

 

Forget pissyfun and kastking - Curado BFS is a good starting point. SLX BFS is offered in JDM, as are a ton of Daiwa BFS reels. With Daiwa it's easy to swap spools (there are dozens of available spools some decent ones made by OEM companies too). 

What he said.

The Curado is pretty good with 8-10lb braid. Less than that then maybe a diawa air?

I started out with a live bait tip Ugly and it did okay. Bought a cheap JDM Diawa Bass rod and a Mojo bass crankbait rod for most uses. Falcon Ultimate trout isn’t bad either. Pretty darn fun. No experience with the ultralight trout rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Jim McFeeley said:

I have a abu pro max 1600. Sweet little reel 

Looks close to similar size to my calcutta 100 

I might try smaller line on this reel.

Although this reel is married to a Fenwick rod that I just had redone.

This has around 10-12  pound line on it 

So I guess I just talked myself out of it.

I have a 5' rod I'd like to try ultra an  light reel on.

I'll keep looking around at options. 

20210605_073140.jpg

20210605_070433.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity I have to ask. What is the advantage of an ultralight baitcaster over a spinning reel? I can’t really see how it can be better. Am I missing something?:headscratch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

Just out of curiosity I have to ask. What is the advantage of an ultralight baitcaster over a spinning reel? I can’t really see how it can be better. Am I missing something?:headscratch:

 

For lake fishing it's pretty marginal - I guess no line twist is sort of a big deal if you're using straight fluoro/mono over braid. I prefer baitcasting for jerkbaits and when you get into 1/8oz jerkbaits you need a dedicated setup. 

 

Where it really shines is small stream/river trout plugging, sending tiny baits into deep corners and controlling the trajectory with your thumb etc. 

 

You can do it with a spinner but this looks more fun - 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

For lake fishing it's pretty marginal - I guess no line twist is sort of a big deal if you're using straight fluoro/mono over braid. I prefer baitcasting for jerkbaits and when you get into 1/8oz jerkbaits you need a dedicated setup. 

 

Where it really shines is small stream/river trout plugging, sending tiny baits into deep corners and controlling the trajectory with your thumb etc. 

 

You can do it with a spinner but this looks more fun - 

 

 

Cool video! Thanks for sharing. I guess that answers my question. It’s always interesting to see someone doing something different and finding a better way. That’s what I love about fishing, always learning something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.