Poacher punishment Poll

Rate this topic

aae0130

Poacher Punishment  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you or would you not support harsher punishment and higher fines for poachers?

• Yes. Make them suffer.
    • No…..words….words….blah blah blah…..

12 hours ago, redfin said:

Sadly, it’s 2022 and handing out penalties for fishing offenses that would make a difference  to the resource are simply a fantasy.

When enforcement of laws aimed at protecting and managing a shared, limited resource becomes "fantasy" it is time to reject the system that creates those laws and pretends to enforce them and facilitate the otherwise law abiding to become comfortable in proactively protecting the resource. 

1 min ago, 55555s said:

When enforcement of laws aimed at protecting and managing a shared, limited resource becomes "fantasy" it is time to reject the system that creates those laws and pretends to enforce them and facilitate the otherwise law abiding to become comfortable in proactively protecting the resource. 

I agree…

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

28 mins ago, 55555s said:

Fight the power!

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

8 mins ago, 55555s said:

^

No, this is what I meant.  

Don’t disagree but in this current political & economic environment it’s just not going to happen. It’s sucks but it is what it is. 

maybe commercial fisherman dock style justice on the offending party?

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

Just now, Drew C. said:

maybe commercial fisherman dock style justice on the offending party?

I'll confront every poacher I see going forward.  Will others support this?  Will others agree to do the same?  Who are the real stewards, and what if they sit by and do nothing?

7 hours ago, relentless pursuit said:

They are 99.9% foreigners that wiped out all the resources back home,and came here to finish the job.

I'll add that plenty of locals flagrantly flout the rules too. People who certainly know better. I wonder how many 73" BFT were taken this past year in the NY Bight?

Edited by Flukemaster12

24 mins ago, 55555s said:

I'll confront every poacher I see going forward.  Will others support this?  Will others agree to do the same?  Who are the real stewards, and what if they sit by and do nothing?

Nope, too many crazy people out there. Call the proper authorities.  

8 hours ago, 55555s said:

I agree with you. But there's going to be plenty of fights if we confront poachers.. 

8 hours ago, 55555s said:

That is the problem. The "stewards" sit back and complain on social media and everything goes by the wayside. Calling law enforcement often allows them to escape unscaithed. The real stewards know what is involved in confronting poachers and still have the balls to do it. I've found that when you confront someone publically on wrong doing with eyes around, then 99% of the time the right thing is done without serious confrontation and the fish goes back and lives. That fear of getting caught sets in or in some cases they don't know the regulations and easily comply. If you do it when eyes aren't around or confront someone who has no regard, then you better be willing to fight for it. Sitting back and complaining does nothing, so chose your battles.

This may get met with a lot of opposition but maybe if the states charged a fee for salt water registration it would be more lucrative to grow enforcement. If it was a cash cow for the state they would be more concerned with who is out of compliance. Just a thought…..and I offer it because poaching in the salt is a much bigger problem than in the fresh. 

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

I’d say that it’s equal. I’ve fished both, more fresh lately and I see it all the damn time. DEEP even has an office right on the river but I’ve never seen an officer out of their truck. 

13 hours ago, aae0130 said:

It’s a start…….but it should be more like $100 bucks an inch……I would like it to be so harsh a punishment that it leaves them pschycologically scarred. 

It used to be a misdemeanor, with the potential for much higher fines and jail time.  But all the cases were nolled because the state's attorneys didn't want to prosecute them.

So the reduced fine ended up being the better enforcement tool.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams