aae0130

Poacher punishment Poll

Rate this topic

Poacher Punishment   145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you or would you not support harsher punishment and higher fines for poachers?

• Yes. Make them suffer.
    • No…..words….words….blah blah blah…..

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

252 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Some discussion lately about how to handle poachers. Some want them drawn and quartered…..others (why I will never know) want to discuss nuances and fairness. What say you anglers? 

Edited by aae0130

20 mins ago, aae0130 said:

Some discussion lately about how to handle poachers. Some want them drawn and quartered…..others (why I will never know) want to discuss nuances and fairness. What say you anglers? 

Should be the same as a state does for deer poachers??

Yes.  They know they're in the wrong while in the act.  First offense should have a tough penalty.  No slaps on the wrist.  Cuffs!

Living off the land is our God given right. Unfortunately there are greedy people who abuse this privilege and take more than they should. So I agree that government rules are needed.

However... A government can get greedy too and take more than they should from us. So think twice about handing over your rights to a government ESPECIALLY one like ours with a history of STEALING from us. 

BIG fines, loss of car/truck/boat/gear if enforced word will get out! Also any buyers in black market suffer big consequences. 

2 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Mostly yeah, depending on the offense.

I don't think keeping an 27.5" striped bass that was gonna die, anyways, warrants a big fine. Hiding 3 fish in the grass, when only 1 fish is allowed, indicates they knew they were poaching. In such case I think confiscation of gear and loss of license for a year is a good 1st offense punishment.

2nd offense is definitely intentional. Throw the book at 'em and enforce it.

In any case where the poached fish are being sold, I'm all for confiscation of gear, fines, and 5 year loss of license for any fishing/hunting

I understand where you are coming from….but we can’t have special treatment for circumstances. It becomes a big slippery slope. If we are going to have rules and enforcement  for everyone, then there needs to be rules and enforcement for everyone. 

19 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Mostly yeah, depending on the offense.

I don't think keeping an 27.5" striped bass that was gonna die, anyways, warrants a big fine. Hiding 3 fish in the grass, when only 1 fish is allowed, indicates they knew they were poaching. In such case I think confiscation of gear and loss of license for a year is a good 1st offense punishment.

2nd offense is definitely intentional. Throw the book at 'em and enforce it.

In any case where the poached fish are being sold, I'm all for confiscation of gear, fines, and 5 year loss of license for any fishing/hunting

It absolutely should be the same, if not everyone would claim that.

The limits should be enforced, period. Plus, no dead fish goes to waste in the sea.

13 mins ago, aae0130 said:

I understand where you are coming from….but we can’t have special treatment for circumstances. It becomes a big slippery slope. If we are going to have rules and enforcement  for everyone, then there needs to be rules and enforcement for everyone. 

If there were strict enforcement of existing laws, I'd be happier. Poaching is rampant around my area. From what little I've seen, the DEEP gives mostly warnings. While I'm happy to see them, the chats I've had left me wondering why they even bother. People who were obviously and knowingly breaking the laws just get things 'explained' to them....live to poach another day

1 min ago, Drew C. said:

It absolutely should be the same, if not everyone would claim that.

The limits should be enforced, period. Plus, no dead fish goes to waste in the sea.

Sure. But I'm saying that one 27.5" fish should warrant maybe $100 fine while 3 in the grass should be more. But, in any case, I'm not writing a manifesto, here. I am saying in general, I'm all for better enforcement and more severe punishment for repeat and egregious offenders.

I was saying before and I will say it again.

Make it federal offense, like same states on the West (Nevada and Arizona comes to mind).

Nevada has(or used to have) a law that fishing with no license on Lake Mead results going to see Federal judge and up to $2,500.00 in fines for the first offense.

I’m going to disagree. It will get taken advantage of.

Plus, from a resource a dead fish is a dead fish. It doesn’t make a difference if it was crab food or people food. That’s us trying to assign a value where it really can’t be done. 

7 mins ago, Popasilov said:

I was saying before and I will say it again.

Make it federal offense, like same states on the West (Nevada and Arizona comes to mind).

Nevada has(or used to have) a law that fishing with no license on Lake Mead results going to see Federal judge and up to $2,500.00 in fines for the first offense.

That’s because lake Mead and the Hoover dam are owned by the feds.