Livefreeordie

Fish Caught on Custom Wood 2022

Rate this topic

129 posts in this topic

I generally start this thread in Lure Building a few weeks later in the year, and I do so with deference to the HeavyHooksetter, who starts one in the Main. HH was very helpful to me, btw, when I first moved back to the area I live in now, even gave me a few tips about where to fish.

Anyhow, I caught a fish on a jighead today, and was relieved: Now, I've caught a striped bass every month of the year for more than 8 years in a row. With that out of the way, I moved on to testing prototypes and one from every batch I recently completed. The gliders swam well but got no fish attention. My new Finnish Minnows and weight shift mag darter imitations caught a few each, and I finally caught some striped bass on my rattler lures....I just can't believe it was in February (I figured the lure might work in August).

So, If you guys are willing and able, please post pics of caught fish on custom wood in this thread. Please list the builder, too. I love seeing a fish attached to the beautiful lures you guys make. I love catching on my own, and before spring is over, I'll have pics of fish attached to some of the lures I've traded with other forum contributors for, and I'll post them here. We all love seeing pretty lures....but do they catch?

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2564(2).jpg

Nice job on the fish in February.  That's the one month that I have never been able to catch a fish in salt water.  Ice fish don't count!!

What state are you fishing?

A few from last week. Both stripers on the minnow plug. Was actually throwing that for walleye on a lighter rod when they hit it. Caught the walleye while bottom bouncing the jig for stripers. Go figure! Plug is 5 inches. 

jm-minnow.jpg

jm-15lb-minnow.jpg

jm-walleye-buck.jpg

jm-20lb-minnow.jpg

Last few trips have been backwards: I'm catching dinks with jigs and the bigger fish higher in the column with lures. Usually, this time of year, I need to be slow and low for the breeders. Today, after the freak hail storm and thunder that shook the ground and put ripples on the water, I found myself only knee deep with no rain and in daylight, so I figured to snap a photo. IDK what the pic shows, but this 32" was more than 3 miles up a river and had parasites (which many call sea-lice and may indicate this fish was in saltier water within 48hrs). My mini-darter is starting to show hook rash and I may pull it from the rotation until a fresh coat of epoxy can be applied.

IMG_2626.jpg

E03B31DF-2483-4216-AFC4-0B7A8534FA9B.jpeg.b0e19b9e1537d3a740ff4abbf8e25f47.jpeg

I don’t take too many pics of fish anymore. I have to wait for someone to take a pic of me haha. Here’s a decent one on my slim swimmer. Been catching really good on it this year

8 hours ago, eelbasher said:

E03B31DF-2483-4216-AFC4-0B7A8534FA9B.jpeg.b0e19b9e1537d3a740ff4abbf8e25f47.jpeg

I don’t take too many pics of fish anymore. I have to wait for someone to take a pic of me haha. Here’s a decent one on my slim swimmer. Been catching really good on it this year

Nice fish, nice lure, nice job hiding the details.

15 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Nice fish, nice lure, nice job hiding the details.

No one wants to see my mug lol. It’s a heavily crowded spot anyway. I guess I’m not really hiding much