rb

daiwa BGMQ

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi everybody.Today I was in my local tackle shop talking with the owner about reels.I am in the market for a new reel he showed me the daiwa BGMQ 6000..Would like to get any thoughts or opinons on this reel.I was thinking about matching this with my 9 foot carbon surf. thanks bob

Edited by rb

Pretty pointless reel. Spheros SWA has comparable stats, better sealed, internally more durable, parts cheaper, can have it serviced (Daiwa will 100% say you abused it and charge you huge fees to avoid warranty replacement parts), and the spheros is nearly half the cost. Just no point to the BG MQ unless you're a Daiwa fanboy/shill. 

Edited by RedGreen

Hey Rb, the Daiwa BGMQ is a good reel. I would look into the regular daiwa bg series black and gold version.  It's very similar but almost half the price of the mq. You can get them on sale for $100 at times, depending on where you buy them. If you have the 9' carbon surf. I would look at the 4500bg, they run a little bigger that series... it'll match it perfectly without killing the bank. 

I've got a BG-MQ in 2500 size for light inshore work.  IMO a very good reel at a reasonable price ($200).  Ultra smooth, super light and great drag.  That said, I think RG has a valid point.  Spheros SW (cheaper than the BG-MQ at $130)) or Gossa (more $) are probably better suited for the surf.  I think the BG-MQ is more comparable to Shimano's Stradic Ci4+ series--great inshore/boat reels but probably not the best choices for heavy duty surf work. I'd generally agree with RG that Shimano USA's after purchase service is cheaper and less trouble.   

BGMQ 6k was my primary reel for the surf last season.  I really like it.  It's very light and compact and smooth, no complaints whatsoever.  Hooked into a big ray or something from a beach and fought it for like 30 mins before breaking it off--the drag on the reel reformed really smoothly, which I think says something.  Haven't handled the new Spheros yet, but they do look nice and I'd imagine theyre fairly competitive.  I'll just say I'm skeptical of a reel under $200 that claims to be "fully sealed."  

1 hour ago, wefish138 said:

The 6k is a big reel for a 9’

Had one on a 9' St. Croix triumph and actually liked the balance.  That being said some of the newer rods have really skinny blanks and I think it might feel a little big on those.  

2 hours ago, wefish138 said:

tackle shop owner pointed me in that direction.I am open to any suggestions for size an manufacturer

I used this reel in 6k all last season plugging, bucktailing and light chunking on a 9’ rain shadow which is a slightly heavier blank than many these days. Got a bunch of fish up to 40” on it. Was happy with it except for a bail closure early on (I give it deliberate hard open now). That being said, I did recently get a gosa that will probably see more time, but in a 10’. 

Spheros / gosa is better it’s not even close, cast zinc gear vs  cold forged aluminum, way better sealing, way better customer service, can maintain the reel on your own (no need to buy mq tool), list goes on 

I have the 6000 and have mixed opinions. I bought it as an impulse purchase. One pro on this reel is that the reel felt very reliable with a fish in I. The surf. Easily handled a healthy striper this summer. (The fish was sub 26”. As far as casting this reel and overall enjoyment I would say casting it fun and braided line flys off the spool. 

Upon retrieving lures I noticed I didn’t like it for working  lures at a moderate or fast pace as I feel like it possibly is too quick of a retrieve for my likes(totally personal).

another thing is that the line doesn’t always go right to the line roller. ( I took this reel for some bottom fishing from a boat) amd it was cumbersome . Also I believe it’s manual bail so the bail won’t close automatically just by reeling and I can’t say I like it for this particular reel. 

mysbe check out quantum reliant if just starting out, sealed well , affordable, 5 year Rick solid warranty , quantum will fix and return or replace reel for you. Have made good with me in the past in a fairly timely manner . 

Here’s my take on the MQ. I purchased a 6000 last fall. So far the reel has been pretty much flawless. It’s smooth, light, can handle a splash, and it handles hard fighting fish very well.

Comparing the MG to the Spheros/Saragosa? I bought 2 current gen. Spheros 6000 reels around the same time last fall. Have to say, i’m very disappointed in Shimanos quality control with these reels. To keep this short, one spheros got rough after 3 fish. The second spheros, I sold right away because I had the feeling it would turn into the same POS as the first one. There is a reason why Shimano is selling these reels for $135.00. That is because they are not as good as the last generation. I got what I paid for, and i’m glad i’m rid of them. I am slowly getting more and more disenchanted with Shimano. 

I agree with many of the guys above comparing the 2 reels. Yes the Shimano is better sealed  for sure. I never opened the Daiwa up all the way, but I did remove the bottom bumper, and felt that the seal there was kind of cheesy, as per Scoobys review. I do feel the rest of the reel is sealed very well though. I also think the Monocoque body is a superior design compared to Shimano. As for the gears, well, Shimano is using a cold forged compared to a molded Zinc, but what good is that if it doesn’t stay smooth? Price wise, I would say the Daiwa is a little overpriced, but surprisingly a very good performer. 

I admit, I don’t use either of these reels in heavy, snotty surf. I’ll stick with my Torques and VS reels for the days i’m getting soaked.

Edited by Tagman

On 2/13/2022 at 0:48 PM, wefish138 said:

thanks for that,you made think.So i have a shimano spheros 6000 put on that rod and youre right heavy an awkard.I now have a base line to go from thanks again.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:10 AM, RedGreen said:

Pretty pointless reel. Spheros SWA has comparable stats, better sealed, internally more durable, parts cheaper, can have it serviced (Daiwa will 100% say you abused it and charge you huge fees to avoid warranty replacement parts), and the spheros is nearly half the cost. Just no point to the BG MQ unless you're a Daiwa fanboy/shill. 

Interesting.  Can you tell us about your personal experience with the BG MQ's lack of durability, the cost you paid for replacement parts, your tests of it's waterproofness, and your communications with Daiwa when you put in a warranty claim?

You must have had quite a bad experience.  Please share some details.  Thanks.  :wave:

6 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

Interesting.  Can you tell us about your personal experience with the BG MQ's lack of durability, the cost you paid for replacement parts, your tests of it's waterproofness, and your communications with Daiwa when you put in a warranty claim?

You must have had quite a bad experience.  Please share some details.  Thanks.  :wave:

Will share in a separate thread. Its coming.