Vegetable Gardening 2022

Rate this topic

speedwell

On 7/24/2022 at 0:43 PM, PaulS said:

Hi, any idea what I have with these tomatoes?

20220724_123621.jpg

As another mentioned - you have blossom end rot.. which is a lack of calcium in the soil.  Add Gypsum or lime it.  Also, epsom salt(magnesium) helps the calcium work synergistically in the soil uptake.  Sometimes, blossom end rot can be caused from too much watering or too little water... but your serious case - looks like soil deficiencies.  Also, try putting a top layer of natural mulch to prevent your soil from getting too dry if you forgot to water.

Eggshells do work, but primarily are best pulverized for vermicomposting - Worms love to eat it when it's close to dust.

44 mins ago, StealthModes said:

As another mentioned - you have blossom end rot.. which is a lack of calcium in the soil.  Add Gypsum or lime it.  Also, epsom salt(magnesium) helps the calcium work synergistically in the soil uptake.  Sometimes, blossom end rot can be caused from too much watering or too little water... but your serious case - looks like soil deficiencies.  Also, try putting a top layer of natural mulch to prevent your soil from getting too dry if you forgot to water.

Eggshells do work, but primarily are best pulverized for vermicomposting - Worms love to eat it when it's close to dust.

Is this what you and Bob are recommending? Thank you

20220729_161301.jpg

Picked my first tomato this week. Good size better boy. It was very delicious. Ate it raw. It’s one vegetable that store bought can’t emulate. Off season I buy compari which are decent. 

I have three tomato plants. Nice size tomatoes on them. Got to watch out for those chipmunk. 

other veggies doing well. Like one of my favorites green beans. 

18 hours ago, PaulS said:

Is this what you and Bob are recommending? Thank you

20220729_161301.jpg

Paul,

Ive never used straight lime, so I really can't give you an opinion pro or con.

Lime is a good source of calcium. However, I recall someone once telling me lime was somewhat caustic. If applied improperly it can burn leaves and delicate root systems, like those of tomatoes. But again YMMV.

That's what I like about Calmag.  It's a liquid. I can mix it alone with water, or with my regular tomato food, apply and forget.

But regarding blossom end rot, I think no matter what you do, a certain amount is inevitable. I have a small amount of blossom end rot each year. Well under 1%.  But it was nothing like I had before I got serious, and began treating for it.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 7/29/2022 at 2:46 PM, bob_G said:

My first batch of Stupice are beginning to ripen. First year we grew these.  A European heirloom strain, producing 2-3oz fruit. Seems to be very prolific, all the plants are loaded. Sort of like the Campari tomatoes you buy in the market.

IMG_20220729_143323.jpg

Nice! I am waiting on a similar sized tomato variety that I started from seed, but I can't think of name at the moment. They're just about ready to turn and I hope that they are as nice looking as yours. 

37 mins ago, Fishhead7 said:

Nice! I am waiting on a similar sized tomato variety that I started from seed, but I can't think of name at the moment. They're just about ready to turn and I hope that they are as nice looking as yours. 

Thanks.

We had those sliced with dinner tonight. Delicious. We started them from seeds also.

As I mentioned, they're almost identical to the Campari tomatoes you buy in the market in the winter.  We'll do these again next year.

The Sultan of Sluggo