speedwell

Vegetable Gardening 2022

Rate this topic

479 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, z-man said:

I caught one already. It was a super fat vole. Like a hamster. 

They really suck- I wouldn’t have guessed they do that sort of damage.  I’m glad that’s all it is and not groundhogs- they laugh at traps!

38 mins ago, Fitzy said:

They really suck- I wouldn’t have guessed they do that sort of damage.  I’m glad that’s all it is and not groundhogs- they laugh at traps!

Which is why God made .22s

Chucks are pretty easy to trap.  I've caught them in Havaharts using apples as bait.  Make sure the bottom of the trap is covered with grass or dirt.  They will get nervous walking on wire.  Spray the trap with apple juice.

Or just get a Conibear 220.  Easy peasy

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

The big question now is how many voles are out there. I’m sure it isn’t just the one I caught. 

32 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Chucks are pretty easy to trap.  I've caught them in Havaharts using apples as bait.  Make sure the bottom of the trap is covered with grass or dirt.  They will get nervous walking on wire.  Spray the trap with apple juice.

Or just get a Conibear 220.  Easy peasy

I have a .22 pellet gun that drops them in their tracks.  When I get one that visits the garden, I keep it at my desk while I’m working.

The have a heart never worked for me, but I didn’t keep the bottom covered… I’m sure that my problem.  Either way, trap or pellet, it needs to end up dead- I’m not going to relocate a groundhog.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I have a .22 pellet gun that drops them in their tracks.  When I get one that visits the garden, I keep it at my desk while I’m working.

The have a heart never worked for me, but I didn’t keep the bottom covered… I’m sure that my problem.  Either way, trap or pellet, it needs to end up dead- I’m not going to relocate a groundhog.

To be fair, I've relocated more than a few, we have a farm pond across the street.  They do a lousy Mike Nelson (old guys might get it) imitation, but we'll keep trying if necessary

Edited by Jeff270

I had 4 tripped traps this morning but no kills. I think the voles are too fat for the mouse traps to kill but not big enough to trip the rat traps. 

15 hours ago, z-man said:

I had 4 tripped traps this morning but no kills. I think the voles are too fat for the mouse traps to kill but not big enough to trip the rat traps. 

What are you using for bait? I used peanut butter last yr it worked caught 4 or 5 haven't see any evidence so far this yr

6 mins ago, Fishingboston said:

What are you using for bait? I used peanut butter last yr it worked caught 4 or 5 haven't see any evidence so far this yr

I’m using peanut butter too. I had a few more tripped traps but this afternoon but no kills. What type of traps were you using?

11 mins ago, z-man said:

I’m using peanut butter too. I had a few more tripped traps but this afternoon but no kills. What type of traps were you using?

Brand

Victor

Manufacturer Part Number

M140C

The victor traps with red bars.

Thought I’d share a photo of probably the most prolific tomato variety I’ve ever seen-  Barry’s Crazy Cherry from Baker Creek.

Each of our 3 plants already has well over 100 blooms. For an indeterminant variety, I’m very intrigued to see how much more these produce over summer.

6EFDD385-0844-4163-A481-E1868E5176F9.jpeg

CEB8A47C-1DA6-47F0-90F3-696932C015C1.jpeg

On 6/15/2022 at 10:07 PM, Fitzy said:

I've trapped my share of groundhogs using a live trap.They were pretty easy to trap and I didn't cover the wire with anything. I look for their usual path and put the trap there. I put a line of food leading into the trap and in the trap. Used different types of mellon, vegetables. Fresh is better. 

Does the 22 pellet gun kill them? From what range? Do you need a license to buy one? Are they loud to the point that a neighbor would call the cops about gunshots? I may look into that route. But then again I don't want to wound one and have a neighbor call the cops about someone shooting groundhogs. 

By the way relocating live animals is illegal in MA. When I looked into this I believe they said killing a groundhog was perfectly fine but relocating them is not. If you do relocate they say you have to go more than 5 miles or else they may  just come back. 

I’ve shot 3 from about 50-60 feet.  I’m pretty accurate and shoot them in the head with a single shot.  My pellet gun shoots 950 feet/second and it isn’t to loud.  No permit required either.  I walked into Dick’s and grabbed it off the shelf.  I also use 14 gr. hollow point pellets- they seem to do the trick.

if you trap one and need to kill it (since you shouldn’t relocate), then cover the trap with a blanket and run a hose from the car’s exhaust to the blanket.  It’s probably the most humane way to kill them.