speedwell

Vegetable Gardening 2022

Rate this topic

479 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just got the notice that my seed order is on its way and should be in my hands Tues/Thurs next week. Off to get a bale of Pro-Mix tomorrow. Should have my X-UP racks in the windows (two story sun room facing south) and the Tomatoes/ Hot peppers/Onions in their trays and on top of the heat mats by the 20th. YESS!! Another summer of adventures awaits us. Got 600 sq feet of raised beds to populate. Life is not a dress rehearsal. Get stuff done - do it right and do not forget to have fun.

Regards

Puck

Edited by speedwell

7 hours ago, speedwell said:

Just got the notice that my seed order is on its way and should be in my hands Tues/Thurs next week. Off to get a bale of Pro-Mix tomorrow. Should have my X-UP racks in the windows (two story sun room facing south) and the Tomatoes/ Hot peppers/Onions in their trays and on top of the heat mats by the 20th. YESS!! Another summer of adventures awaits us. Got 600 sq feet of raised beds to populate. Life is not a dress rehearsal. Get stuff done - do it right and do not forget to have fun.

Regards

Puck

You ever do ground cherries?  I did them last year and was a lot of fun.

Miss my plot farming......2 much work and not enough time in the summer anymore.........:(

53380636_2493373234009459_1114283549315301376_n.jpg

29351935_2002310369782417_2741132785030076459_o.jpg

11 hours ago, speedwell said:

Regards

Puck

I was hoping someone would start this thread.  Thanks Puck.

If nothing else, the odds of a repeat on the July flood fest are probably low. That 3 week deluge destroyed me last year. 

Veronica (speedwell) one of my favorite flowers. Speedwell was the name of my uncles trawler in my home town - Morecambe UK. About 500 species - many shapes and colors - my favorite is the low spreading blue one. Anyway, re starting - onion seed needs to go in soon - just keep trimming the stalks to 3 inches (haircut) until they get transplanted - I grow them with three seeds to a plug - , hot peppers need to go in as well (they take forever to sprout) and it is a race at the end of the season because I use nearly all my peppers at full ripe - tomatoes mid March at the latest. We are at abt 45 degrees N and 75 W. Tomatoes can be started early they just go out on my south side porch all day and in at night when they are ready to harden off. They need to be in a breeze. It causes the fibers in the stalk to grow and stiffen so they thicken up and aren't limp wussies when they are transplanted. To do that you need enough root space in the plug that they do not just ball up and choke (or transplant to 3 or 4" pots. Pickling cukes, squash and brussel sprouts later. Already have 450 garlic cloves quietly sleeping waiting for spring and the raspberries were all cut back to 2 1/2 ft.

Posted (edited)

If you were actually asking me when to plant it as opposed to having a little fun with my SOL name - all fine:

Veronica is also known as Bird’s-eye and Speedwell. It is a popular hardy perennial that grows upright with multiple spires of intensely blue flowers. Continue reading below for tips on how to grow Veronica from seed.

Latin
Veronica spicata

Difficulty
Easy

Season & Zone
Exposure: Full sun
Zone: Veronica is hardy to Zone 3.

Timing
Sow indoors 8-10 weeks before planting out, or direct sow outdoors in early spring, or in early autumn where winters are mild.

Starting
Sow on the surface of the soil, under bright lights if starting indoors. Transplant in early spring for flowers the first year.

Growing
Water and deadhead regularly, but feed only occasionally. Rich soil results in weak plants. Flowering may be limited in hot weather. Cut back to the ground in the autumn.

Edited by speedwell

Seeds showed up at the PO this AM so I grabbed them and went and got a bale of Pro-Mix HP (which is thawing in my garage right now). By next weekend I hope to have my X-UP towers in the sun room windows with at least the onions and hot peppers in inserts in their 1020 trays on heat mats (use thermostats to control them - YES I am anal about this stuff) - if enough time the tomatoes go in as well. Just got the gang over next weekend for family gathering  - I will be 73 - so I may be busy as I am the cook.

We placed our seed orders last week.  Burpee and Territorial Seeds.

While we grow other stuff,  I'm all about tomatoes. Love growing them.  All our tomatoes are grown in 10 gallon felt pots.

Seeds we ordered were Super Sweet 100, Sun Gold,  Summer Girl hybrid, Fourth of July hybrid,  Celebrity hybrid,  Bodacious hybrid and Stupice.  I'm giving up on heirlooms.

I also bought a bail of Pro Mix hp which I'll add to the tomatoes to lighten the soil and increase aeration and drainage.

We also ordered zucchini and golden zucchini seeds.  

We grow a lot of basil, also in 5 gallon felt pots. We make large batches of pesto which we freeze for use in the winter.

This will be the first year we'll be starting all our tomatoes from seed. Going to start them in the grow tent on a heat pad under a metal halide bulb.

The onions/peppers/tomatoes made it in and are sitting on their heat mats set at 73F. The onions are nearly all up so I installed the grow lights and timers Her Majesty gave me for Christmas. They are "Sunblaster" 24"LED - not cheap but wow are they bright and virtually no heat. Waiting for the Hot Peppers and Tomatoes to show some green next. Taking a break right now - cooked baby shrimp curry for supper - had the whole tribe over yesterday for Pizza on my BDay -73 - and I am the cook. Always good to have my 4 kids etc. show up.I would never wish time away - life is not a dress rehearsal - but I do look forward to my garden. I will post a pic soon.

30 mins ago, speedwell said:

The onions/peppers/tomatoes made it in and are sitting on their heat mats set at 73F. The onions are nearly all up so I installed the grow lights and timers Her Majesty gave me for Christmas. They are "Sunblaster" 24"LED - not cheap but wow are they bright and virtually no heat. Waiting for the Hot Peppers and Tomatoes to show some green next. Taking a break right now - cooked baby shrimp curry for supper - had the whole tribe over yesterday for Pizza on my BDay -73 - and I am the cook. Always good to have my 4 kids etc. show up.I would never wish time away - life is not a dress rehearsal - but I do look forward to my garden. I will post a pic soon.

Happy birthday!

I harvest seeds from previous years... this year i will be doing all my "large tomato" variety's.A giant yellow,a huge heirloom, and big boy.I will start some mother plants next week which i will then take cuttings/clones. I'm excited for a fresh tomato.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:51 AM, robc22 said:

Miss my plot farming......2 much work and not enough time in the summer anymore.........:(

53380636_2493373234009459_1114283549315301376_n.jpg

29351935_2002310369782417_2741132785030076459_o.jpg

We gardened more when we lived in nc. Central mass has too many skunks. We use containers now and stopped growing tomatoes. We were told to spray capsaicin powder in garden but havent tried that yet.