Angler #1

Massachusetts Maritime Acedemy

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

in todays Cape Cod Times  announced it will be building a 16.5 million dollar pier to get ready for a new ship to replace the Kennedy a few years down the road. The ship will be federally funded by the U>S>Maritime Administration one of 5 being built at the Philly Shipyard in Philadelphia. Once that happens we should see a new modern ship transitioning the canal when they go on a cruise. Peace and Prayers

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

in todays Cape Cod Times  announced it will be building a 16.5 million dollar pier to get ready for a new ship to replace the Kennedy a few years down the road. The ship will be federally funded by the U>S>Maritime Administration one of 5 being built at the Philly Shipyard in Philadelphia. Once that happens we should see a new modern ship transitioning the canal when they go on a cruise. Peace and Prayers

will the pier be fishable?

so new bridges and a new pier at MMA. Lots of changes at the canal and surrounding waterways. As if the land and waterway traffic in that area isn't bad enough, two major projects running concurrently will make things very interesting for the area. 

21 mins ago, Italianbuca said:

so new bridges and a new pier at MMA. Lots of changes at the canal and surrounding waterways. As if the land and waterway traffic in that area isn't bad enough, two major projects running concurrently will make things very interesting for the area. 

Unless your 20 yrs. old I don't think you will live long enough to see the bridges built................

One of the high points of this past summer was watching the Kennedy being docked.................

Just now, b-ware said:

Unless your 20 yrs. old I don't think you will live long enough to see the bridges built................

close mid-30's 

yes I am aware that the bridges will be a project that will be a 50-100 year project (design to completion), but having a home in the immediate area and fishing the area, it will be a major change and impactful. 

the MMA project will surely be a faster moving and will have more of an immediate impact, and obviously more consolidated to the West End, but construction practices will have an impact to the waterways at that end.

also being in construction, I am all for construction, renovation, improvements, infrastructure, as long as they are managed properly and efficiently (obviously the government struggles at this haha). Watching these project progress over time will be interesting, and I am curious as to how the waterways themselves are impacted. 

37 mins ago, Italianbuca said:

Watching these project progress over time will be interesting, and I am curious as to how the waterways themselves are impacted. 

the MMA ship will most likely be bigger, therefore needing a bigger dock space. I would assume a massive dredging project will have to take place to widen the area where the new (bigger) ship will be berthed. The only real damage will be to the productive shellfish flats just to the south of the school, however i would assume a massive amount of silt will be floating with the tide at all times. 

Good news for the school. They have always been on the cutting edge of the shipping industry. They were one of the firsts to have a state of the art virtual ship navigator if I remember correctly. 

6 mins ago, bradW said:

the MMA ship will most likely be bigger, therefore needing a bigger dock space. I would assume a massive dredging project will have to take place to widen the area where the new (bigger) ship will be berthed. The only real damage will be to the productive shellfish flats just to the south of the school, however i would assume a massive amount of silt will be floating with the tide at all times. 

Good news for the school. They have always been on the cutting edge of the shipping industry. They were one of the firsts to have a state of the art virtual ship navigator if I remember correctly. 

my thoughts exactly.

It's definitely a great thing for the school, and I have a lot of family that have gone through MMA and are currently enrolled at MMA, a fantastic program there. 

In terms of the pier construction, which again I am all for construction and improvements, but in addition to the items you listed you have to look at the construction access to MMA from the land side, as well as the access on the waterway side. MMA is situated right on the edge of the Canal which of course is a major waterway. Also to the North is a major bay area that is also a relatively busy area with Taylor Point Marina and all of the residences/docks/moorings throughout there. That bay is also a tricky route as well, especially at low tide, with a narrow channel and shallow depth, so if in fact dredging is required at the dock area, a concern would exist with that channel with debris/shifting materials in that vicinity. 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:29 AM, Richard_the_Aughth said:

will the pier be fishable?

back in the day but you'll never see that again.....

On 2/9/2022 at 8:18 AM, Angler #1 said:

I'd be curious to know what they will name her.  I'm not sure it's a given that she will bear Kennedy's name.   

24 mins ago, b-ware said:

Any stats on this new ship, might be to big to use the canal.....................

That's what I was wondering?

I wonder how old it is? The Kennedy was no spring chicken.

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

That's what I was wondering?

I wonder how old it is? The Kennedy was no spring chicken.

vvvvvvvv 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:18 AM, Angler #1 said:

in todays Cape Cod Times  announced will be building a 16.5it million dollar pier to get ready for a new ship to replace the Kennedy a few years down the road. The ship will be federally funded by the U>S>Maritime Administration one of 5 being built at the Philly Shipyard in Philadelphia. 

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

I'd be curious to know what they will name her.  I'm not sure it's a given that she will bear Kennedy's name.   

USS WILSON thats the new name