Days gone bye?

Rate this topic

LowEnd

On 2/9/2022 at 11:47 AM, XBMX said:

The amount of sand pushed in by Hurricane Sandy killed my area.

Another spot on the north shore of Long Island that I haven’t fished in a long time (so maybe it’s good again) totally changed after sandy.  It looked like a totally different place and the fish weren’t there anymore. 

On 2/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, afterhours said:

Daily fall bluefish blitzes that went on for what seemed like forever at Barrington Beach, RI. As well as the heavy fall runs on the SOCO beaches up until around December - where you'd catch monster blues on one cast and very nice stripers on the next. 

Remember those mornings Don, to the left bass and straight ahead big blues. I used to get away from the line and walk about a half mile up the beach where the rocks were huge and the bass were huge too.:howdy:

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

On 2/8/2022 at 9:23 PM, Surf Caster said:

the daytime blitzes few and far between... 

I don't remember when was the  last time I've seen blitz from the beach.

At least 2 or 3 years.

Maybe more

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

The bass didn't leave. There are just not enough left to push the population into all those spots. 6 or 7 years ago, maybe less, I could count on the bass pushing the mullet down the beach in their early migration. This was in early October. Now the mullet come through without any pressure except for the Asian community of cast netters on the beach. Not blaming them mind you. The bass aren't there. We see them later in the fall and they are gone earlier most years. The spring time is even shorter. While Sandy changed some spots it created others. That's how MN works. The bait and predators are moving on moons, tides and water temps in the fall. Not beach structure to ant great degree.

On 2/8/2022 at 6:43 PM, LowEnd said:

Just reminiscing about a spot that was unique and very special for stripers.
Unfortunately it has been destroyed and the bass are no longer are there. Poaching, and lack of  new fish has killed this place for me. More than likely never to return.

Many of you have been at this game a lot longer than I. Not looking for specific spots but wondering how many of you have experienced something similar from days gone bye. In my case it was a place that produced fish all year, now gone.
Sad to say, but would like to hear some stories of your experience from  past and maybe hopes for the future.

Please don’t consider this doom and gloom. I still catch a bunch of bass, just have to do it else where. Every time I think about this place I consider myself lucky to have been there when things were good and it puts a smile on my face. It went on for years. Longing for days gone bye right now.

I

I can sure relate.  I had a local spot that used to produce some good action with some nice fish when there were more bass around.  Unfortunately, low recruitment and constant hammering of these fish have resulted in me going there 0 times last year.  Each year it had gotten progressively worse where it is no longer worth my time or effort.  Even worse, I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel.  The past few years the YOY index has been abysmal.  Those that fish much more west of me will continue to fare better since the Hudson River stock is in much better shape.  I've see this coming years ago but unfortunately my complaints and letters fell on deaf ears.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:45 AM, jps1010 said:

I can sure relate.  I had a local spot that used to produce some good action with some nice fish when there were more bass around.  Unfortunately, low recruitment and constant hammering of these fish have resulted in me going there 0 times last year.  Each year it had gotten progressively worse where it is no longer worth my time or effort.  Even worse, I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel.  The past few years the YOY index has been abysmal.  Those that fish much more west of me will continue to fare better since the Hudson River stock is in much better shape.  I've see this coming years ago but unfortunately my complaints and letters fell on deaf ears.

Sad,

The place I went to was great for better part of a decade+. Even after Sandy the bass were still there. Had many a great outings there especially around Christmas time with fish to 39”. January and February produced if it didn’t freeze over and early March was lights out. Most fish slots or better. Even summertime produced some great top water bites.

Last two years have been dismal and the last descent bass I caught there was February of 2020.

F6E63C16-B6A6-420D-9A44-2E3D989C25FC.jpeg

Everything.

Used to start in January and February with giant walleyes in the local river.  They are gone.  Fished down and pressured.  Then it was stripers and walleyes in the same spot.  The stripers don't really make it up that far anymore because their numbers are down. 

Late March into late April used to be cow central in the river.  Nothing like catching a 40 pounder in March on a BigO.  Not so much anymore.  Again, numbers are down. 

Then May rolls in- man oh man, there used to be so many options.  Too much to fish for.  Giant weakfish north and south.  Big gator blues that were all head from the long migration ready to put the feed bag on.  Big bass out front.  All of this is history.  All of it.  

June was epic.  Everything used to come together and it was so crazy that I used to take a breather in July.  August was spent doing other things and then September started it all over.  By December I would have 500 weakfish, 500 or more blues and close to 1000, if not more bass.  I had 13,000 bass in 10 years.  Nowadays you're lucky if you have 1/20th of those numbers.

DaveC <0))))))))))))><

Down in North Carolina, the big bluefish blitzes were legendary years ago.  Big ones 10 lb minimum chasing speckled and grey trout onto the beach, fish so thick they were stacked up like cordwood.  Depending on who you ask, it's been twenty or twenty-five years since something like that.  The Outer Banks have so many more people now, and so many more with a rod in the water.  At least there are still great runs of big red drum.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, afterhours said:

Daily fall bluefish blitzes that went on for what seemed like forever at Barrington Beach, RI. As well as the heavy fall runs on the SOCO beaches up until around December - where you'd catch monster blues on one cast and very nice stripers on the next. 

Don’t forget the daily blitzes of gator blues all summer and fall pretty much every weekend at conimicut point. The crowd was insane but it was a sight to behold. Complete insanity early 2000s

On 2/12/2022 at 11:45 AM, jps1010 said:

Same here in my area. Fishing from shore was so good in a some of my springtime spots that I barely used my boat till mid to late June. Last good season surfcasting in the spring for me was 2018. Lots of solid  20lb plus class fish topwater by day  and on swimmers at night. Since then I've hit these spots on a regular basis every year. Lucky if I catch a few lower slots a season now. So not going to give it much effort in the future. Maybe a few trips a year for old times sake. Pretty much other than real early season I'm boat only now. I've always prefered surfcasting.  But at least I can still can find stripers on the on the boat nowadays. And as a bonus I can catch dinner (tog and sea bass) if stripers aren't cooperating after early morning bite slows. Sadly my surfcasting days seem to be pretty much over at this point. Too much effort for too little reward. 

15 mins ago, Chris76 said:

Same here in my area. Fishing from shore was so good in a some of my springtime spots that I barely used my boat till mid to late June. Last good season surfcasting in the spring for me was 2018. Lots of solid  20lb plus class fish topwater by day  and on swimmers at night. Since then I've hit these spots on a regular basis every year. Lucky if I catch a few lower slots a season now. So not going to give it much effort in the future. Maybe a few trips a year for old times sake. Pretty much other than real early season I'm boat only now. I've always prefered surfcasting.  But at least I can still can find stripers on the on the boat nowadays. And as a bonus I can catch dinner (tog and sea bass) if stripers aren't cooperating after early morning bite slows. Sadly my surfcasting days seem to be pretty much over at this point. Too much effort for too little reward. 

You gotta believe!!! Everyone whose doom and gloom just needs to BELIEVE!! They’re there. Plenty of quality fish to be caught. Not catching? Move around. Once you find them, they’ll be there and once they’re gone, keep searching. I got two spots that has never failed for as long as I remember and this year was no exception.