Fergal

Sunglasses - Flats, lens color/type

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

The problem is that there is no one lens that is best for all conditions and when you toss in the need for prescription lenses it can get grossly expensive.

I have three pair of quality sunglasses right now. 

Green mirror,amber, and Sunrise yellow and I use them all. If I had to narrow it down to a single pair only then I would go with amber.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, numbskull said:

I got fed up earlier this winter when quoted prices from $650-750 for another pair of Costas.  Instead I got my optometrist to order me a pair of 30% light transmission polarized brown lens ($200) and put them in an old frame I had. The Costas transmit about 15% light I think.  Turns out they worked so well on the flats in both low and full light that the Green Mirror Costas saw no use and are now back up glasses.

Agree, and will also add an irreverent post about this sunglasses topic:  I went to our local Wal Mart.

I made an appointment and had a complete eye exam-- as complete as any that I have had in my myopic lifetime dealing with ophthalmologists.  I picked out some big aviator frames for some every day glasses.  For my flats upgrade, I asked Wal-Mart if they would please use my Ocean Waves, bandana, tie-on frame that has been on the water with me for decades. Ocean Waves does not make this versatile frame anymore, probably because it looks not cool, basically ugly.

Walmart is merely the front for a Lab, which basically does all the important work... just like any other optometry shop or ophthalmology office.  I ordered a polarized, mirrored, and progressive lens for the Aviators.  Polarized, mirrored, single vision Rx for my refurbished tie-on flats glasses..  Walmart did a great job.  

One post in this Thread said that color is not a real big deal; my experience is similar.  Certainly polarization and light transmission is important, and maybe mirroring for additional eye protection.  But another poster said that mirroring may scare bonefish on the flats; so, now I am spooked.  I will use that as an excuse why I sucked so badly on our trip last December. 

When I fish with friends who are wearing mirrored glasses I haven't noticed any flash or glare off them. I assume the fish can't see this either? I've seen flash off rods but not glasses.

Bumping this up - My appt is Wednesday. I'm not sure what's going to happen with my prescription, so that might have an effect of what my options are. The place is a Costa dealer, I think Maui Jim as well (my current pair). If contacts are an option, I might try that and obviously I won't need scripts. I don't know if contacts will be an option for me tho. I have budgeted for two pairs of sunglass. A green mirror of some sort will be one, and maybe a bronze or amber type for the other.

Thanks again for all the replies.

I switched to Maui Jims --best glasses I have ever worn.  No problems with Costa --but Maui Jims are brighter --brown lens 

I was a Smith person for years.  No more lousy customer service and the cromapop lens the coating peeled off in a few months 

6 mins ago, bhorsley said:

I switched to Maui Jims --best glasses I have ever worn.  No problems with Costa --but Maui Jims are brighter --brown lens 

I was a Smith person for years.  No more lousy customer service and the cromapop lens the coating peeled off in a few months 

My Maui's held up well for me. The frame did break a while ago, not sure how but they had daily use in the car, in general and fishing for 5+ years before it happened. I can't complain about that. 

Ultimately, I want to be able to get the lens color that I want in whatever my script will be. I'm guessing that I will need some sort of progressive lens but when it comes to sunglasses I don't know if they'll be necessary for me. I can still see and tie 6x tippet, not well but I can do it. I really just need distance for those.

I recently saw an ad for Bajio sunglasses. According to their website they make a bifocal for fishermen where the bifocal area is smaller than ordinary bifocals - there's enough area to see to tie knots, etc, but by making the magnifying area smaller they have a larger main lens area. Is anyone familiar with this brand?

Last two pairs have been Smith Chromopop. I tend to fish first light through sun up, mid AM so I tend to go with Amber. 

Posted (edited)

Green mirror progressive costas on order, tuna alley frame. My place said their service hasn’t been as good since the luxotica takeover. If I like the progressives I’m most likely getting a second pair, sunrise silver costas or lava Maui Jim. MJ couldn’t do their green mirror in progressives. 

They were big on Maui’s. It would have  taken about a  week for those. No idea how long on the costas. I will look at their other lenses. 

Fwiw, my new glasses come with a magnetic clip on gray polarized lens. So that will save my ‘fishing’ glasses a bit. 

Edited by Drew C.

Posted (edited)

I'd slightly favor a gray over amber if I had to pick one. I think. I guess it depends on which gray vs which amber.

Nikon made some fabulous sunglasses in the 80s-90s. Bought one pair new, have about 5 now purchased off the bay. Ocasionally some unused old stock shows up.

Edited by PatchyFog

The green mirror costas arrived today, it took almost 3 weeks. I ordered a pair of Maui lava. They sb here Monday. My old Maui HTs are still good too. 

So far I’m struggling a bit with the progressives. I put my old ones back on the other day and like that better. Maybe I just need some more time with them. 

Posted (edited)

Have been using Smith's for years. Polarized brown/amber on flats, beach, and general sight fishing. Polarized green/gray on the boat. If I had to switch lens colors, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Smith does stand by their warranty, which I only had to use once on an older pair that I drenched with bug repellent. Replacement made immediately with no questions asked. Haven't had any problems with the ChromaPop, in fact, I like it. Very clear carbon lenses, which I favor over glass due to being lighter in weight. Don't even know I'm wearing them.

Edited by South Shore Fly

Big fan of the Oakley Holbrooks with the Deep Water Polarized Prizm lenses.  I use them for all types of fishing, best I've ever owned.  They do make lenses geared towards shallow water, but I still prefer the deep water lenses.  They double as my Sporting Clays glasses as well, the clays really show up bright orange with them.

The Lava Maui Jims came today. For general use, I like them the most so far. Also, the progressives aren't very noticeable as well. I'm still not liking the Costa progressives that much. Back to the MJs, they seem to be nice and bright. Hopefully they will work well on the flats.