Bravo

Double and triple wraps for big game rods

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi - I'm building my first big game rod (7'6 UC Viper 80-130#) and am looking for input on wrapping guides (I've built many surf rods). I have always heard that these rods should be "triple-wrapped" which I took to mean one under wrap (A thread) and then 2 layers of overwrap - and assumed that this meant one layer of D wrap (sealed) followed by a second layer of E wrap, and then epoxy.

When checking previous posts and video sources, I saw double wraps to mean doubling over of D thread (one continuous wrap back and forth over the guide foot), or also a 2nd full wrap of D thread over a lightly epoxied or sealed first wrap. My concern with the continuous method is that applying D back over D is that it ends up uneven and bumpy, and unlikely to lay down evenly as a clean wrap, since you are wrapping over with the same diameter thread. I also wonder if I would have the same problem with laying D over a sealed layer of D.

I would think that the strongest result would be one very clean wrap over another - So my initial thought is to lay E over sealed D thread. Any feedback on why this could be a problem or advice on what works best from those that have done this before?

Should I also consider reversing the line lay to try and crisscross the thread across each other? (first finished wrap towards the guide frame and tied off - and then start the 2nd wrap from the frame towards the foot end?) Any feedback is appreciated - Thanks!

A few things- 

I recommend underwrapping any guides on heavy saltwater rods especially one rated 80-130. There is some debate over whether its necessary but lets just say it helps me sleep better.  When wrapping heavy ring guides or rollers i typically wrap up the foot and back down- 2 "layers" on the foot.   The size of the thread is irrelevant.  A under, A over, B, D, E blah blah blah...  stick to the same size thread and color and youll be fine.   Use darker nylon if your concerned with uneven wraps. Once the finish hits it youll never see it.  If you plan on using lite color ncp, youll need to be neat as youll be able to see any imperfections.  Dont over think it... ive built hundreds of offshore rods with size A and never had a problem.   

On 2/7/2022 at 2:20 PM, tbush said:

Don't over think it... ive built hundreds of offshore rods with size A and never had a problem.   

I also only wrap with size A for offshore rods. Just apply two thin coats of CP and one thin coat of finish to both the under wrap and the first over wrap. For the final over wrap apply two coats of CP and 2-3 thin coats of finish.

I built a set of Calstar RT80s with Aftco bigfoot rollers last winter and may have gone overboard went with an underwrap (forget if A or D), epoxy, and then 3 over wraps, epoxy after each wrap and then 2-3 coats of epoxy over the last layer until it looked good.

I'll toss in something I learned and it's probably not relevant with a higher end rod dryer, but my cheapo mudhole rod dryers it had a hard time spinning the blank with the heavy roller guides, so I electrical taped a couple 2-4oz egg sinkers on the backside of the blank to offset the weight of the guides, so it would spin nice and even.