Century Demon 9ft Spinning ISS1083SWS

Rate this topic

PJL91

Hey guys, first post on the forum, coming from Southern California. I was hoping someone here owns the rod and has experience with it, specifically with the lure range, which is stated as 1/16-1.75oz. Is this lure range accurate? Ill be using this on the surf/rocks for perch, halibut, striper if im lucky, and everything else socal has to offer. Will mainly be using lucky craft 110, 1/2-(1 1/4) ounce C rig, drop shot, and texas rig, but would like the option to add more weight if the conditions call for it. I was also looking at the SS1025 as an option as people here seem to like it for the light stuff. They are expensive options and right now I dont have access to a shop that carries them to check them out. Let me know what you all think, thank you for your time. 

Edited by PJL91

On 2/4/2022 at 4:33 PM, PJL91 said:

Hey guys, first post on the forum, coming from Southern California. I was hoping someone here owns the rod and has experience with it, specifically with the lure range, which is stated as 1/16-1.75oz. Is this lure range accurate? Ill be using this on the surf/rocks for perch, halibut, striper if im lucky, and everything else socal has to offer. Will mainly be using lucky craft 110, 1/2-(1 1/4) ounce C rig, drop shot, and texas rig, but would like the option to add more weight if the conditions call for it. I was also looking at the SS1025 as an option as people here seem to like it for the light stuff. They are expensive options and right now I dont have access to a shop that carries them to check them out. Let me know what you all think, thank you for your time. 

The Demon will throw 1/4-2oz.  It's extremely lite and crazy sensitive.  It's a great open beach rod. If you will be using it somewhat regularly on the rocks I would steer you in the direction of the new 8'6" Weapon Jr, rated 3/8-2.5oz.  It has textreme finish which gives it great exterior durability.  You don't have to worry about dropping it on the rocks.

Both blanks are run with graphene.

Hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions.  I help design the Century blanks for the US market.

11 mins ago, AFMike said:

The Demon will throw 1/4-2oz.  It's extremely lite and crazy sensitive.  It's a great open beach rod. If you will be using it somewhat regularly on the rocks I would steer you in the direction of the new 8'6" Weapon Jr, rated 3/8-2.5oz.  It has textreme finish which gives it great exterior durability.  You don't have to worry about dropping it on the rocks.

Hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions.  I help design the Century blanks for the US market.

Is the ISS1083SWS a 50/50 split?  Also, are the bare blanks available for purchase?

56 mins ago, AFMike said:

Hey Mike?  This is looking really nice .......

6 hours ago, AFMike said:

How well does the 7’6” Demon throw the lower end of its range? What’s the sweet spot and how low can it efficiently go? I’ve been keeping my eye on it for over a year now.. 

2 mins ago, Tyger92 said:

How well does the 7’6” Demon throw the lower end of its range? What’s the sweet spot and how low can it efficiently go? I’ve been keeping my eye on it for over a year now.. 

There are 2 versions of the 7'6" Demon,  one rated to 3/4 and the other to 1oz.

Both throw their entire range very well.

Where are you located?

39 mins ago, AFMike said:

There are 2 versions of the 7'6" Demon,  one rated to 3/4 and the other to 1oz.

Both throw their entire range very well.

Where are you located?

I’m in Delaware - the land of smaller fish. I was looking at the one rated to 1oz.. the one rated to 3/4 slipped my mind. The upper end isn’t as important to me since I already have plenty of rods that’ll handle 1/2 and up. If it handles 1/8-1/2 I’m pretty much sold on it, being able to throw 3/4+ is a nice bonus and makes it a perfect do it all rod for the flounder/schoolies/trout/blues I get stuck with all summer. 

37 mins ago, Tyger92 said:

I’m in Delaware - the land of smaller fish. I was looking at the one rated to 1oz.. the one rated to 3/4 slipped my mind. The upper end isn’t as important to me since I already have plenty of rods that’ll handle 1/2 and up. If it handles 1/8-1/2 I’m pretty much sold on it, being able to throw 3/4+ is a nice bonus and makes it a perfect do it all rod for the flounder/schoolies/trout/blues I get stuck with all summer. 

It will definitely do what you're looking for.  Are you looking for a blank or built rod 

10 hours ago, AFMike said:

Hey Mike, thank you very much for the information. Very cool that you help design these rods and are able to answer our questions. The demon sounds like it would suit my application perfectly but I may prefer the extra security of the textreme finish on the weapon jr if it can do most of what the demon can. I do a good amount of fishing off the rocks, well, by so cal standards. How is the tip on that weapon jr? Is it light and whippy enough to send out 1/2 oz? Would be great to see some casting video demos but I understand it's a tall order. 

Edited by PJL91

6 hours ago, PJL91 said:

Hey Mike, thank you very much for the information. Very cool that you help design these rods and are able to answer our questions. The demon sounds like it would suit my application perfectly but I may prefer the extra security of the textreme finish on the weapon jr if it can do most of what the demon can. I do a good amount of fishing off the rocks, well, by so cal standards. How is the tip on that weapon jr? Is it light and whippy enough to send out 1/2 oz? Would be great to see some casting video demos but I understand it's a tall order. 

Absolutely,  it throws 1/2oz great. I've thrown down to 1/4oz jig head and a pc of rubber. It wasn't great but not bad.

I'll see if I can get a video together showing casting different weights. 

15 hours ago, AFMike said:

Absolutely,  it throws 1/2oz great. I've thrown down to 1/4oz jig head and a pc of rubber. It wasn't great but not bad.

I'll see if I can get a video together showing casting different weights. 

I would greatly appreciate that if you get around to it Mike, i'm sure some other folks would appreciate it as well. 1/2oz is probably as low as ill go for this rod, so this sounds great. You said it was coming out this friday? Hope the msrp is more palatable than the demon's ha..