I don't understand the Canal

Rate this topic

codfish

• 2 weeks later...

We also forget that the canal is 14 continuous miles of fishable shore with not only easy but legal parking. The most important thing is there are 4 lanes @75 mph coming from two directions that end at the canal.  I can be fishing at the canal in an hour, hour 15 or I can be fishing Plum island or Cranes Beach in the exact same amount of time, which are half the distance. For me finding a new spot is not so much about the structure or will it produce, but about parking where I won't get towed (which is different from legal) and being able to access the water through similarly expedient methods, no question of either of those at the canal plus all the other things that make it special.

Finding parking along CT coast has been my biggest hurdle the past 2 years.  Add into that my wife is handicapped & uses a walker at times.  Really hard sometimes.  

Soo many trips we've driven 1hr to the coast to turn around and head back. 

I'll gladly drive 2hrs to a guaranteed parking spot. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

Drifting plugs out of the breachways used to be one of my favorite things to do….now you can’t even fish the harder to get to sides. 

Last year I saw the largest rotation in RI history. Like a line waiting for Target to open on Black Friday. Legit counted 15 people waiting to cast

Obviously I fished elsewhere

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

4 hours ago, rst3 said:

Last year I saw the largest rotation in RI history. Like a line waiting for Target to open on Black Friday. Legit counted 15 people waiting to cast

used to be able to go early morning non new moon and it’d be ok. Not anymore. Even the soft sides. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

2 hours ago, rst3 said:

My 15 year old son get into a 15 man rotation last Fall on C-town. It was a good 10 minutes between casts. He really enjoyed it because the older guys treated him decent and joked around with him and complimented him, as well as helping him land his fish. I sat back and watched. I just can't take the waiting in line.

Sadly after a good hour of hot fishing a few D-bags came out and joined the circus. They didn't get the camaraderie aspect and couldn't play nice. They cursed guys for going too slow and tried to rush them. Eventually they started crowding my kid and casting before he had made his full retrieve. That ended up meaning they crossed him when he hooked up. It had the potential to get real ugly because I get a little pugnacious when my kids are involved. Luckily the kid had caught a bunch and was ready to quit.

Edited by mikez2

3 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

used to be able to go early morning mom new moon and it be ok. Not anymore. Even the soft sides. 

It blows.

I really like fishing current, outflows canal whatever. But there's been so many changes over the past decade it just gets harder each year to luck out with a tide that isn't mobbed. And a few guys out there is pretty fun. Shoot the chit. Pick up a new tip or report or something. All good.

It's just the heavy crowds and standing around waiting to fish I can't do. 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

11 mins ago, rst3 said:

It blows.

I really like fishing current, outflows canal whatever. But there's been so many changes over the past decade it just gets harder each year to luck out with a tide that isn't mobbed. And a few guys out there is pretty fun. Shoot the chit. Pick up a new tip or report or something. All good.

It's just the heavy crowds and standing around waiting to fish I can't do. 

There were nights where I would have my fill and just land the old timers fish for them while shooting the chit.  It was to the point where I could count down to the hit. Hence the problem, I guess. Lol.