I don't understand the Canal

Rate this topic

codfish

53 mins ago, clambellies said:

I think a lot of those guys were hoping the easy fishing of a few years back would happen again.  A couple average mediocre years and they'll get dicouraged.

yes and no. the ends still get packed when there are reports of any bass around. many parts of the rest of the canal can be a ghost town even during prime tides.

i go out and fish no matter what. I don't chase reports. there have been many times the last couple of years where I'm fishing prime tides and I'm the only person out there for a 1/4, 1/2 mile or more in either direction. 

last July I was throwing eels over night when I got into nothing but slot fish up to 41" for most of a tide. there was no one near me for about a mile on either side of me. as the morning crowd started showing up they all biked past me as they headed to the west end.

it was glorious. 4-5 hours of tap, tap, tap on my eels with no one trying to crowd me while the googans raced to the crowds and insanity of the west end.

Edited by zak-striper

22 mins ago, zak-striper said:

yes and no. the ends still get packed when there are reports of any bass around. many parts of the rest of the canal can be a ghost town even during prime tides.

i go out and fish no matter what. I don't chase reports. there have been many times the last couple of years where I'm fishing prime tides and I'm the only person out there for a 1/4, 1/2 mile or more in either direction. 

last July I was throwing eels over night when I got into nothing but slot fish up to 41" for most of a tide. there was no one near me for about a mile on either side of me. as the morning crowd started showing up they all biked past me as they headed to the west end.

it was glorious. 4-5 hours of tap, tap, tap on my eels with no one trying to crowd me whoie the googans raced to the crowds and insanity of the west end.

You must be the only one fishing prime tides with no one in sight Magic it is for sure.

Let’s be clear about one thing. Slow fishing on the Cape will still always be better than the places a lot of people came from. It is more a case of people just not knowing about a lot of great fishing spots before the Internet. Now that they know they ain’t going anywhere. Wishful thinking will have zero effect on the crowds. 

On 2/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, codfish said:

In Mass we have miles and miles of open beaches to fish where you might see 1 or 2 people all day, and yes the fishing is very good, so I don't get the appeal of shoulder to shoulder fishing, what am I missing??

If you have to ask; you would not understand what some have enjoyed for years. It was/is a special place.  :p

24 mins ago, 27conch said:

I am with you codfish.  I never got it and never wanted to fish it.  Throwing 5oz bucktails on an 11' heavy rod has no appeal.  I watched videos of guys fighting big fish in that current and the fish is dead by the time they land it, as they drag it up current forever. 

I can't tell you how many cows I've dragged out of the deep current on heavy bucktails and not one of those fish were dead when I landed them.  I admit to a couple taking a while to revive but I kept at it until they all swam off strongly.  The only time I've killed a good bass was when they inhaled a Stik Shadd type lure and had both trebles buried deeply in the gill & throat area.  

5 mins ago, clambellies said:

I can't tell you how many cows I've dragged out of the deep current on heavy bucktails and not one of those fish were dead when I landed them.  I admit to a couple taking a while to revive but I kept at it until they all swam off strongly.  The only time I've killed a good bass was when they inhaled a Stik Shadd type lure and had both trebles buried deeply in the gill & throat area.  

Not ball busting but double trebles are bad. 1 Treble and a single siwash will get the job done most of time and on stick shads 2 single siwash works pretty good too. Like i said not trying to find fault here; but more C&R regs are coming and I assume hooks will come into play too. Circle hooks on bait and all the trebles you want on these "new" crazy effective artificial baits make no sense.

1 hour ago, 27conch said:

Throwing 5oz bucktails on an 11' heavy rod has no appeal.  I watched videos of guys fighting big fish in that current and the fish is dead by the time they land it, as they drag it up current forever. 

If fish are coming in dead, those guys are using hopelessly underpowered gear.

You're right: an 11ft heavy rod with serious backbone is the name of the game. Anyone down there flitzing around with a whippy 1-4 beachrod is just asking for trouble. But a 3-7? Big gurls make a run or two, then get ripped right in. 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

2 hours ago, 27conch said:

I am with you codfish.  I never got it and never wanted to fish it.  Throwing 5oz bucktails on an 11' heavy rod has no appeal.  I watched videos of guys fighting big fish in that current and the fish is dead by the time they land it, as they drag it up current forever. 

Before it became a ZOO; a calm morning with a "breaking tide" was beyond exciting! Here they come you can hear the breaks and the splashing you are throwing top water lures with single hooks the fight is on and you can release the fish quickly(mostly unharmed) and go at it again. Almost as good as harvesting a 200 plus pound Buck. I've been "lucky" to have done both and watching a "large" swim away is something special. Easier than making your peace with the beautiful deer you harvested. No catch and release in hunting too bad.

4 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Let’s be clear about one thing. Slow fishing on the Cape will still always be better than the places a lot of people came from. It is more a case of people just not knowing about a lot of great fishing spots before the Internet. Now that they know they ain’t going anywhere. Wishful thinking will have zero effect on the crowds. 

I know tons of guys that drive by beautiful spots to fish canal because thats all they know!

49 mins ago, K Foley said:

Before it became a ZOO; a calm morning with a "breaking tide" was beyond exciting! Here they come you can hear the breaks and the splashing you are throwing top water lures with single hooks the fight is on and you can release the fish quickly(mostly unharmed) and go at it again. 

……..and don’t forget another enjoyable aspect of those breaking tides, Kev.  It’s when the morning bite was over and we all biked back west and hooked up at the rail to chat about our catches.  

Nice conversations I had with you and Frank as you sat on the grass when I biked back to BSP.  Yessiree……those were the best of times.  Great memories. 

10 hours ago, K Foley said:

Before it became a ZOO; a calm morning with a "breaking tide" was beyond exciting! Here they come you can hear the breaks and the splashing you are throwing top water lures with single hooks the fight is on and you can release the fish quickly(mostly unharmed) and go at it again. Almost as good as harvesting a 200 plus pound Buck. I've been "lucky" to have done both and watching a "large" swim away is something special. Easier than making your peace with the beautiful deer you harvested. No catch and release in hunting too bad.

When did it become a zoo? I remember the herring run as a kid being as bad as anything I have ever seen.