aae0130

Braid to Fluoro

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 lb. Power Pro main line and 30 Lb Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon leader……FG knot.    How many wraps?

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been doing 20 on any and all connections of various braid and flouro sizes and have yet to have an FG break before the terminal knot breaks.

Edited by TheSuperApe
Mistyped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I finger tighten and really focus on that process in the middle of the knot. 
 

At the end, I use a rizutto style finish. I recently started doing that finish with one different step.
 

After you tie the rizutto (YouTube it if needed), lightly hold the main line and tag end of the leader (not yet trimmed past the end of the FG) in your right hand.

 

Put the leader under your arm or in your mouth. Use pliers with your left hand to pull the tag end of the braid as tight as you can get it. 
 

Now- pull the main line & leader in opposite directions. Trim the braid tag and the leader down close to the back end of the FG. Burn the nub on braid and leader. 
 

bingo. 

 

This puts a little pressure on the knot to start cinching down evenly. I do the same when I use a bobbin to tie a PR but on the beach I tie an FG & use my teeth. Don’t tell the dentist!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, TheSuperApe said:

I've been doing 20 on any and all connections of various braid and flouro sizes and have yet to have an FG break before the terminal knot breaks.

Yeah…..me too.   Why I’m asking is I have been watching videos on YouTube (from prominent experts) and in one of the “knot” videos the guy said he uses 16 wraps. Another guy said 12……..It started me thinking maybe I was going overboard. Wanted to get a feel for what others are doing. I have not been using the FG for that long…….Previously I used the surgeons knot, but it was just wasnt dependable. 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an Alberto knot with 15-20 wraps. I know the fg knot it stronger but I can tie an Alberto easier and more reliably. Never had it fail on me, usually the leader breaks or my leader to clip knot breaks. 

 

Side note, I don't use fluro usually using mono for a leader if that matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know lots of fellas can probably do the FG with their hands behind their backs in the dark on a rolling boat deck. 
 

But for those of us less talented, I find a 4-6oz sinker on my braid line helps for nice tension and makes a purty knot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 wraps total always worked fine for me and never a problem.

 

As Danthe said a sinker works since to keep tension, doesn’t have to be tightline tight but some tension on the main line for the wraps. 
 

For the most part I tie FG at home and if breakage happens in field I just do a Uni to Uni or even Double Surgeon if really windy and want fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Danthe said:

I know lots of fellas can probably do the FG with their hands behind their backs in the dark on a rolling boat deck. 
 

But for those of us less talented, I find a 4-6oz sinker on my braid line helps for nice tension and makes a purty knot. 

Talented? Eyes closed?  Although I use the FG, a video of me tying it could get laughs on the Benny Hill show. It’s a 5 minutes minimum affair…..

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

57 mins ago, Foxwoods321 said:

20 wraps total always worked fine for me and never a problem.

 

As Danthe said a sinker works since to keep tension, doesn’t have to be tightline tight but some tension on the main line for the wraps. 
 

For the most part I tie FG at home and if breakage happens in field I just do a Uni to Uni or even Double Surgeon if really windy and want fast.

Me too sometimes…..if I get frustrated or the boats bouncing around I will do a double surgeon. Not as strong but very easy and fast…….

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why the FG is viewed as difficult. Easiest knot imo. Some wrapping of the line around your leader and half hitches is so simple. Only hard part is tightening the knot without cutting your hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EricDice said:

Also, I finger tighten and really focus on that process in the middle of the knot. 
 

At the end, I use a rizutto style finish. I recently started doing that finish with one different step.
 

After you tie the rizutto (YouTube it if needed), lightly hold the main line and tag end of the leader (not yet trimmed past the end of the FG) in your right hand.

 

Put the leader under your arm or in your mouth. Use pliers with your left hand to pull the tag end of the braid as tight as you can get it. 
 

Now- pull the main line & leader in opposite directions. Trim the braid tag and the leader down close to the back end of the FG. Burn the nub on braid and leader. 
 

bingo. 

 

This puts a little pressure on the knot to start cinching down evenly. I do the same when I use a bobbin to tie a PR but on the beach I tie an FG & use my teeth. Don’t tell the dentist!

I think the rizzuto and the burning of the tags is what initially makes people turn from the FG knot. Neither is necessary at all and makes for a bulkier knot which is the opposite of the goal of the FG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Neither is necessary at all and makes for a bulkier knot which is the opposite of the goal of the FG.

Agreed, I did the rizzuto for a bit, but after field tying a number of times and only finishing with a double overhand hitch, one underhand, then one more overhand, I determined I wasn't losing anything.  The rizzuto does negate the need to doctor the tag end tho.  Right now, I tie an overhand knot on the braid tag-end and slide it all the way down to the FG to prevent the finishing hitches from easing off. No complaints thus far

Edited by cbinvb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.