aquaholic23

Amazon Proposed Project Hwy 34

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I usually don't do this but I feel like this is going under the radar and needs to be put on display. 

Amazon is currently proposing a plan to create a 9 warehouse (1.5 million square foot) large site off of Hwy 34 in Wall Township. They have already began developing 2 other sites in Tinton Falls as well as Eatontown. This would be their third warehouse in the local area. They are attempting to enlarge the local airport so cargo planes and other shippers will be able to easily access their warehouse directly across Easy Hurley Pond Rd. Not only will they create a larger addition to the airport but they will create a 4 lane road on E Hurley Pond so their trucks and other needs can be met. The location of this site is on the old McDowell Mining Property which lies behind the Wall Stadium Speedway. Not sure if any of you know of this location but it has been around for as long as my short life and many many years prior.

There are local high school sports fields on the same road as well as Allaire State Park nearby which will also be in danger from this project. Close communities and those within a large radius from this site will be affected by pollution, noise, and many more factors. This will create an unnecessary amount of traffic not only for Hwy 34, GSP, and local roads but also I-195 as well as the turnpike due to its close proximity. Not something we need more of.

I was only recently informed of this via an online petition so my info on the topic is limited. Google searches have done nothing but come up empty for me. Local residents who reside behind this area have been informed due to this create a new possible flood zone hazard, something they have not had to worry about in the past. They are the ones who began spreading this information to as many as they can. 

Hopefully this will begin to spread and more people will be informed to prevent this from happening. 

google "wall Township Amazon petition" to sign if you'd like. I know it's a long shot but I can't stand see this s*** happen. 

Edited by aquaholic23
good cause, online petition links are blocked here

Had no idea. Thats not too far from where I live. Ive seen what they built in tinton falls by the Neptune Walmart. They also built something by the costco in ocean township often confused with asbury park. Very unsightly and cold. Sounds like this new project you speak of would be another major kick in the pants 

Thanks for tuning me in. 

This type of project perfectly demonstrates one of my biggest issues with these massive companies. When the US government wants to commence a “major federal action” (this project would likely fall within that definition), the agencies responsible for the project must go through a lengthy process to analyze impacts such as noise and vibration, induced traffic, environmental impacts, etc. The agencies are also required to disclose the impacts to the public at multiple points during the process, receive public comment, and mitigate major impacts. The usefulness of this process is an entirely separate discussion, but at least the process exists. 

Contrast that with what you’ve just described. Here we have a company whose business is larger than the economies of nearly all of the countries in the world—yet Amazon is just a “private company” exempt from all of the requirements described above. They don’t need to analyze and consider how a cargo plane flying low over thousands of residents will impact their lives or their properties, or how a parade of tractor trailers will impact an already overcrowded highway. Above all else, they certainly don’t need to disclose any shred of information to you, or me, or anyone else. 

What more can I do besides sign this petition and simply hope that this proposal fails?

These companies need to be trust-busted like the monopolies of the past. We cannot have world-superpower-sized private companies stomping around anywhere they please. I pray that in my lifetime I may witness Amazon being shattered into tiny useless pieces. 

This is only my opinion. Some may disagree, but my god… not even a simple notice to the public? That’s downright evil. 

I live near the one in Robbinsville.  Speaking from experience, similar to the OP ,when the plans were announced it was a scary proposition.  Everyone worried about disruptions for many of the same reasons in mentioned above. Rally's were staged to try and stop it from happening. Now a few years later honestly it's hardly noticeable.  Employee shift changes do not happen during peek driving times so that's not a major interference. Truck deliveries are a minor issue.  Not as bad as what the opponents to the project were rallying about.  We have a major Sport Field House used for many different meets on the same block as the DC and a park another .25 of a mile away.  There's no sense of danger at those facilities.  From what I can see the Amazon folks run a tight ship and are accommodating to work with the community to address concerns.  It seems scary when they come to your town but it's not as awful as people fear.  

3 hours ago, bdowning said:

They are taking over. The United States of Amazonia.

The shop online trend was growing so fast pre-covid.  It's into the stratosphere now and the local shops are struggling more than ever. 

Unfortunately people care more about how quickly they can order sh1t on the internet then preserve our state.  

I read there’s plans to demolish some of the row houses at Sandy Hook and convert the area to condos and a sports bar.  Bars name is going to be called “The Sandy Hancock”

The bar/resturant on Sandy Hook will be located in the Mule Barn, an existing facility, that is being totally redone to standards & you would never know that this place was ever a dilapidated run down building just a short time ago.  Take a ride on Officers Row, so sad to see the building literally falling down in front of your eyes, something had to be done to preserve the Hook from becoming rubble, since the Federal Government is not investing a dime to save it.

32 mins ago, RU fishin' said:

The bar/resturant on Sandy Hook will be located in the Mule Barn, an existing facility, that is being totally redone to standards & you would never know that this place was ever a dilapidated run down building just a short time ago.  Take a ride on Officers Row, so sad to see the building literally falling down in front of your eyes, something had to be done to preserve the Hook from becoming rubble, since the Federal Government is not investing a dime to save it.

Where are they in the restoration process of the Mule Barn?  I'd be interesting in seeing this come back to life even if it is in that form.  Will be hard to take the Mrs there for a night out and not want to get out on the sand. 

There has been work on the outside going on for a while, looks to be nearly done with the outside but have no idea where they are on the inside, but there are workers working every day.

Tear out more ****ing acres of woodlands to pop up a shithole warehouse for lazy ****s who can't go shopping away from their couches and iPads. :mad:

I hate this ****. Stupid corrupt money grabbing town councils sucking Bezo's cock to line their own pockets. What's happening out on 33 is heart wrenching. How can you not get enraged by the destruction of land?

Just pave the whole ****ing county and complete the job turning us into Bergen county South.

Does anyone even still get their packages in 2 days from the time the order is placed? I used to get 100% of my orders in 2 days from placement. Now i get 50% in 2 days. Now its 2day shipping. Not 2 day delivery. Big difference.  Prime membership just went up....again. I'm noticing that prices are cheaper in the big box stores. I think i need to cancel prime. Sorry for the rant.

15 mins ago, adams54 said:

Does anyone even still get their packages in 2 days from the time the order is placed? I used to get 100% of my orders in 2 days from placement. Now i get 50% in 2 days. Now its 2day shipping. Not 2 day delivery. Big difference.  Prime membership just went up....again. I'm noticing that prices are cheaper in the big box stores. I think i need to cancel prime. Sorry for the rant.

Don't have Amazon Prime, but Chewy delivery is outstanding, ordered dog food & biscuits yesterday afternoon & had delivery this afternoon

A similar Amazon mega structure is going up presently in my small hamlet of Hawthorne, NY. It’s on the outskirts of town in a ‘flats’ area, and probably will have little negative impact.

The surprising fact is no one  knew about it until it was well underway. I’m sure all the standard public notifications/comments took place, but it went under everyone’s radar.