Bergallmaster

Walkaround i/o's

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2022 at 9:24 AM, Bergallmaster said:

Im gonna need a bigger boat. My 18 isnt cutting it anymore. Im looking for a 20-22' w/a with a io. As we know the price of boats is stupid right now. Not looking to spend huge bucks on a 20 year old outboard. I was an auto mechanic, so i figure with an i/o i can do everything myself. Bonus, nobody wants them so prices are a bit more reasonable. There's quite a few gradys out there but the name adds $ and they are mid 80's hulls. I've run across some trophys that are early 2000s running same price as a grady (10k range). I know, trophy i.e. fancy bayliner. 

1. Any other brands that have made i/o walkarounds in the past 20 years?

2. One of the trophys, 2052wa has a 3.0 in it. Is a 3.0 on a 20' enough to get wife and 2 kids up to about 25 knots?

Dusky did the 25' in I/O in the past. Not sure if they still offer it?

I spent a few years on a 24 Grady with Yanmar I/O. The thing was great. Only time we had an issue was the time we "found" a rock with the lower unit.

There's the auto engine based part (easy if you know your way around Chevrolet small blocks, parts are cheap and plentiful, far simpler than ANY modern outboard) then there's the transom mount and outdrive. I don't have a fishing boat but my old '88 Four Winns (OMC Cobra 4.3 4bbl) has been moored in salt water for 15+ years for 6 months each year. In that time I have not had to do any major repairs on the transom mount, or outdrive. All it takes is regular maintenance:

Winterizing every fall, tune up in spring

Pull drive in fall, check:

bellows for cracks/water intrusion, gimble bearing, u joints, trim cyl and lines

outdrive oil for water intrusion

if you do this they will last, the Chevrolet based engines to me are better than outboards, why you say:

simpler, cheaper to repair, if you start with a new or reman engine that has no corrosion inside you can add a closed cooling system and it will last longer than an outboard. 

What I like about them is all the work I did on small block Chevrolets in my youth in the 70s, is in my memory banks and I can maintain them very simply and inexpensively. Not held hostage by uber expensive Yamaha outboard parts prices. 

18'-20' boat you can get by with the 4.3 especially with the 4bbl carb, bigger than 20' go with a 5.7 V8, again with 4bbl carb. 

My 20' with the 4.3 4bbl is very economical it runs on the small primaries of the Rochester Quadrajet most of the time, but the huge secondaries make it fun to open it up. When the time comes I may stick with the 4.3 for my next engine if fuel prices take a big jump this year. Which I am sure they will. Pix are from my top engine overhaul 5 years ago, replaced the old heads with a set of reman 4.3 cyl heads. Easy job, parts cost was approx $750 plus I also installed new center riser exhaust at the same time. Try that on a Yamaha! 

4.3 new cyl heads installed.jpg

re-assembling the old 4.3 #2.JPG

re-assembling the old 4.3.JPG

On 2/2/2022 at 10:35 AM, makorider said:

If I was going that route, and I don't even know if anyone makes one....BUT....I'd be looking for a jackshafted I/O

- Weight is forward, you get the ride of an inboard with the trim ability of an outboard or i/o

- Roomy cockpit

This is what you should look into. Rampage built a 24 with this set up. 

On 2/4/2022 at 11:47 AM, Bergallmaster said:

The only reason shamrock is not on the list is cause the draw. Jamaica bay has a lot if shallow spots.

Shamrock used to make some inboards with a pocket drive, which draw less than the keeled ones.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:41 AM, sams said:

Parker made some walkaround IO's and will probably be your best bet for a good sea boat.  Those older Grady's were probably before the most recent few hull iterations and the Trophy is, well a Trophy.

sam

Trophy was a bayliner back before they went rouge on their own in early 2000’s.  Are you basing your dislike on the early or later boats ? Have you ridden or owned that of the later ? 

I own a 2352 w/350 i/o. Great boat. Rides great and has not let me down. Being a 23’ you need to pick and choose your days like any other 23’. Boat is well thought out, access to everything you need fix or change. 

to each their own. A lot has to do with who owned it and how it was taken care of. An older boat may be the ticket vs a newer tub which the owner never pay attention to upkeep. 

best recommendation is to look at as many as possible and figure what you need. Get receipts and maintenance records. Do sea trials and pay for gas and time. Cheaper to spend a few hundred then thousands. 

Obviously biased here, but if you can find a 1970's era 23' seacraft Sceptre/Tsunami (they changed the name in 1975) you wont be displeased. We got our 1975 in 2019 and have put 600+ hours going anywhere from East of Chatham to Cuttyhunk and everywhere in between. The cuddy is small, but if you are comfortable with your partner, two can fit easily.

May not be the prettiest boat out there but she rides in a 2-3' chop like its butter with the variable deadrise hull (Potter design) and reminds me of my days growing up on our family's old 25' bertram. 

Ours has a 99' 350 mercruiser paired with an Alpha I Gen II, which allows us to get into skinny water (~18") and has a massive deck. I cant post pictures yet, but I would be happy to talk more about this model etc anytime. Some good ones pop up on CL from time to time, but gotta act quick because they have quite the following. Transom age and soft decks (if that kind of thing annoys you) are the main areas that you should look out for. 

Im gonna see if i can pick up a 86 grady overnighter 20' this weekend. I sea trialed it in the fall and it rode nice. It has some soft spots on the floor and it has the 3.7 engine in it. I didnt like the $7500 price though. Too much for that boat in that condition and he wasnt negotiable. He's since dropped the price to 4k and i think i can get it down a little more. Plan is, use it as is this year then next year swap engine to a 4.3, redo floor and other stuff. I think I'll be all in at about 10k by the time im done and ill have a solid boat.

Good Luck! Gradys have a great following and I think they are still making the 20' overnighter to this day. Paired with a Bimini top, its amazing how much better I feel in a walkaround after a day on the water without being constantly exposed to the elements. Keep us updated with the progress!

Im limited to 22'. ive searched high and low. Personally id like a pilothouse but wife and kids really liked the bow access. There are no robalo 2440's anywhere near me. I think wellcraft made a 21 w/a but cant find em. Parkers are very few in the w/a area and still stupidly expensive for a 30 year old boat. Then there's a ton of lesser hulls out there but many are older. I know chriscraft had cracking issues in the 80's so thats a no go. A few dixies out there but i dont trust companies that are long gone. The good thing with grady is theres a ton of them out there with lots of boards and videos.

5 hours ago, Bergallmaster said:

Im gonna see if i can pick up a 86 grady overnighter 20' this weekend. I sea trialed it in the fall and it rode nice. It has some soft spots on the floor and it has the 3.7 engine in it. I didnt like the $7500 price though. Too much for that boat in that condition and he wasnt negotiable. He's since dropped the price to 4k and i think i can get it down a little more. Plan is, use it as is this year then next year swap engine to a 4.3, redo floor and other stuff. I think I'll be all in at about 10k by the time im done and ill have a solid boat.

If it is soft in the deck it is soft in the stringers, run away.

8 hours ago, Bergallmaster said:

That Grady might be the best example of a fishing-friendly cuddy design (by my standards anyway). The cabin is small, located forward, thus leaving a lot of deck space. My Gypsy puts the emphasis on deck space too, although not as pronounced. The Gypsy's a 22, so overall the deck space is prolly close.

Have you ever considered looking at/for a Gypsy? I mean, it does fit the description of what your looking for. Neither transom nor stringer condition were a big concern for me, because. A friend has had 2 CC HiLiners, same hull as mine, same vintage, prolly within a few years of mine which is a1970. With both, he yanked the I/O and added a bracket. He din have to rebuild the transom on either, just closed up the hole. On the second one he had to replace the deck, but the stringers were fine. I sounded my hull when I looked it sounded hard as a rock.  The layup is really thick. Im not sure what the hull thickness above waterline is, but I'd be surprised if it were less than an inch. My 87 Aqua Id guess about 1/3". Definitely no more than 1/2".

If I hadn't been generally familiar with that 1970 hull, I would've been asking the seller...do you mind if I drill a few small holes in the transom and stringers? I brought some MarineTek to fill em when I'm done. :laugh: