Bergallmaster

Walkaround i/o's

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Im gonna need a bigger boat. My 18 isnt cutting it anymore. Im looking for a 20-22' w/a with a io. As we know the price of boats is stupid right now. Not looking to spend huge bucks on a 20 year old outboard. I was an auto mechanic, so i figure with an i/o i can do everything myself. Bonus, nobody wants them so prices are a bit more reasonable. There's quite a few gradys out there but the name adds $ and they are mid 80's hulls. I've run across some trophys that are early 2000s running same price as a grady (10k range). I know, trophy i.e. fancy bayliner. 

1. Any other brands that have made i/o walkarounds in the past 20 years?

2. One of the trophys, 2052wa has a 3.0 in it. Is a 3.0 on a 20' enough to get wife and 2 kids up to about 25 knots?

Parker made some walkaround IO's and will probably be your best bet for a good sea boat.  Those older Grady's were probably before the most recent few hull iterations and the Trophy is, well a Trophy.

sam

22 mins ago, sams said:

Parker made some walkaround IO's and will probably be your best bet for a good sea boat.  Those older Grady's were probably before the most recent few hull iterations and the Trophy is, well a Trophy.

sam

I know robalo did too, but both the robalo and parker are as rare as hens teeth. If it was solely my choice, I'd have either a 21' steiger block island or a 21 robalo cc. Family though.:dungeon:

Posted (edited)

ProLines are usually available cheap. Also not a Steiger...

I've seen a few Makos out there too

Edited by Joe

I'd rethink the I/O thing on a small walkaround, it's going to take up a lot of cockpit, and yes 3.0 is pretty small for a 20 WA. 

If I was going that route, and I don't even know if anyone makes one....BUT....I'd be looking for a jackshafted I/O

- Weight is forward, you get the ride of an inboard with the trim ability of an outboard or i/o

- Roomy cockpit

19 mins ago, Billybob said:

I'd rethink the I/O thing on a small walkaround, it's going to take up a lot of cockpit, and yes 3.0 is pretty small for a 20 WA. 

We sea trialed a  grady 204. Wife and kids loved the layout. I was ok with it. Guy had the 3.7 which moved nicely. But that 3.7:dismay:

I figured the 3.0 might be a little light.

2 hours ago, makorider said:

If I was going that route, and I don't even know if anyone makes one....BUT....I'd be looking for a jackshafted I/O

- Weight is forward, you get the ride of an inboard with the trim ability of an outboard or i/o

- Roomy cockpit

Those Korean boats made by the Moonies have that I forget the brand name

3 mins ago, Joe said:

Those Korean boats made by the Moonies have that I forget the brand name

true world marine

I don't think those would be in my search.  Flat Flat Flat bottomed with a sharp entry

I have a 1995 seapro 21 w/a with a mercruiser 4 3lx i/o that Ive owned since 1999. It's been solid for all these year. Had to do some work on it...replace oil pan, rebuild heads, replace starter, and of course manifold and risers, etc. Sounds like a solid i/o seapro might wirk well for your needs. The 21 and 23 look very similar from that era. 

The True World, as mentioned above,  may fit the bill. They mostly are 28 ft but they made some in 24. 

Maybe Shamrock? They have some mid 20 footers with an OK walk around.

38 mins ago, ChrisO said:

Maybe Shamrock? They have some mid 20 footers with an OK walk around.

Didn't they build some small inboards as well? That would fit you bill well.

I believe that Shamrock made a lot of inboard or I/O style. I saw some when I was looking for a boat that size a few years ago. Read mostly very good things, but for my style I don't like the increased draw for shallow water like Joe mentioned. 

My Dad has a 28 True world since 2004 with a Yanmar in I/O and its been a very solid boat. Ive never seen the 24 in person though.