Angler #1

A new type of fishing tournment

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

A friend on mine who takes care of our computer for us was telling me about a tournament in California where all of the fishermen have contest along the beach front with a trophy and all. The hooks are all baited up with bait , cast out and very carefully retrieved . Like most contests the largest one won the trophy . The subject of there event was CRABS . My friend told me it was the most different tournament he had ever seen and the largest crab took home the trophy of the day . The crabs all went home to be cooked and eaten , Now that is an idea for a future time. Peace and Prayers  

44 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I love this idea.   But it wouldn't work here.  it would be all spider crabs :freak:

Spider crabs not so good in the pot Peace and Prayers

10 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Does anyone eat spider crabs? I have never tried, and I have heard that you cant eat them, but isnt it from the same family as king crab?

Some cultures eat them.

I watched a video recently where the were preparing spider crabs for a meal with some additional things added to the pot . The shell and all was cooked together in some sort of paste , not appealing to me . Peace and Prayer

I have spent a fair amount of time in Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines.   I've eaten a lot of "different" stuff.  99% of it was delicious!  The key is getting over your preconceived ideas and trying new things with an open mind.   Among some of the delicacies:   horsemeat, scorpions, fried whole crabs (eaten as a snack, like peanuts), jellyfish, fish eyes (not a favorite), turtle soup, drunken prawns (awesome).  

Try new stuff, you might like it!

Posted (edited)

Ive spent a fair amount of time all over the Bahamian out islands.  Ate a lot of interesting different food that you'd never find on a menu back home.

But one thing I refused to try was land crabs.  These are crabs that live on land, are almost exclusively nocturnal.  Each island has a couple guys who trap then, in cages, then drive around to various neighborhoods selling them.

Land crabs have an interesting diet.  Goats abound all over these islands, and pretty much run wild.  As well as neighborhood dogs.  

An old local told me that inspite of all the goats and dogs, you never see any goat or dog poop.  He was correct.  That was because the land crab's diet was comprised   almost exclusively of any kind of poop it can find.

Edited by bob_G

14 hours ago, b-ware said:

Just another catch, kill and eat tournament,      

:laugh: 

8 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Does anyone eat spider crabs? I have never tried, and I have heard that you cant eat them, but isnt it from the same family as king crab?

to me they look more like the snow crab. if you're ever being adventurous, drop some bait off your stern near the east entrance to the canal. there are some GIANT spider crabs that crawl around that ledge...