R.R. Bridge Fisher

Airbrush recommendations

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Harbor freight air brush BLOWS! I tried one so I never bought one. Or maybe I just suck with an air brush.  I could do a better job with rattle cans. 

Edited by poopdeck

Starting out, paasche H airbrush. Its a single action brush. A big step up from rattle cans. Around $60. There are several models with the only difference being the tip size. You can pick up replacement tips and needles for them. #3 for most work. #5 is good for base coats and simple two color paint schemes. The #3 is a bit finer and you can get more detail on the paint. If you want more detail (thin lines, dots, etc), you can use the #1 tip/needle. 

I've used the H.F. airbrush for a while now. I  use it occasionally for a splash of color around the eye or under the chin, sometimes two-tones if I feel like being Fancy !! . I like very simple , solid colors so it's really not an issue, Heated rattle cans work fine unless I feel like breaking out the 'big guns' .Having said that, I definitely would NOT recommend it for anyone that actually wants to do any real airbrushing ! There's WAAAAY better out there. 

dont buy a cheapo brush, you will not be happy with the results, and you will blame yourself and become discouraged,a good starting point paasche ,badger, I would recomend dual action, both could be had between 60, and 100, $ but keep this in mind you will not get great results at the first press of the button, it takes a little practice, but after a few sheets of cardboard and a few plugs later its worth it

On 1/28/2022 at 3:06 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Sorry if this has been beaten to death.  Is a harbor freight airbrush a waste of time  and money or are there other beginner options? 

Thanks 

RR, I would presume that you're all set on the air supply required for the airbrush. If not, this combo from Harbor Freight seems more than adequate.

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

4 mins ago, surfninja said:

RR, I would presume that you're all set on the air supply required for the airbrush. If not, this combo from Harbor Freight seems more than adequate.

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

Yes I have everything else except the brush

Thanks 

On 1/30/2022 at 7:23 PM, surfninja said:

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you like this bundle? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/1/2022 at 6:19 PM, pricise10 said:

I was asking ninja, :laugh:

pricise10, it's more than adequate. To be sure, it's not as refined as an Iwata or Harder/Steenbeck but it's performance is satisfactory.

Edited by surfninja
sp.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Sorry if this has been beaten to death.  Is a harbor freight airbrush a waste of time  and money or are there other beginner options? 

Thanks 

Hi RR,

This Iwata is the one I went to an art store (Blick) to buy a few yrs ago, but they were out of it and I ended

up buying the one above it the Eclipse hps-cs. The hps-cs has been great for me, but is more $. The revolution has a .5 tip which should clog very little and allow all but very fine work to be done and is very

well reviewed. I think it is clearly a huge step above a cheapy, and likely to deliver excellent service and be much more satisfying to use. I researched it a lot at the time. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 6.35.04 AM.png

2 mins ago, Seakarp said:

Hi RR,

This Iwata is the one I went to an art store (Blick) to buy a few yrs ago, but they were out of it and I ended

up buying the one above it the Eclipse hps-cs. The hps-cs has been great for me, but is more $. The revolution has a .5 tip which should clog very little and allow all but very fine work to be done and is very

well reviewed. I think it is clearly a huge step above a cheapy, and likely to deliver excellent service and be much more satisfying to use. I researched it a lot at the time. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 6.35.04 AM.png

:howdy: