jjdbike

Short ribs on smoker revisited

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I've done short ribs twice. They came out well both times. The first time I smoked them on my BGE till bark was good and dark, then wrapped them crutch style. 

The second time I smoked them on a WSM till stall, then put them in pan w/ stock, Worcestershire sauce and butter tightly wrapped till they came almost to temp. Then back on grill to firm up bark. Basiclly 3,2 1. Came out great, though my wife complained that they didn't have enough flavor.

Seems most braise them. I've read a lot of folks who said they're tricky, or hard to get tender. I suppose I just got lucky. Perhaps there is  a wade range of individual differences from steer to steer or how they're butchered?

Some just smoke w/out wrapping or braising. I've also read that it's the braising process that makes them tender.

Can you folks please share your knowledge, tips and experiences w/ beef short ribs on a smoker, braising etc...? Recipes are also appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

JD

Spent too much time searching the interwebs for opinions on smoked short ribs. Seems like a split between doing whole cook on smoker and wrapping. The unwrapped method takes longer and results in better bark. The krutch method cooks faster, and might potentially be a tad more moist. A  3,2,1 might be the best of both worlds. I

Your thoughts?

JD

Also, I'm wondering about the water pan in general. Some say it just slows down the cook. One would think it would help minimize moisture loss, though moisture loss is a part of the cooking process. Some cookers, e.g. WSM, are designed specifically to use a water pan. At the end of the day, I wonder if a water pan makes any difference. I always use it just in case it does.

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

Unfortunately, the nicest short ribs I could find were boneless individually cut plate ribs. They were packed two to a package and marked US Prime. I was hoping for a full plate but no luck. 

I made up my own rub w/ black pepper, kosher salt, granulated onion and garlic, paprika, ancho, celery seed, and some dried herbs. After trimming off membranes and hard fat, I slathered w/ combo of oil and Worcestershire sauce and applied the rub. Left out to come up to temp.

Excited as I was about it, I was torn as to how I would approach this cook. Straight pit, wrap 3,2,1, braise? One of my most common mistakes decided my path forward for me. My classic mistake was, after I lit the egg, I left the top open too long while coals caught and they got too hot. I got distracted by spearing salt on my icy driveway. OCD & ADHD, the struggle is real. When I closed the lid the temp on my freshly re-calibrated dome thermometer quickly rose to 350. 100 degrees higher than I wanted. Took an hour to get temp down to 300. By then the coals were nearly out. I had to literally blow into the bottom vent to get burning again. I added the wood chunks, 1 chunk of hickory, one of pecan and one of apple (I was having an indecisive day). Then I noticed something unexpected. The temp at the grill grate level measured barely 170 while the dome thermometer was hovering around 300. I attribute this to how well that thick ceramic holds heat.

When the smoke was clean, I placed the ribs. An unexpected benefit of my error was the ribs were allowed to come up to room temp and the rub to set up well. 

I placed the temp probes and checked at the two hour mark. They had already reached 165 internally. Cooking way faster then I expected. I attribute this to starting at room temp and that they were individually cut instead of a whole plate. The bark was setting up nicely so I decided to keep on the pit and skip the braise or wrap. I spritzed w/ beef stock every 30 mins till they reached 200. I probed and they still had more resistance than I liked. I ran them up to 206, probe tender! I wrapped tightly in several layers of foil and then several towels in preheated cooler for 3 hours. 

Mean while I made some mashed potatoes. I also and blanched, flattened and topped some Brussel sprouts w/ bacon crumbles S & P and greated parm for roasting. 

Firmed bark back up in broiler, sliced and served.

Shared w/ neighbors who were both laid up. He had hip surgery and she sprained her back.

We all enjoyed it. Looking forward to leftovers tonight. One rib was two servings. 

I love beef short ribs!

JD

IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

Edited by jjdbike

Looks fantastic Jim... I too love short ribs, but haven't done them in quite awhile.. My wife doesn't care for their richness... I didn't chime in earlier, because I really don't have a "Recipe" or method...

Butch

16 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Unfortunately, the nicest short ribs I could find were boneless individually cut plate ribs. They were packed two to a package and marked US Prime. I was hoping for a full plate but no luck. 

I made up my own rub w/ black pepper, kosher salt, granulated onion and garlic, paprika, ancho, celery seed, and some dried herbs. After trimming off membranes and hard fat, I slathered w/ combo of oil and Worcestershire sauce and applied the rub. Left out to come up to temp.

Excited as I was about it, I was torn as to how I would approach this cook. Straight pit, wrap 3,2,1, braise? One of my most common mistakes decided my path forward for me. My classic mistake was, after I lit the egg, I left the top open too long while coals caught and they got too hot. I got distracted by spearing salt on my icy driveway. OCD & ADHD, the struggle is real. When I closed the lid the temp on my freshly re-calibrated dome thermometer quickly rose to 350. 100 degrees higher than I wanted. Took an hour to get temp down to 300. By then the coals were nearly out. I had to literally blow into the bottom vent to get burning again. I added the wood chunks, 1 chunk of hickory, one of pecan and one of apple (I was having an indecisive day). Then I noticed something unexpected. The temp at the grill grate level measured barely 170 while the dome thermometer was hovering around 300. I attribute this to how well that thick ceramic holds heat.

When the smoke was clean, I placed the ribs. An unexpected benefit of my error was the ribs were allowed to come up to room temp and the rub to set up well. 

I placed the temp probes and checked at the two hour mark. They had already reached 165 internally. Cooking way faster then I expected. I attribute this to starting at room temp and that they were individually cut instead of a whole plate. The bark was setting up nicely so I decided to keep on the pit and skip the braise or wrap. I spritzed w/ beef stock every 30 mins till they reached 200. I probed and they still had more resistance than I liked. I ran them up to 206, probe tender! I wrapped tightly in several layers of foil and then several towels in preheated cooler for 3 hours. 

Mean while I made some mashed potatoes. I also and blanched, flattened and topped some Brussel sprouts w/ bacon crumbles S & P and greated parm for roasting. 

Firmed bark back up in broiler, sliced and served.

Shared w/ neighbors who were both laid up. He had hip surgery and she sprained her back.

We all enjoyed it. Looking forward to leftovers tonight. One rib was two servings. 

I love beef short ribs!

JD

IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

they good great. 

23 hours ago, Bigbeartroop122 said:

They look great, most, nice bark and smoke ring.

16 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Looks fantastic Jim... I too love short ribs, but haven't done them in quite awhile.. My wife doesn't care for their richness... I didn't chime in earlier, because I really don't have a "Recipe" or method...

Butch

6 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

they good great. 

Thanks everyone,

As much as I love pork butt & brisket, smoked short ribs are def my fave. Adjusting for this mistake proved to me that wrapping or braising isn't needed if the ribs are well marbled. I can only imagine how much more tender and juicy these would be if I had managed the pit better and kept it at a steady 250.

Also happy w/ that home made rub. I've gotta start measuring and writing things down. 

Best regards,

JD