Richard_the_Aughth

Anyone use a century weapon jr?

6 posts in this topic

My company has a program that allows you to spend 1k every year on "wellness". I normally use it to pay for my gym membership, but since I am leaving the company and wont be there the full year to accrue enough gym memberships, I ended up buying the weapon jr, 7'10" spinning rod. 

Does anyone use this rod for freshwater? I bought it because I have a slingshot for the surf and I know how well century rods cast and how well built they are, plus it is damn near impossible to find a freshwater rod longer than 7' unless you go for a salmon rod. This rod is nice because it can cast up to 2oz, so it can throw good sized jerk baits and metals. My only concern is if its too strong a rod for freshwater fish. I have used a mojo inshore for freshwater before and it was way too strong to feel the fish.

2 oz regularly is not something I would with the weapon jr.  1 1/2 oz for me is the lmit with 1oz being the Sweet spot.

Its a weight noodle for fresh water bass fishing unless you like a long delay. For me I would rather have 7' fast action or extra fast graphite rod. That's just me. You may like it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, The Riddler said:

2 oz regularly is not something I would with the weapon jr.  1 1/2 oz for me is the lmit with 1oz being the Sweet spot.

Its a weight noodle for fresh water bass fishing unless you like a long delay. For me I would rather have 7' fast action or extra fast graphite rod. That's just me. You may like it. 

Yea I saw that the sweetspot was 1oz and limit was 1.5oz after doing some research on this forum. I would probably never throw anything over an ounce actually, mostly 1/2, 3/4 and 1oz. I also saw that down to 1/2oz its ok, but not very good at 1/4oz. I will be fishing for trout and salmon with this rod.

I figure if i dont like it for freshwater I can always use it as inshore rod

Edited by Richard_the_Aughth

Look up some JDM seabass rods.  They are available from 7' to 10' and use similar blank construction as freshwater bass rods. "Boat seabass" rods will be around 7'.

I have the 7 footer rated for 1/4 to 1.5. it’s the best performing and most versatile rod i own. Throws the whole range incredibly well…. I’ve used it for bonefish, mutton snapper, caught 40+ inch snook and then on the same trip have used it for peacock bass and largemouth. I have also used it for schoolie stripers, but have no doubt I could handle a 25+ lbs fish on it.

it doesn’t feel like overkill on smaller fish (except for largemouth which fight like a wet rag) and didn’t feel undergunned on mutton or snook. 

34 mins ago, cbinvb said:

Look up some JDM seabass rods.  They are available from 7' to 10' and use similar blank construction as freshwater bass rods. "Boat seabass" rods will be around 7'.

That new Lunamis should be on his radar, but given 1k to blow on a rod...new Daiwa Morethan Branzino EX AGS.

There's a 97ML/M rated to 1.5oz that should suit his needs perfectly...and that rod weighs 4.4oz lol.