Jig It

Hook rash

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm getting lots of hook rash on my minnows and plug. Here is photo of sp minnow as an example. 

Any way to avoid it or protect it? Or just let it be after it set in? 

PXL_20210521_135149464~2.jpg

Looks fine, fish can hardly see anyway and maybe it looks good to them too. At least it appears experienced, I've seen many folks tackle, most plugs have never even been wet. It always amazes me, I think why would you buy all those expensive plugs and never fish them, the correct answer is, they seldom really fish, they just like to have the latest and greatest.

Toss it' as is, nothing wrong with that plug.

Thanks for all the feedback, makes sense to me. One condition that made me really wonder is that most of plug pictures either individual or collection on this forum, or on youtube they look nice and neat, so I thought I'm doing something wrong because I get hook rash pretty quick after few couple hour sessions. It just naturally did not connect that people can have lot of plugs mostly without hook rash. I thought they knew a trick that I wanted to learn lol. 

This is something I've thought about many times. People actually pay me MORE to build a guitar that looks old and beat up... basically like S**T. It's got a catchy name called 'relicing' So you build a really nice instrument, then proceed to scratch it all up, hit it with chains, drag it around some rocks etc....just beat it all up.... So I started thinking, how about plugs ? Build a nice looking one.... then soak it in some salt water for a week, bang it all up.... throw it on a pile of rocks a few times, give it some hook rash...... then market it as a ' mojo' plug and charge MORE for it than a brand new one !!!   :naughty: