pete214

Rod for Snook fishing

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Tackle industries 2-8 or 6-16oz casting rod and a Komodo SS 463 or 471 will do everything you'd ever need for snook fishing on a pier. For piers longer is better, better 8'6 and 9'6. 9' is most popular. Keeps the line away from obstacles, the stiffness helps a lot with that too. 

depends what size fish you're targeting, what lures and what bait you want to throw, RG suggested a good setup if you are planning on targeting fish on the larger side with some bigger baits and heavier lures

Thanks for the info. mostly fishing shrimp on 1/2 oz. to 2 oz. weights and lures 1/2 to 2-1/2 oz on the intracoastal in New Smyrna beach

I have a different take, All the successful guys on the pier I fish with use rods that are 7’ spinning in medium action and the reels vary with most using 20-30 lb mono!!!! These are younger guys who can crank and react to the fishes travel to break you off, The short rod allows you to keep rod tight to water for instant lift and crank also low visibility . Many buy Bass pro combos for 125-150. Nothing fancy, softbaits ,live shrimp free lined under and around the pilings. The technique is being quick!!!!!! I prefer conventional tackle, :rav:

17 hours ago, RAW said:

I have a different take, All the successful guys on the pier I fish with use rods that are 7’ spinning in medium action and the reels vary with most using 20-30 lb mono!!!! These are younger guys who can crank and react to the fishes travel to break you off, The short rod allows you to keep rod tight to water for instant lift and crank also low visibility . Many buy Bass pro combos for 125-150. Nothing fancy, softbaits ,live shrimp free lined under and around the pilings. The technique is being quick!!!!!! I prefer conventional tackle, :rav:

Thanks for the help. I have some 7 foot spinning rods medium and medium heavy action.  I am going to give those a try. Thanks again for all your help

On 1/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, pete214 said:

Thanks for the help. I have some 7 foot spinning rods medium and medium heavy action.  I am going to give those a try. Thanks again for all your help

Best bait/ must be fresh

30D17A72-40DB-401E-AB78-91A096B3F697.jpeg

F1CD7E0E-ACBF-47D9-A2C8-044AD90EC2DB.jpeg

3AA7AE85-DCAC-4904-B1DF-A2F31DD2683B.jpeg

4 hours ago, pete214 said:

Nice fish!! I am using live shrimp. Do you use fresh crab at all?

Almost always mullet for smell and big fish. Shrimp for everyone catches most snook but small 20-30”During clear water I use a 7’ bass pro rod. Spooled with 30lb Ande in clear and 20lb Flloro . Size 3/0 owner razor tip hooks  not heavyiest but holds everything. Got skunked today:dungeon::rav:

1 hour ago, RAW said:

Almost always mullet for smell and big fish. Shrimp for everyone catches most snook but small 20-30”During clear water I use a 7’ bass pro rod. Spooled with 30lb Ande in clear and 20lb Flloro . Size 3/0 owner razor tip hooks  not heavyiest but holds everything. Got skunked today:dungeon::rav:

Have not seen any fresh mullet in any bait shops. Thanks for info on hooks and line.

2 hours ago, pete214 said:

Have not seen any fresh mullet in any bait shops. Thanks for info on hooks and line.

I buy fresh at seafood wholesalers, all over, Always on the water as they are always unloading. Frozen is farrrrr less effective. Google in wholesale bait. Here everyone sells them , because there eaten. Where you fishing

On 1/31/2022 at 9:01 PM, pete214 said:

I am fishing New Smyrna Beach. I will look into wholesale bait companies near me thanks for the info

Ponce Inlet is a great place to fish. 

Ditto on the heavier 7 foot spinning rods.  Area I fished was a very confined dock area maybe 30 ft of open water by 15 wide.  Loaded with pilings which is where the snook were.  Drifting big live shrimp deep with a 7' St Croix med stiff   I could stop the smaller ones but when they got to 28-30 inch and up it was all over. Then I went and got a 7 Med heavy Silistar at a surplus store for $15.  Best move - the difference on the larger fish was markedly better.  Stiffer rod on the hook set allowed for turning them on the bite .  Getting their head up and then just cranking with max drag socked up tight got them turned out from under the dock.  I did still get smoked by some much larger ones though when the hit was way under the dock I was standing on.  My leader was 10 ft of 30 or 40lb flouro  with a double uni to 20 lb braid.  What would break would be the leader as they shredded it on the pilings.  Hence getting them turned and not giving them an inch was key.