EricL

2023 Toyota Sequoia

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

to sequoia or not to sequoia.

its such a nice new whip, especially the mid models with the TRD package.

gets crawl control, atrac?, and MTS drive modes.

got 2 young kids. a larger SUV than my 18 4runner is nice.

family hauler, trips, camping, beach orv, shopping, going for school dropoff/pickups, general moving stuff.

its basically a Sienna space wise, lifted onto a truck box frame.

i dont go rock crawling, or overlanding, so i dont care about that stuff.

since its based off the tundra,  im sure a mild lift and suspension will do lots of justice.

in stock form, the 4runner by all means is already more off road worthy than the sequoia.

wheel travel, articulation etc, no if ands or buts.

but the new sequoia.. i dont know...

i cant convince the wife for a tundra, but the sequoia might be in the a good choice for a daily.

maybe get the sequoia for daily, and then slowly turn the 4runner into a weekend offroader go fun ride?

Edited by EricL

The new Sequoia looks nice. It would be nice on road trips but seems too big to me for daily use when you don’t need all that space plus the gas mileage is probably terrible. All the soccer moms in the rich towns will still drive them though,

The big truck thing is one thing i like. Well.. id like the wife and kids to be in a big truck, has some presence on the road compared to a dinky little car that disappears into the background. Lol

Not really going to care much about gas mileage if im looking at something like this.

Edited by EricL

1 hour ago, Kneel said:

I'd expect combined 20mpg for the twin-turbo 6.  Not great, but certainly better than 15mpg for the outgoing 5.7... 

definitely better than the old land cruisers that sip at like 10mpg. lol

11 mins ago, EricL said:

definitely better than the old land cruisers that sip at like 10mpg. lol

Oh, I'm fully aware. :th:  The new ones are no different. And it certainly doesn't ipmropve when you lift and stuff 34's on them either... :dismay: 

IMG_3709.jpg.ec7268bd1fea155a4c349dabf10318c6.jpg

Doesn't seem to be any budget concerns but I'd still hesitate to be doing mild lift kits and suspension work on a new 23' Toyota Sequoia that has to be closer to $100K than $50K, thats when you know you've entered the world of hemoraging money. Unless your off roading and beach driving are daily occurrences, is it really needed? Does it void the warranty? Are you concerned that your chopping up factory engineered and designed equipment to be replaced and customized by possibly a good wrench but hard to compare with the expertise, experience, and having tested extensively with all the other components that make up the vehicle.

I know you won't because its a Kia but if are looking at the Sequoia, you owe it to yourself to look at the Telluride, you'll save $30K and have what everyone wants except for the name. Can't say they have Toyota's reliability or durability but Kia's willing to show you some backbone by offering to 10 year 100K mile warranty, pretty confident they have a good product and its sales record shows it.

If you gave me a choice of any vehicle for what you described, I'd go with a 4Runner which you already have or if the big Lexus is still a horse like it used to be, its a smoozed up Toyota.  Beautiful truck, I wish ya' luck but I'd keep it stock.

2 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Doesn't seem to be any budget concerns but I'd still hesitate to be doing mild lift kits and suspension work on a new 23' Toyota Sequoia that has to be closer to $100K than $50K, thats when you know you've entered the world of hemoraging money. Unless your off roading and beach driving are daily occurrences, is it really needed? Does it void the warranty? Are you concerned that your chopping up factory engineered and designed equipment to be replaced and customized by possibly a good wrench but hard to compare with the expertise, experience, and having tested extensively with all the other components that make up the vehicle.

I know you won't because its a Kia but if are looking at the Sequoia, you owe it to yourself to look at the Telluride, you'll save $30K and have what everyone wants except for the name. Can't say they have Toyota's reliability or durability but Kia's willing to show you some backbone by offering to 10 year 100K mile warranty, pretty confident they have a good product and its sales record shows it.

If you gave me a choice of any vehicle for what you described, I'd go with a 4Runner which you already have or if the big Lexus is still a horse like it used to be, its a smoozed up Toyota.  Beautiful truck, I wish ya' luck but I'd keep it stock.

whats the fun keeping it stock.

im sure ill get a sprint booster #1

and a mild lift wouldnt hurt. probably benefit more from sturdier front springs to prevent nosedives like the 4runner.

and since its a tundra base.  there will definitely be lots of nice parts available for it.

something the kia wont have.

but but but.. given, to use a a family hauler and occasion dirt road.

i know the Kia/hyundais do give such a good value proposition.

and they should also handle beach ORV with no problems.

my t4r also appreciated in value.  when i got it for about 42000

i only have about 3000 miles on it.  for a trd ORP. with NO sunroof. and KDSS.
last i checked, its value price is currently about 42000-48000.

more than what i paid.  :D :D :D

thats why i dont know what to do in this situation.

trade it, or keep it, because its rock solid resale.

if i trade it, then i still might need to lease a dinky sedan for under 200 for normal errands.

too many decisions  =X  =X

with how the current market looks like..

a trade in is tempting.

its almost (keyword almost) like a straight equal trade if the new sequoia

middle model, with the offroad package is about $60

but its trading in a excellent made in japan t4r for a made in texas truck.

its like me trading in my JDM reels for a Penn . . . head scratching. lol

I don’t understand the fascination with pick up trucks when they are not being used to haul stuff. Most new P/U trucks with their short beds suck as haulers and they suck as family wagons.  You can’t even place assembled rods in most pick up truck beds without standing them up. I’ve had expeditions which were fantastic family wagons and fishing machines. I could put fully assembled 11 foot rods in them with plenty of room for gear and nobody was stealing them while I was in the Wawa. As a bonus I could comfortable lay out and fall asleep in it as well. A sequoia is not a settle or compromise pick. It is the perfect family wagon/fish wagon and anything else is a compromise from the forerunner to a tundra. 

Edited by poopdeck

2 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

If you are in that range money wise a used fully loaded crew cab diesel truck would get better mpg when tuned. Better option over the sequoia if you want space, reliable, and mpg. Cummins then ford or Chevy. In fact you could probably start looking at any new EV trucks and suvs that are coming out soon. Sequoia very nice though and should be reliable.

16 mins ago, hystyk1921 said:

If you are in that range money wise a used fully loaded crew cab diesel truck would get better mpg when tuned. Better option over the sequoia if you want space, reliable, and mpg. Cummins then ford or Chevy. In fact you could probably start looking at any new EV trucks and suvs that are coming out soon. Sequoia very nice though and should be reliable.

like i said, pickups out of the question

family hauler is a must.

a crew cab definitely does not beat a sequoia size suv for space inside cabin.

I have no trouble getting my new 4Runner warrantied with the suspension modifications I have. Granted it's only been in for a water pump and a warranty fuel pump.

I wouldn't expect them to warranty any of the A/M components though. It is a Toyota. What do you think is going to break?

17 hours ago, Afrayedknot said:

I have no trouble getting my new 4Runner warrantied with the suspension modifications I have. Granted it's only been in for a water pump and a warranty fuel pump.

I wouldn't expect them to warranty any of the A/M components though. It is a Toyota. What do you think is going to break?

If you modify a vehicle and change from OEM parts or specifications, the dealer and manufacturer do not have  to honor the warranty, its in the fine print. I'll guarantee if you have any suspension issues or if something else is affected by your changes, they will challenge it.