Tacoma Reliability

The Riddler

I'm old school and blame the lift. The original suspension is just fine the way it is. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

Well, I broke the Jeep.i don't know what happened. Gonna limp it back to the rental agency and tell them if he had Good Year Duratrac's it would kick ass in the snow. 

On the flip side, I am glad I rented the jeep for a couple of days. The girl drove it and hated it. She wants a little luxury ride and comforts but sporty. 

102C7C81-B190-42D2-8E2F-5A173B7476DC.jpeg

2017?  That's waaaay too soon to have CV axle boot problems.  I had a CV axle replaced on my 2004 4Runner due to a busted boot.  What I didn't know is that the new after-market axle cost $100 and the original was worth $250 in the used parts market.  Make sure you get OEM or original reconditioned CV axle.  

Jeeps are fun second cars (toys) but make miserable daily drivers.  Especially if you drive on the highway.  

Good luck.

Well the Jeep had to be towed back. I have no idea what happened. :laugh:  

On the hook and heading back to get fixed. I think I will just limp in my tacoma till monday.

I plowed through a 7' tall snow bank. Nice to see the hood still covered.

4E748C42-352D-4F3B-8DC9-25200D15BB7D.jpeg

BC1B6A7E-D519-42A4-8B54-1A28CD21502D.png

Edited by The Riddler

22 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

Which Readi-Lift did you go with? 3"/2"? 3" front lift is too much without doing a differential drop imo. Also possibly too much without modified upper control arms. But the differential drop at least would create a less aggressive angle on the drive shafts and CV boots.

Ready lift up to 3" works without adding upper control arms to get into alignment spec. The average alignment person won't know how to do it. In fact, I still have the alignment numbers from 2018. 33's made it right to the end with no uneven wear. So the numbers works and I have stock upper.

From understanding about lift kits this was my first one on a Taco. The ready lift 3" in front and 2" in the back was a nice kit that along with wheel spacers fit 285's on a 17 taco sport. All I did was take off mud flats and front air dam and I had clearance. 

To be fair to Toyota, if you don't lift, the boots won't wear as fast. Any odd constant angle will rip these boots. A 2" lift  would have got more wear, 3" you get 65000. I'm positive I have a dift drop. Came with the kit. In 2018 Ready Lift was approved by Toyota. I have it in writing. I asked before I put the kit in. 

Who at Toyota approved your lift? I’ve asked them (two stealerships) in the past and have been told there is no lift that they can approve and any lift that I do may or may not affect warranty coverage. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Who at Toyota approved your lift? I’ve asked them (two stealerships) in the past and have been told there is no lift that they can approve and any lift that I do may or may not affect warranty coverage. 

Who? What are you an owl? In 2018 Ready Lift was approved.  I also have the federal trade commission on my side. 

12E914AC-C08B-4145-A883-02DB12526431.png

2 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

Toyota now offers their own lift for 3rd Gen Tacomas. It's pricey for what it is, but maybe worth looking into. When you buy a new Tacoma, you can also purchase the lift and Toyota dealerships will install it. I'm not positive, but I think it's like $1400.

Yes. In 2018 they didn't have that.