The Riddler

Tacoma Reliability

76 posts in this topic

2017 sport with 79,736. Both CV Axles are pissing grease and Outer tie rods gone, currently.  

In the past, 5 radiators, differential leak, Oil leak......and then you have frame rot coming and what ever else. 

I have the extended warranty to cover the cv axles and rods. No, I don't offroad. 

77313CEF-0ED0-4357-8254-AC695D7B4CF5.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

2017 sport with 79,736. Both CV Axles are pissing grease and Outer tie rods gone, currently.  

In the past, 5 radiators, differential leak, Oil leak......and then you have frame rot coming and what ever else. 

I have the extended warranty to cover the cv axles and rods. No, I don't offroad. 

Wow

Is this your truck ?

The one you took the cap off?

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Is it a 2017 that you bought used with 79,736 or did you buy it new in 2017?

5 radiators in 80k miles? sheesh.. 

I've got a 15 with 106k and honestly hasn't had anything fail yet and I do a tad bit of off-roading.

I 2nd the question on what's up with those zip ties? who works on your vehicle (if not you)?

Dam, from the looks of it you got a lemon.

I’ve had 2 Toyota trucks, 1 Chevy and currently in a Ford.

My first Toy had 300,000 miles on it when I sold it. Tacoma had 150,000 when I traded it in with no issues. Chevy had 130,000 miles when I traded it in for the F150.

The lift probably put the axle boots at a weird angle and caused them to crack. Swap out the shafts and you’ll be good for another 80K. I’m about to hit 150K with my second gen and no CV boot issues yet.

At least you have some undercoating protection with all that grease thrown everywhere. 

1 hour ago, DAQ said:

Any chance the CV and tie rod issues are caused by a lift kit?

I don't know.  Readylift is approved by Toyota, so I'm covered if they go that route.

33 mins ago, z-man said:

The lift probably put the axle boots at a weird angle and caused them to crack. Swap out the shafts and you’ll be good for another 80K. I’m about to hit 150K with my second gen and no CV boot issues yet.

At least you have some undercoating protection with all that grease thrown everywhere. 

I'm not doing sheet. Dealership on Monday. 

57 mins ago, z-man said:

Fwiw if he didn’t run the bearings dry (looks like might have with all that grease on the outside) Tacoma CV shafts are fairly easy to rebuild.OEM boot kits are like 40-50 bucks and imo a rebooted/greased OEM cv is better than any cheap aftermarket. I plan on rebuilding mines soon solely on mileage

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I'm not doing sheet. Dealership on Monday. 

If/when they say they won’t cover it because the ride height was altered then go with whole new axles. This is if you plan on keeping the truck for awhile. You won’t have to worry about them again. 

6 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I have a ‘16 Taco that had an oil leak discovered at 60,400 miles and Toyota covered it under the basic 60,000 power train warranty. This was the pull the engine timed cover gasket issue. 40+ hour job.  

I have been very satisfied with this truck. $10K less than my ‘17 Chief and probably worth more if I sold them now. 

Maybe time to consider diff drop .

Some day I may get chance to reboot my CV’s on my GX , noticed one boot ripped when I bought it with 95k . Somewhere along the way the other boot ripped . Will hit 200k in next month or so. When smallest accordion ripped on mine I just put zip ties on next one to snug down on axle. Doesn’t sling much grease and I would say 105k later my Gerry rig worked.