Gilbey

Oscillating Tool Options - Grout Removal

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I need to buy an oscillating tool for a big grout removal project. Any suggestions on make/model? Any suggestions on the best grout removal blade? 

Do you have other cordless power tools that you already use this way the batteries and chargers can be shared or you can save money and buy the tool only option. If not I like the Milwaukee’s corded or cordless. As far as the best blade see below, a bit pricey but it will last.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-2-1-2-in-Universal-Fit-Diamond-Grit-Grout-Removal-Multi-Tool-Oscillating-Blade-1-Piece-49-25-2271/313846875

I have a mixed bag of older Dewalt cordless tools and a little newer Ryobi cordless tools. I'll check out those blades, thanks. I never mind paying up for better quality. 

I have two corded. Ten year old Bosch, and a five year old Rockwell. 

The Bosch is heavier and a beast. But it's particular about certain blade fits.

The Rockwell was 1/3 of the cost, lighter, and has a more universal blade fit. And an easier blade change.  Both work fine. 

A buddy got a Milwaukee kit for Christmas. 18 v.

I used it a couple of times already doing stuff at his house. Cordless is the only way to go for this tool. Night and day on ease of use. 

And keep in mind that you can orient the blade like 200 something degrees to suit your job.  :th:  For grout removal, I would set the blade at one "click" past  90 degrees for ease of use and control . Keeps the operating hand in contact with the tile for stability. 

I've got several diamond and carbide blades for my oscillating tool and have never been impressed by how it cuts. Depending on the width of the grout line you might consider a grout blade for a reciprocating saw instead. Way more power than any oscillating saw, and you can gang blades on the holder for a wider cut.

61f4246d11699_GroutGrabber.jpg.0ccd48a1ef8a387d5e2ec29f639493cc.jpg

I saw that technique online Gell, and I own an reciprocating saw, but that sure looks like a lot to handle and keep control of. Grout lines are 1/4" sanded grout. Have you used this method? How did it work for you? 

On 1/28/2022 at 0:50 PM, Gilbey said:

I saw that technique online Gell, and I own an reciprocating saw, but that sure looks like a lot to handle and keep control of. Grout lines are 1/4" sanded grout. Have you used this method? How did it work for you? 

No, I've not had to remove grout (yet), but I've used these a lot demoing aggregate heavy 'plaster' on metal lath walls. More effective and cheaper than quickly dulled carbide tooth blades. These carbide grit blades are not expensive, seems to be to be worth a shot, especially as you have such wide grout lines.

On 1/28/2022 at 0:16 PM, gellfex said:

I've got several diamond and carbide blades for my oscillating tool and have never been impressed by how it cuts. Depending on the width of the grout line you might consider a grout blade for a reciprocating saw instead. Way more power than any oscillating saw, and you can gang blades on the holder for a wider cut.

61f4246d11699_GroutGrabber.jpg.0ccd48a1ef8a387d5e2ec29f639493cc.jpg

I would be afraid to get near tile with that

My wife insisted on doing this project while I was on an overnight fishing trip. Gave her the Fein and a couple grout blades I ordered for her. Only one slightly damaged tile. I see it but don't let it push my buttons. She did well given the amount of area she had to cover. Was expecting to replace a couple tiles.

I have a Dewalt 20v oscillating tool. It works great. I haven’t done any grout work with it though. That seems pretty tedious and painful. 

I tackled the first bathroom this weekend. I started with the one that was in the best shape. As it turned out, I didn't end up removing much grout at all. With a stiff nylon brush and some heavy duty cleaner I was able to clean the grout, and it came out pretty good. The only grout I removed was the line where the the tile meets the tub. That was cracked pretty good. I used a small cold chisel to break the rest free and replaced it with grout caulking. Otherwise, I spackled, wiped everything down, repainted, hung a new towel rack and called it a good weekend project with some time to spare to visit my local brewery for a couple beers Sunday afternoon! 

br1.jpg.15f434bb802bfa2db494d66e31c76876.jpg