GOM cod and haddock changes 2022

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

At the moment they are talking about raising the haddock limit to 20, and doing a slot sized extEnded season for Cod…could be an interesting off shore yeAr…if the snow and wind ever stops cancelling my trips!

This means there are more keeper opportunities for you not to catch, right?

Marty

2 hours ago, MartyK said:

This means there are more keeper opportunities for you not to catch, right?

Oh so tempted to comment, but Scott has suffered enough of our abuse and deserves to be cut some slack...

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

9 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

At the moment they are talking about raising the haddock limit to 20, and doing a slot sized extEnded season for Cod…

Got a reference on this Scott, can't find anything...

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

Oh so tempted to comment, but Scott has suffered enough of our abuse and deserves to be cut some slack...

Scott has singlehandedly shut down an entire industry.  The only difference between what he's done to fishing and what Biden has done to energy costs by stopping the pipeline is Scott is the victim of bad luck while Biden acted intentionally.

Marty

Tim Tower has a better summary on the Bunny Clark site.  This is only a recommendation and it's still two approvals away from regulations...

I was also keeping track of the Groundfish Committee meeting from friends who were attending it. And, at the end, I got a pleasant surprise; the Committee adjusted the motion of the RAP in the fashion that I had wanted initially but which most of the RAP members were against. It's also the most conservative. Now this is what the suggested regulations for the Gulf of Maine recreational angler will look like:

The Groundfish Committee recommends to the New England Fishery Management Council

Gulf of Maine cod- Adjust the open season, same for all modes

• Open season: September 1 - October 7; April 1 - 14
  • Minimum size: 22 to 28 inches slot limit
  • Possession limit: 1 fish per day

Gulf of Maine haddock - Increase the bag limit to 20 fish (from 15 fish)

• Open season: May 1-Feb 28/29; April 1-30
  • Minimum size: 17 inches
  • Possession limit: 20 fish per day

As you can see, they changed the minimum size for cod from 21 inches to a slot limit between 22 and 28 inches.

Keep in mind, this is just a suggestion to the Council. The Council can change it back, send it to the NMFS Regional Office as read or do something entirely different.

• 2 weeks later...

So since this is coming from for-hire captains, it may not be for recreational folk? Something to consider. 

This also seems like a trivial change. Now the guy that catches the cod of a lifetime is going to have to throw it back? Might be fine if there was more of a season and or letting us keep a few. Also, 15 vs 20 haddock? I don't need 20 haddock.. I will trade ya 5 haddock for 3 cod. Ha ha.

Pollock are still the best freezer fish to me and why i still fish offshore. What is weird is they are also the most unreliable to target and catch. 

19 mins ago, NHAngler said:

So since this is coming from for-hire captains, it may not be for recreational folk? Something to consider. 

IF approved, it's for everyone...  

ONE CHANGE made before final submission, the Cod limit is 22+".  The slot was eliminated, much to my dismay...

Do we really think these changes are brought about by a guy in a dress shirt in an office  who only knows what a Micky D’s fish sandwich is . Every change is benefit an account. But the mustard on the shirt guy will be on camera spouting about the improvements. The recreational fisherman loses. :rav:

On 2/11/2022 at 6:43 AM, Roccus7 said:

IF approved, it's for everyone...  

ONE CHANGE made before final submission, the Cod limit is 22+".  The slot was eliminated, much to my dismay...

Nice, so it will be legal when I keep a 29+" cod. Will be a win for everyone!

Edited by NHAngler

2 hours ago, MichaelT said:

Not changes YET, but recommendations on changes which would impact the September, 2022 season, not the April, 2022 one.  The devil is in the details:  The Council annually develops recommendations for recreational fishing measures for Gulf of Maine cod and Gulf of Maine haddock. These measures, which take the form of bag limits, seasons, and minimum fish sizes, are proactive accountability measures (AMs) that are intended to allow the recreational fishery to “achieve but not exceed” the sub-annual catch limits (sub-ACLs) for these stocks. GARFO considers the Council’s recommendations but has the final say in determining and implementing the measures

Edited by Roccus7

• 1 month later...