Jstripe

Bailless why?

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Y go bailless?? I've been into the surf fiishing for a year or 2 .. not like that matters pros n cons please n thank u .. I've heard some I just wanna hear from yall .. tight lines 

If you knock it against a rock, or your setup takes a tumble leaning against the truck in the parking lot, you won’t bend your bail wire.

I have two Bailes reels, I'm liking them both. All my other reels I have removed the auto bail trip on them. I flip the bail manuauly. for plugs or cut bait.

Even if you don't lose the lures when the bail closes accidentally... you eliminate that variable as you cast and can concentrate on proper technique, power and direction of each cast without worrying about that accident close.

Posted (edited) · Report post

As far as the bail,closing and loosing lures... I've lost more with a bailess when I'm not conscience of the rotor position when casting then the bail closing.

The thing I like about no bail is one less thing for sand to get into and bind up.

Edited by tcarroll

When casting time breaking fish I can have my line on my roller before the plug hits the water. 

Many times I have seen people cast, flip the bail and try to set the hook with a bailed reel If they line isn’t on the roller, it can and does open the bail and there is no hookset. 

I recently switched from bailed to bailess.  It takes some time to get used to bailess.  Especially at night.  After a dozen or so trips it should become almost automatic.  Like everything else just takes practice.

I don’t see any real advantage of going bailless. I prefer the convenience of a bail, especially if the wind is blowing hard. Each has its own pros and cons. Only time I prefer a bailless is if I’m wading to my waist and crank my reel half submerged. Your experience my vary. I got short fingers so my fingers can barely catch the line to put on the line roller lmao

3 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I have two Bailes reels, I'm liking them both. All my other reels I have removed the auto bail trip on them. I flip the bail manuauly. for plugs or cut bait.

I went bailess and never looked back for my plug casting setups.  I also did what Hunter recommended and modified my bailed reels so they are manual. No more snapped lines due to inadvertent bail trip. Do a google search for the modifications. 

Started fishing bailless in the 1970’s.

Over time, I converted lots of reels by removing bail wires and installing rollers.

Then I started fishing reels with bails that I could close manually.

I ended up liking that a lot .

Now I fish both bailed and bailless.

Both are good but neither is completely trouble free.

I still have a bunch of reels with bail trip springs that can’t be closed manually.

Those reels are used infrequently.