Nekowa

Alternative to expensive eyes.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

The dollar store offers 1/4" plastic beads. Get yourself several different colors. They also have loose-leaf protector rings, these are about 1/2" diameter with a 1/4" hole. Get a 3 pack of different colored markers. By coloring the rings, and varying the eyes you have many different options. I keep one pupil color for floating, one for neutral and one for sinking. A light epoxy coating keeps them in good shape. 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, Belerk said:

Good tip. Here’s a 1/4 plastic bead sticker mocked up in a wadd needle. 

4B4BB06E-DF2E-4CD2-9E41-5FD16FD2D721.jpeg

Awesome eye! Did they come clear originally? What are you painting them with?

On 1/29/2022 at 5:04 AM, lonellr said:

Awesome eye! Did they come clear originally? What are you painting them with?

Thanks! They are sticker backed foil with a plastic dome over them. I pop the plastic part off and sharpie the pupil on the foil. First attempt yielded a bubble in between the foil and plastic. I’ll play around a bit more but will probably buy some 3D eyes.  

I was thinking about getting one of those silicone sheet dimple/half sphere molds and trying to make my own eyes with epoxy. That was 3 years ago. Now, I'm out of every size except 5/16" white/clear eyes and a few randoms left over. I've never seen a variety pack on the mail order sites that had a variety of sizes and colors I wanted. So, I wait until I'm out of eyes and then get angry when I overpay.

Amazon sells fish eye stickers and 3D eyes for incredibly cheap. Search 3D fish eyes. They even have the ones with the realistic pupils. I got a variety pack with different sizes/colors with over 1000 eyes for like $11. The quality seems as good as any others I have paid a lot more for.

Bears den fly shop, get the big fly eyes I use half inch and I paid 12 for 100.  They offer bulk. Pricing so if you buy a ton you get better discounts.      I loaded up and for 1k assorted eyes I ended up paying 45$