JimK

Shore caught Halibut

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I came across this in my news feed.. totally cool.. looks like it might be way more hardcore than any striper fishing.. @TimS please set up a Norway fishing forum...

Screenshot_20220126-170644.png

There are a couple of Alaska surf fishing sites where guys soak bait on some really basic gear and catch 5-100lb halibut from shore for a couple of months each summer.

I won't lie...that looks pretty amazing...it's got to be an epic battle trying to drag one of those giant planer boards towards the rocks :th:

23 mins ago, liambrouillette said:

FC192107-F034-4A0F-B224-C79D765C55BA.jpeg.4cc603712b9285200d65f5d5af4136f0.jpegreminded me of this I saw a while back, Norway is definitely an underrated fishery it seems.

Fly caught, that’s pretty epic. 

23 mins ago, liambrouillette said:

FC192107-F034-4A0F-B224-C79D765C55BA.jpeg.4cc603712b9285200d65f5d5af4136f0.jpegreminded me of this I saw a while back, Norway is definitely an underrated fishery it seems.

That Wild Pursuits guiding page on instagram is pretty cool! So many insane halibut caught from shore! 

This is very, very exciting! Norway is an expensive place to travel to, but it sounds like it might be worth it. I’m gonna explore this. Seems like a very different type of fishing. 

Grew up as a kid here on L.I, fishing for flat fish with grandpa.

One of these has been on my bucket list forever.

From shore, unbelievable!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice, very nice! Those Norwegians are no slackers when it comes to shore fishing. And not for nothin', I'll bet many moons ago our coastal waters had huge Pollack too.:howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

When I started Surf Fishing (1976), almost every other edition of Salt Water Sportsman dealt with the surf, probably because Frank Woolner and his brother were avid surf fisherman.  I distinctly remember 2 articles - one dealt with winter surf fishing Montauk beaches for Cod, and Wet Suiters in Northern Cali and Oregon throwing huge Krocodile Spoons for Salmon of considerable size.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:12 PM, valentine said:

That’s an awfully big flounder.

Those are bad a$$ fish too.

Commonly dispatched with a rifle.

We dispatch all white perch that way too