Shakeyfly

Propeller Lure

8 posts in this topic

Trying to see if anyone has information on a lure or know any like it. My father told me it was from possibly an Artie's Tackle shop or hardware store in Pearl River, NY in 1965.  When I first started fishing with my dad, we used breadballs and bobbers. This shiny thing was in the old tackle box. I pulled it out once fished it and on the retrieve it got stuck on a rock, I yanked hard, it shot up into the tree. So I yanked even harder and two treble hooks got imbedded in my 9 year old arm. First trip to the ER for a fishing related injury, as it was too deep for any other method. 

Anyway, this thing has been sitting in every fishing room I've had since. I figured I would post here to see if anyone know this lure, it's name? do they still make them? I would love to figure out a way to make a mold to make a few just to have for actual fishing. But again, that's beyond any skill I possess. Looks brass. 

Torpedo lure - Copy.jpg

that's an imitation of an old-style Devon Minnow, used to be the thing to spin with in the UK for salmon and trout back in the 1800s.. 
They even made 'reversible fin minnows', idea being you could switch from one to the other once it started to twist the line.. 
This example is much simplified from the originals, but I bet you could get a bass to eat it ;-) 

Looks like a Devon Minnow style spinner.  Brass Body spinning on a wire shaft.  Very old style, I don't know if it was very effective.  Probably good for fast moving water.  Most likely better as a display lure once cleaned up.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Airex Devon Spinner

Between $5 and $10 in very good condition

Edited by Sudsy

I had a Stutter Plug back in the 80’s that I lost that was signed by Mel Tillis, story was when he fished with a few TV bass guys he signed some plugs. Had a slow motion blade and it didn’t catch me anything. Think one of sons used and lost. They still don’t know who he is. The lure was a joke , had neat story:rav:

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, RAW said:

I had a Stutter Plug back in the 80’s that I lost that was signed by Mel Tillis, story was when he fished with a few TV bass guys he signed some plugs. Had a slow motion blade and it didn’t catch me anything. Think one of sons used and lost. They still don’t know who he is. The lure was a joke , had neat story:rav:

Which Mel Tillis?  Actor or singer?

Edited by Captain Ahab