iphish

One persons view of the Hall of fame

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Roger Clemens was in a charity golf tournament that I was helping out with on cape cod (Willowbend, Paul Firermans, course President of reebok) After the tournament I hung out and drank beer with him and his wife for a couple of hours. everyone had left. We talked about everything, why he left Boston and went to Toronto, Players, golf game, dirty jokes, politics you name it. What a lot of people don't understand about him is he quite the philanthropis and really works his ass off in the off-season. 

He said it right there. Played to make a generational difference for his family first... So $$$$$$. Accomplished on the field of play? Absolutely. I remember the 20 strike out games (as well as Hurst getting 18 the next day). But I also remember him throwing the broken bat at Mike Piazza... There seemed to always be something bothering his monster Texas sized ego. My mother went to her grave dissing him like a petulant child for complaining about how hard it was to carry his own luggage/bag on road trips.... Really? These are the problems of millionaire star athletes in their prime. Some of the regular folk cannot relate. Nor forget. Good he can move on. We can too.

Just a guy who made some bad decisions that’s all , happens everyday .plenty of real good guys in the game but It was a unfair advantage to the guy who stepped in the box . Just proves  professional sports are not legitimate . 

Back then the stimulants were said to help injury recovery. We know different, but during that era including Sosa, McGuire etc was truly exciting. Todays game sucks! We have players use all types of drugs for some pretty lame reasons. But doctors are found to say#^^++^?’.To me they all should get in with an asterisk. Todays new players could are less about the Hall. So now we lower the mound , bring fences, change reliever rules and the game sucks, Kudos to Orioles for moving fences back. Every sport today supports drugs!!!!! Olympics started it all, There’s a tennis player you on tv every 30 seconds who won championship on the TUES. Now NFL wants drug testing limited as it’s an interference. . Sports today are run today by hollier than thou piss heads:rav:

Baseball writers that won’t vote for guy on a character clause yet one of theirs is in and is a known child molester. Lol. 

We had a kid in town. Young boy. Loved baseball. Really liked Roger Clemens. He was dying of cancer. We even organization based on donations called The dream factory and the dream factory decided to take this kid in fulfill his dream. Any dream he wanted. His dream was to meet Roger Clemens and be able to throw, bat and catch with him. So they contacted Roger's agent.  Roger was down in Texas and Roger agreed to come up to our little town 1 hour north of Fenway and play catch with the boy and I'm sure they were going to be some other things that he could also do with him. As the day approached and everyone in the town was expecting Roger Clemens to show up Roger instead sent a private plane up to a local airport. Contacted the boy had the boy, his immediate family, a nurse with the necessary medical equipment that he might need flew down to Texas for a week. Roger spent according to the family and enormous amount of time with the boy. After a week of staying at Rogers house they all flew back, this time with Roger aboard. about a month and a half later the boy was dead at the age of 9. That's Roger Clemens and something you won't find in the headlines. I'm confident there are professional athletes everywhere that also have done similar. 

I think few are clean anymore, I also think sign stealing and other forms of cheating should be a no vote. But who cares , only us old memorabilia geeks! . Softball keg leagues were fun. For years my wife and I camped to see what we could of HOF ceremonies. No more after MLB pulled game from  Atlanta. Most players you would meet in Cooperstown were great. :rav:

How did Big Papi get in and the other roid folks are left at the door, he got caught too ? 

HOF better look and see by leaving guys like Clemens, A Rod, Bonds. etc. out, they are watering down the same folks they are in business to promote.  these guys, if you go to the HOF you are seeing the best of the players from the late 90's till now, and not having Rose in just shows how political it all is. Like them or not, they are the best of their era, and if you think they cheated and their teamattes didn't your whislin' in the weeds.

Nobody should go and let them close the doors or get some folks in charge with a backbone.

Rose's case isn't the same as the juicers. From the time you sign a contract and start in A ball, it's drilled into your head that betting on baseball is THE cardinal sin in the game. There are warning signs about it in every clubhouse. Rose also made an agreement with Giamatti that he would accept a lifetime ban in return for having the investigation into his gambling end. 

16 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Rose's case isn't the same as the juicers. From the time you sign a contract and start in A ball, it's drilled into your head that betting on baseball is THE cardinal sin in the game. There are warning signs about it in every clubhouse. Rose also made an agreement with Giamatti that he would accept a lifetime ban in return for having the investigation into his gambling end. 

Rose is a criminal, liar and cheat who played MLB