Jacks

My first crab fly

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

looks good if I'm a worm looking up, I think.  Usually the bottom of a crab is lighter than the top.  What does the top look like?

Probably get more pertinent information from the fly tying forum.  And ultimately the only opinion that matters is the fish's to quote a few others, so go fish it.

Edited by Oakman

3 mins ago, Oakman said:

looks good if I'm a worm looking up, I think.  Usually the bottom of a crab is lighter than the top.  What does the top look like?

Probably get more pertinent information from the fly tying forum.  And ultimately the only opinion that matters is the fish's to quote a few others, so go fish it.

Ok I'll add it to that forum too. That is the top view. Maybe I should have had the hook opening up?

Good start, my comment would be to get some rubber silly legs to add some movement and some color.  Crab legs usually have some orange/ red etc

33 mins ago, Jacks said:

Ok I'll add it to that forum too. That is the top view. Maybe I should have had the hook opening up?

Where you have the lead eyes tied in will cause the hook to ride point up, which is what you want for a crab fly, so you have tied the fly upside down.

10 hours ago, Oakman said:

Where you have the lead eyes tied in will cause the hook to ride point up, which is what you want for a crab fly, so you have tied the fly upside down.

Eek ok. Should I tie it with the lead eyes on the underside? With the hook point up?

11 hours ago, Foureel said:

Good start, my comment would be to get some rubber silly legs to add some movement and some color.  Crab legs usually have some orange/ red etc

Will do. Thanks!

looks pretty good to me.    This is what I fish most of the time when in crab waters.  It has cross-over appeal.  This fly caught a lot of fish last summer and fall.

crouser 2.jpg

48 mins ago, Jacks said:

Eek ok. Should I tie it with the lead eyes on the underside? With the hook point up?

You are not seeing what you are saying.  Step back, relax and take a good look, at other crab flies, re read what I wrote, and then look at what you tied.  If you don't learn to analyze your own ties you will never get any good at it. 

Hey Title guy,  that’s a sweet looking crab fly,  is that a homemade design or does it have a name?  I’m  always looking to improve the flies I present,  especially crab flies, haven’t found an effective one that I like tying.

Thanks, Archie

34 mins ago, Oakman said:

You are not seeing what you are saying.  Step back, relax and take a good look, at other crab flies, re read what I wrote, and then look at what you tied.  If you don't learn to analyze your own ties you will never get any good at it. 

Ok I'll do that. I see what you mean now. Thank you