RedGreen

Hobie 180 drive failure

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm starting to see why people say these things suck. 

4 trips out in my PA14. This is a 180 turbo drive I built from scratch using new replacement and spare parts. I'm a fairly strong person with decent endurance I think, I can cruise in my boat at 4.5mph with 2-3 rods, fully loaded backpack with gear, surf bag, backup drive, couple rod holders stowed, 4.5lb anchor, + 6' chain, 100' anchor line, buoy, and beach wheel cart, and 28quart cooler/livewell 1/3 full of water, as a summary of the items that contribute the most weight. I weigh about 185lbs and am 6' tall. 

Am I exceeding what these fins are supposed to be able to handle? I don't believe I am, it's not like I'm sprinting or doing anything crazy, just fishing and moving around at a clip that gets me there but is sustainable physically. 

The drive that came with the boat (V2) I have had out a dozen times and aside from the stupid fin retaining pins there have been zero operational issues nor any observable damage/wear. 

4 trips on the 180 drive and one of the fins is totally delaminating from the spine. 

IMG_20220125_202724640.jpg.6e9c2fac5169e240b6e252dd63004826.jpg

IMG_20220125_202750559.jpg.1cfa2470e95b6ca0a9177edd5761e970.jpg

Am I pushing this thing too hard or does it just suck. Think there's a chance I could get warranty replacement fins? 

Edited by RedGreen

No, it sucks. Get the gt drive brand new and dump that one. Which reminds I have to do the same thing.

5 mins ago, The Riddler said:

No, it sucks. Get the gt drive brand new and dump that one. Which reminds I have to do the same thing.

I was actually thinking of just upgrading my V2 to a GT; I do feel like the addition of the needle bearings makes the system more work efficient, at least at cruising and low speed. You don't think Hobie will warranty replace these fins? I need the reverse function to satisfy the boat's purpose in chasing tarpon around the passes and bridges here. If they won't warranty them I'll fix the stupid things myself. 

Many of us have fixed the drives for years. My v2 I had to thru bolt the drums. Lock in a number and it would come out and the drum would be trashed. Stainless steel bolts solved it. Always something.

Just now, The Riddler said:

Many of us have fixed the drives for years. My v2 I had to thru bolt the drums. Lock in a number and it would come out and the drum would be trashed. Stainless steel bolts solved it. Always something.

Didja notice the zipties retaining the fins on the posts? Did that on my V2 drive too. The pin actually tore out of the plastic hub it's supposed to interface with. Deleted both and just replaced with 2 heavy zipties. Solved. 

9 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Didja notice the zipties retaining the fins on the posts? Did that on my V2 drive too. The pin actually tore out of the plastic hub it's supposed to interface with. Deleted both and just replaced with 2 heavy zipties. Solved. 

Bottom pic shows the thru bolt. 

87A57802-93F0-4A66-8901-99A9D2BEE50A.jpeg

C2D6B913-BE22-4B5D-BB52-9E5C5CEC552A.jpeg

Haven't had that issue at all, the stock components on the pedal arms have been totally reliable for me. It's the V2 drum cover, retaining the fins and the 180 turbo fins that I have had issues with. I fixed them last night with some zipties, just need some good duct tape to smooth it out so line can't catch on them and I'm gtg. 

same thing happened to me.  i was told its fairly normal for them to flex like that.  obv if the fin tears through thats a problem but i really fail to see how this could be called a "failure" throw some gorilla tape over them its not really that big of a deal

Screenshot_20220126-134623_Gallery.jpg

Edited by gobigblue

It's a failure because the body of the fin is tearing away from the plastic encapsulating the fin shaft. Enough use would see it rip off completely, then I have no propulsion. Look a little more closely at the picture

Edit 2:36pm:

So my picture doesn't really show the full extent of the damage. In person messing with the fin you can see light through it, there's nothing holding the very end of the fin to the mast anymore. It's quite literally tearing off. I'll follow up with a picture of my fix when completed. 

Edited by RedGreen

Reverse is a really awesome feature but the 180 drive is simply garbage. I have to bring my backup GT drive wherever i go because the 180 drive fails very often. Most of the failures are due to "new features" such as the garbage roller bearings and new fin design. 

Your beloved GT drive has the same "garbage" roller bearings as the 180 drive. 

The fin design... Meh. Construction quality is the issue I think not the design. If anything I'd bet the 180 fins provide more thrust and are a more efficient design than the GT fins. I just wish it weren't built like crap

Edited by RedGreen

19 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Your beloved GT drive has the same "garbage" roller bearings as the 180 drive. 

The fin design... Meh. Construction quality is the issue I think not the design. If anything I'd bet the 180 fins provide more thrust and are a more efficient design than the GT fins. I just wish it weren't built like crap

Not sure if the gt bearings are the same but if you look through the search feature here there is a tutorial to lube the gt.

Just now, The Riddler said:

Not sure if the gt bearings are the same but if you look through the search feature here there is a tutorial to lube the gt.

Through the net they look the same. The bearings in my 180 have not had any operational issues and only improved the drive's efficiency

I am curious do you guys think this is islolated to the turbo fins or to any fins on the 180? 

Also do these failures happen on all hobie yaks or just the beasts?

What is interesting about the PA 14 is pretty heavy 144 # and that I notice that it has a skeg and a rudder..  I wonder if the failures have something to do with the mass and the surface area of the hull and the skeg, I would imagine in cross current there is probably a lot of pressure on the whole kayak.   Looking at the pics the relative size of the fins are tiny. That thing is a beast.  @RedGreen  It is pretty amazing you can go at 4.5mph in this thing.  No matter, the fins should be designed right to handle it, but just looking at the pic makes me think they would have a tremendous amount of force on them.

Edited by puppet

Considering people have broken the 1/4" steel cables holding the drive together after they corrode a bit, yeah, there's a lot of force on them. 

The pro anglers are kind of unique in the Hobie line as they aren't a typical hull design, sort of a cross between a catamaran and single hull. I think that's what lends them the stability they're known for. 

As for the fin failure it's pretty clear the fins can't sustain the repetitive forces they are seeing when in use; but I think it's a manufacturing issue as the V2 fins on the original drive are totally unaffected by my time using them. I don't think the skeg contributes a ton to drag, I personally use it a lot when going a distance from point A to B or when there is a lot of wind. The PA gets blown around a lot since it sits so high. 

Edited by RedGreen